The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across an Ansley H. Fox double barrel shotgun with serial number 8332 A. The patented date is August 1, 1905 and the dates below it are October 17, 1905 - January 16, 1906. The barrels are stamped "Krupp Fluid Steel".
I don't know much about shotguns but I would say the gun is in fair condition. The stock has been altered (rubber pad?), it is a 12 g. The bluing is worn where you would hold the gun with your non-trigger hand and there is some light rust on the metal. The wood stock is scratched and dinged a bit but no deep gouges.
Sorry for the non-technical information but could you give me any idea what the gun would be worth?

·
Registered
353 Posts
zittelcorp,

Per Shooter45's recommendations, pictures are necessary for a realistic estimate of value.

Until then, if that 12 gauge A grade Fox is mechanically sound with all original specifications but what sounds like very little original finish, might be valued in the $400 - $600 range.

If its original factory specs and mechanics have been compromised, it would be worth less. For example: barrels cut/shortened, stock cut/shortened, cracks in the stock, pitting in the metal parts, pitted and/or dented barrels or if it doesn't work, it would be worth less.

With serial number 8332, it would probably have been made around 1907 +/- a year.

But we need pictures.

Jolly

·
Registered
353 Posts
zittelcorp,

Thans for posting the pictures of your Fox.

Looks like it doesn't have much finish left and the opening lever is just a little left of center which is not a good thing but not terrible.

If the rest of the gun looks similar and no sins as I mentioned in my post above, I'll keep with my original estimate of worth: around $500 +/- a hundred bucks. That would be my estimate for this part of the country, the northeast, upstate NY. It may have more value in other parts of the country.

Hope this helps.

Jolly

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Too bad the finish is the way it is but all day long it's a $500-$600 shotgun...nice piece.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts