The Firearms Forum banner

Another Range Report!!

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  popgun 
#1 ·
I got out today and did a little shooting. Thought I'd share a little of it with some of you. Now I ain't the best shot around, so don't hold me to no high standards. I do what I can, and think I can get the job done if need be. I started out with the old .45. It's a Jim Clark, Norinco, custom that he built for me 20 years ago. 230gr ball, at a measured 20 feet, free hand. I shot up 150 rounds but left the last 16 rounds for the first two targets, pictured below, 8 rounds per target. I then switched guns and went to a Charter Arms Bull Dog, DAO. I shot 100 rounds of .44spcl, 240gr LFN, the last 5 rounds in the third target, slow fire, again at 20 feet. I then went to the SP101. Again shooting from the 20 foot line, 148gr Hornady XTP's. Shot up a 100 round bag of ammo, the last 5 in the fourth target. It was a good day, shooting on my own land, with ammo I made, in guns that I love! Wish some of you could have been here to share it with me!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks pretty good to me Carver. I love big bullets because they make big holes. I am jealous of you being able to get out and shoot. They are calling for 27 degrees in the morning and that is way to cold for me to get out. My cousin that lives on the lake down near Many LA has been rubbing in the temperatures he has been having but I told him I don't have to sweep up any yellow pine pollen and they don't even know what a love bug is up here. :D

#4 ·
All I know is I better not pi$$ you off from within 20 feet!;):)

Nice shooting! How do they do at longer ranges?

Although the Bulldog may be the only one from the looks of the targets that might give you trouble shooting a decent group slow fire standing at say 25 yds, that's OK, a Bulldog is pretty much intended to put somebody down from close range and it would definitely do that in your hands.

But the other ones show promise in your hands from a little farther back though....

#6 ·
The .45 is actually sighted in for 25 yds, and is a bunch more accurate than I am. I can easily keep all shots in the black at 65 yds. 30 yds for the Bull Dog is about it, at that range I can barely keep all the shots on a man size silhouette. I haven't tried the .357 at distance yet. Inthewind, I also once owned an early model Bull Dog, someone stole it from me a long time ago. With that gun I was fearless! Poney Bottles stood no chance with me at all! Winchester Silver Tips inside 30 yds; I never missed!

#7 · (Edited)
Great shooting Carver.

A place without love bugs??
Does such a place actually exist? :eek: :confused: :D
That time of the year ought to be just around the corner. One of them at any rate, seeing as they tend to grace our windshields twice a year.:rolleyes:

Art

#8 ·
No lovebugs, and no pine pollen! We ought to start a thread on Lovebugs! Something along the line of "Your worst Lovebug Experience"! Think it would get any hits?

#9 · (Edited)
"Your worst Lovebug Experience"! Think it would get any hits?
Yes. :D
Ya gotta admit, for a bug, they lead a interesting life.
That is, until they meet up with your truck or car. ;) :p :D

Attachments

#10 ·
I used to hate to ride during love bug season. They aren't too bad up here where we are, but my brother lives in Lake Charles. Riding a motorcycle at the hight of love bug maddness is not fun! The stink will get to you just before you lose the ability to see where you are going!

#11 ·
Oh, man. They get Thick down here. lol
I think bikers who ride with a smile, get more protein per mile down here, than you could get nawing on a side of beef. ;) :D

Art

#12 ·
nice shooting carver. You could definitely get the job done. I cant wait til the meet next month!

#13 ·
Me too! Got to reload a few rounds before I leave here though. Might need some help with a new rifle I bought, and will be bringing it along too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.