The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes boys and girls, it is time once again for another hypothetical question.

You are disarming someone. The first gun you removed is a cocked-n-locked 1911. He has more stuff, so you need your hands free. You stick the gun in your jacket pocket.

Now, would you stick the 45 in your pocket cocked-n-locked, lower the hammer on a live one, or unload the gun first?

I don't expect this to ever happen, which is why I called it hypothetical. But I just saw this on a TV show, and she just stuck the cocked gun in her pocket. While I know that cocked-n-locked is safe, that just kinda made me shudder.

I, personally, would have stuck it in my waistband, Mexican carry. Stuck it in there cocked-n-locked. Because it would not have moved, that way. But, stuck in a jacket pocket, and everytime she moved the weight of it caused the jacket side to swing away from her. Kinda scary.

So, if you was gonna put it in your suitcoat pocket, how would you do it?

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
What leaps to mind is something I experienced first hand. A friend of mine decided to have install a trigger adapter (for lack of a better word) that made his trigger wider and therefore more comfortable for his trigger finger. The weapons was a S&W 4" revolver. It felt great. I stood beside him as he holstered the weapon. The wider trigger adapter caught on the holster and fired the weapon. I say that to say this. When you disarm anyone you have no idea what they have done to their weapon. Just sliding my friends weapon into your pants would earn you a purple heart when the trigger met your belt. I've also seen people take weapons and file this or loosen that. I know a Colt Officers Model from the factory is safe locked and cocked. I have no idea what this perp has done to the one I just seized from him. It may go off by bumping it. Or it may be safe to wedge into my belt. However....
At this point in my life there is a good chance I would shoot him at least three times and lay the weapon on a table out of his reach. :eek::p
Of course that may be considered inappropriate by some. :D:D:D

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
The only handgun I've personally removed from someone was a "Saturday night special" revolver. Thankfully, he was compliant so I cuffed him first.

In this scenario, I'd de-cock the hammer first if at all possible. If the person was actively resisting, I'd attempt to toss the firearm in a safe direction or hand it to another officer. If neither of those were an option, and the perp was actively resisting and in possession of a gun, well...

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
That said, our training is to place the recovered firearm into our holster and put our own firearm into our pants as we know the functionality of our firearm but not theirs. But again, that's if the person in question isn't resisting which obviously makes the situation different.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts

You are disarming someone. The first gun you removed is a cocked-n-locked 1911. He has more stuff, so you need your hands free. You stick the gun in your jacket pocket.

Now, would you stick the 45 in your pocket cocked-n-locked, lower the hammer on a live one, or unload the gun first?

I don't expect this to ever happen, which is why I called it hypothetical. But I just saw this on a TV show, and she just stuck the cocked gun in her pocket. While I know that cocked-n-locked is safe, that just kinda made me shudder.

I, personally, would have stuck it in my waistband, Mexican carry. Stuck it in there cocked-n-locked. Because it would not have moved, that way. But, stuck in a jacket pocket, and everytime she moved the weight of it caused the jacket side to swing away from her. Kinda scary.

Why would I disarm him, I'm not a cop! The only time I will pull my gun from it's holster is if there is a need to shoot someone! If he is still alive after I've shot him, then he has already dropped the gun, or I'm still shooting!

·
Registered
294 Posts

It depends on the perp. His life is in his hands. Since I am not a cop I would not get near him. I would stand back about 10 or 20 feet with his center mass in my cross hairs so to speak and wait for the cops. If he moved wrong while waiting I would empty the magazine as quickly and as accurately as I could.

Now not to try and trump you but lets take this one step more and lets see if we can get some feed back from a few cops.

What should we do if this situation comes up? You roll up on this situation. One person is standing with his fire arm pointed at another man who is laying on the ground. The call said there were two men with guns that is the only information you have. When you exit your vehicle the guy on the ground starts screaming "Help me he's crazy he said he was going to kill me." The guy standing is screaming, "He's got a gun. Be careful he's got a gun."

What do you do and what do you want us to do. Assuming we are the guy standing up.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
umm I am "disarming" someone....

first off I am not a Policeperson...so for me to "disarm someone" would mean the perp is already dead..so I would simply lay the firearm to the side and continue searching to see if there isnt something else I can scanavage before the Police do arrive!

·
Registered
17,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why are y'all putting logic into a hypothetical question? In a hypothetical question, the reason WHY you are doing something does not matter.

"Hypothetically, you are walking a wire between the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building". WHY WOULD I DO THAT?? IT does not matter why.

"Hypothetically, if you found three people that appeared to have drowned - an old man, a young kid and a member of the Swedish Bikini Team, which would you perform CPR on?" I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO CPR. It does not matter.

HYPOTHETICAL

·
Registered
17,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But maybe this will help.

There is a cocked and locked 1911 laying on the table. There are 16 children ranging from 4 to 9 wandering around the room. There are also 9 adults with Alzheimers, along with Forrest Gump and his two stupid cousins.

You pick up the gun, to keep it out of the hands of someone that might shoot themselves or others. But since you need both hands - one to pick you nose and the other to scratch your butt, you stick the gun in your jacket pocket.

Would you put it in you pocket as is - cocked and locked - lower the hammer on the live round, or unload the gun?

·
Registered
17,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
siplace, if you're "not a cop", why did you call him a perp?

Same question for hunter29180.

·
Registered
17,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've actually thought about that one, siplace, with the scenario of there being two people in plainclothes, one with a gun pointed at the other, and both claiming to be a cop.

The obvious solution is for the arriving armed people (if the "cops" is just one officer, this will not go well) to hold guns on BOTH of the originals, the "original" holding a gun is disarmed, and THEN the arriving armed people sort out who is who.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
probably leave it as is on safe cocked and locked and shove it in my belt someplace probably on my weak side. That's assuming I don't have two seconds to unload/clear it real quick.

you could set it down but then you take the risk of they guy getting ahold of it again...

I would not lower the hammer on a live chamber, if I have the hands to do that, it's getting unoaded quickly.

·
Banned
1,718 Posts
The obvious solution is for the arriving armed people (if the "cops" is just one officer, this will not go well) to hold guns on BOTH of the originals, the "original" holding a gun is disarmed, and THEN the arriving armed people sort out who is who.
Give or take a few very minor details, this is exactly what the training entails. We're also trained to be on the other side of the coin (the plain clothes person pointing the gun), which is a much more precarious situation to be in. SOP is to drop your weapon when ordered to do so and initiate a prescribed set of identifying procedures. If the real perp gets away in the middle of this, so be it. Safety comes before ego.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts

OK, more clear on what you want. I would stick the pistol in my waist band, cocked, and locked. It's not going to go off unless both safeties are defective. If the situation should turn into a fight, I wouldn't want that weight swinging around freely in my coat pocket.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
What should we do if this situation comes up? You roll up on this situation. One person is standing with his fire arm pointed at another man who is laying on the ground. The call said there were two men with guns that is the only information you have. When you exit your vehicle the guy on the ground starts screaming "Help me he's crazy he said he was going to kill me." The guy standing is screaming, "He's got a gun. Be careful he's got a gun."

What do you do and what do you want us to do. Assuming we are the guy standing up.
When the boys in blue roll up you had best be unarmed. If you do have a gun in your hand, you had better be real quick to do what ever the cop says for you to do! He does not know what the details, or circumstances, are, and untill he does, he has to assume that his life may be in danger from anyone at the scene. He won't take chances if he wants to go home at end of shift!

·
Registered
294 Posts
siplace, if you're "not a cop", why did you call him a perp?

Same question for hunter29180.
No, I am not a cop but I have some shooting friends and hunting buddies who are. I live in a very small town. That and the fact that at one point in my life I worked private security is as close as I come to being a man in blue.

I guess I used the word perp, and the phrase "Roll up on" and other cop speak cause that is how they talk on TV, and I suppose I have heard it from my cop buddies a time or three.

I am not LEO in any way shape or form. But I am pro-cop. I think cops have a hard job and I have some small idea of what they deal with everyday. Face it if part of the everyday equipment you use for your job is a bullet proof vest.... You've got a hard job.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Cocked and locked does not bother me, putting a gun, any gun in my belt where I have tender parts in close vicinity to the muzzle does not appeal to me. If I had to keep him covered it would go in a pocket but unlikely that would happen. Even us Shore Patrol knew how to lay them down or spread them out on a wall or car. With the person you are disarming temporarily out of position and unable to make a fast threatening move I'd drop the magazine and lock the slide back Just like I would taking a gun from anybody. Always worked in pairs so there was another man to take the gun or to keep the person covered while I secured it in a safe place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts