Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Antique Deringer Philadelphia Pistols

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Auron, May 4, 2017.

1. Auron

Auron New Member

Good afternoon everyone!

I really know nothing about guns, but I am an antiques dealer and I have come into possession of two small Deringer pistols.

Both looks exactly the same, same designs and markings.

"Deringer Philadela" behind the hammer and "Deringer Philadela" with a sunburst P on the barrel.

Does these look authentic to you pros? and if so, do they have a relative value? One hammer cocks and trigger fires with a lot of pressure. The other's hammer is loose and the trigger is stuck, and the german silver inlay on the grip needs to be replaced.

I'd also like to get them repaired and the inlay restored. Does anyone know of a good gunsmith/repair in Florida? DSC_8945.jpg DSC_8946.jpg DSC_8947.jpg DSC_8950.jpg DSC_8952.jpg DSC_8953.jpg DSC_8955.jpg DSC_8948.jpg DSC_8949.jpg

Kippy and One Shot like this.
  2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yes sir, they look authentic to me. Now the question becomes are they real Henry Deringer, derringers. I'm inclined to think they are as most copies misspelled his name, using two "r's" rather than the correct spelling of the single "R". However, I'm not all that well acquainted with either the originals or the copies.

If they are genuine Henry Deringer's yes, they should have significant value. They appear to be well made so even if they are copies and should have a decent value. Typical of "imitation being the sincerest form of flattery" some of the copies were as well made as Deringer's. Some were also junk.

I'm sorry I can't help you with a gun smith in Florida, I've been there twice. There's several members who live there and I suspect one will know of a good 'smith.

Nice pair!! I enjoyed seeing them, thank you!

3. Auron

Auron New Member

Thanks a lot for your input Sharps, it's most appreciated. I've spent hours researching these things, but getting opinions from people who deal with this kind of stuff I usually find more valuable.

4. rhmc24

rhmc24 Well-Known Member

Auron and joe45c like this.
  5. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

I don't know what pics you're looking at Sharps but the ones I see only have one R. :D

Auron and joe45c like this.
  6. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

They sure look nice. I am not well versed in Henry Deringers other than many copies use the double R as has been mentioned. The one thing I have noticed on the few originals I have seen is that the engraving on the lock and hammer match. The two derringers shown have no engraving on the hammers. ( something to look into?)
    I really don't know if they are the real thing or a copy , however I will say that they are very well made.

joe45c and Auron like this.
  7. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

Guys, LOOK at the picture RHMC24 posted.
    Can you not see the differences?

8. grcsat

grcsat Well-Known Member

After looking at a few dozen pics of Henry Deringers ( all claiming to be original) I still don't know.
    Some have a nose cap, some have a slight snobel,some are single band and some are double band, some have a P stamp and others have a P sunburst stamp. this is very confusing. there is even different types of bolsters.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    joe45c and Auron like this.
  9. sharps4590

Hawg, that's what I said. Those pictured by Auron show only the one "r". I haven't seen a lot of any kind, copies or original Deringer's, but the originals I've seen always spelled his name with one "r" and had the Philadelphia address.

All the Henry Deringer's aren't going to be exactly alike. That's like expecting every Isaac Haines or J.P. Beck rifle to look exactly alike.

Given the apparent quality and possible value of the two pieces seems to me only an examination by a qualified curator will answer the question.

10. Auron

Auron New Member

Thanks everyone for inputting on these pistols, I really appreciate it. I know there are several, if not numerous, variations that were crafted by Deringer (some with silver inlay, some with german silver, etc) and obviously ones that have that thing under the barrel as RHMC24 posted. Too bad they didn't serial # these bad boys back then, would make our job easier!

On a side note, I find it hilarious that these little guys have iron sights! They are about 5-1/4” Long overall with 2-1/2” barrel

If any of you need more/different pictures please let me know.

joe45c likes this.
  11. Hawg

Hawg Well-Known Member

Sorry, I misread your post. I tend to believe they're the real deal but I'm by no means an authority on them.

joe45c likes this.
  12. sharps4590

Well, I'll consider your apology....as I've never mis-read anything in my life.....depending on which dream world I happen to be in at the time.....so I have a hard time understanding that......uh-huh....yea, right...:D There's no apology necessary.

I'm in the same boat as you. I think they're authentic but I wouldn't bet a dime on my knowledge of them.

joe45c and Hawg like this.
  13. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

One major difference I note is that the font on the roll stamps don't match and the way they abbreviate Philadelphia is different between the one pictured on the auction site and the OP's

Stamps and fonts should be the same if they were stamped with the same gunsmith's stamp unless someone other than Deringer stamped them or Deringer's stamp was damaged and replaced.

They need looked at by an expert on Deringer pistols.

If they are period fakes they still have value as they are very well made but if they can be proven genuine they will have a far greater value.

joe45c and Hawg like this.
  14. Auron

Auron New Member

Does anyone know of any Deringer experts that I could inquire with? :)

15. Grizzley1

Grizzley1 Well-Known Member

You might try contacting the NRA National Firearms Museum, if they don't have a curator that knows about Deringer pistols, I'm sure they will know who you need to contact.http://www.nramuseum.com/

joe45c, Auron and Hawg like this.