The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to TFF I Recently inherited a Iver Johnson revolver I know nothing about the year or model or what caliber it is hopefully someone has some info on this one the serial under the grip is H83662 I believe the holster is original but it is missing the snap if anyone could recommend where to find a replacement that would be great I know there a lot of experts on here any info would be great

Attachments

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
You have an Iver Johnson 3rd Model 3rd Variation Safety Hammer Automatic Revolver that was made in 1929. It is chambered in .38 S&W and is considered a smokeless frame. It should be safe for modern ammunition after you have it checked out by a competent gunsmith.

Is there anything stamped on the back of the holster?

·
Banned
74 Posts
Looks like one of those buttons like on a pair of jeans. I like the gun better than the holster. Gun would go to the range and the holster would go to a drawer.

That being said, it looks like one of those buttons on jeans that fits through the leather so anything like that in the appropriate size would work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have an Iver Johnson 3rd Model 3rd Variation Safety Hammer Automatic Revolver that was made in 1929. It is chambered in .38 S&W and is considered a smokeless frame. It should be safe for modern ammunition after you have it checked out by a competent gunsmith.

Thank you all for the info I really appreciate it the back of the holster is stamped “75”

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was told it was a 32 that’s good to know it’s 38 sw thank you guys for the info I plan on shooting the gun in the back yard I had it looked at at my local gun shop they usually don’t deal with guns of this age couldn’t get too much info from them

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know what this gun is worth? I’m not planning on selling it because it’s been in the family since it was new then passed down to me from grandpa but it would be good to know.. I’m guessing under $300? Also any recommendations on ammunition? I think the only place near me that sells .38sw is bass pro shops unless I order it online and pay up for shipping

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I was told it was a 32 that’s good to know it’s 38 sw thank you guys for the info I plan on shooting the gun in the back yard I had it looked at at my local gun shop they usually don’t deal with guns of this age couldn’t get too much info from them
CORRECTION. It is a special order and actually chambered in .32 S&W Long, not a .32 S&W. Iver Johnson used the large frame (.38 S&W) to build these which makes the year of manufacture correct. The six shot cylinder is the give away, the large frame .38 S&W and small frame .32 S&W were only five shots.

As far as value, these are quite collectable. I would put value around $300-$350.

·
Registered
786 Posts

I, too, have an old Iver Johnson. It is a Third Model Safety Hammerless chambered in .38 S&W. According to the serial number it was born in 1910. Would I be correct in assuming it is a "smokeless frame?"

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thanx. Here's a question you may be able to answer. The .38 S&W ctg. came out in the 1870s and smokeless powder as we know it sometime later. Any idea about when firearms were considered "smokeless?" I'm not referring to muzzleloaders, cap and ball pistols, etc. I'm thinking centerfire and rimfire cartridges. Hope the way I asked this makes sense.

·
Banned
74 Posts
I'm really not an expert. Everything was black powder. Then came cartridges. And then came smokeless powder cartridges. The guns were beefed up to handle the smokeless powder which has a different pressure curve.

Iver Johnson 3rd editions were beefed up. They weight more than the old ones and have more pins in them and stronger latches I believe, plus who knows what other differences which are not as obvious such as metallurgy etc.

BTW, if im wrong someone jump in here. Im no expert just repeating what I have read with some google searching.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Thanx. Here's a question you may be able to answer. The .38 S&W ctg. came out in the 1870s and smokeless powder as we know it sometime later. Any idea about when firearms were considered "smokeless?" I'm not referring to muzzleloaders, cap and ball pistols, etc. I'm thinking centerfire and rimfire cartridges. Hope the way I asked this makes sense.
Each manufacturer made its own determination as to when to convert to smokeless. Iver Johnson went that route in 1909; however, they still manufactured US Revolvers, which were black powder frames until the 1930's. The Colt Model 1877 which ended production around 1920 was never proofed for smokeless.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CORRECTION. It is a special order and actually chambered in .32 S&W Long, not a .32 S&W. Iver Johnson used the large frame (.38 S&W) to build these which makes the year of manufacture correct. The six shot cylinder is the give away, the large frame .38 S&W and small frame .32 S&W were only five shots.

As far as value, these are quite collectable. I would put value around $300-$350.
Thanks for the info everyone really glad I joined the forum are we sure it is chambered in 32 sw long? I plan on shooting the gun next week I would like to keep my fingers jk I can measure the cylinders and post a pic if that helps

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone really glad I joined the forum are we sure it is chambered in 32 sw long? I plan on shooting the gun next week I would like to keep my fingers jk I can measure the cylinders and post a pic if that helps
Shrek is correct the gun is chambered for 32 S&W Long. If you can't find S&W Long you can shoot 32 S&W in this gun. The only down side is if you don't clean it and then try to shoot 32S&W Long you may have trouble extracting the rounds due to build up of powder residue in the cylinder.
Shoot it and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Yes, once you posted a picture of the cylinder with six chambers, it was clear that it was the .32 S&W not a .38 S&W. Your revolver was build on the .38 S&W frame, and the large frame cylinder only holds five .38 S&W.

If you feel you need verify it, just compare the muzzle with a 9mm, .380 ACP, .38 Special or .357 Mag. They will be close in diameter to the .38 S&W which has a diameter of .360 and much larger than the diameter of a barrel chambered in .32 S&W.

As Ron pointed out, you can fire either .32 S&W rounds thru your revolver but the .32 S&W Long should be easier to find the .32 S&W (Shorts).

You may want to tighten your hammer screw, it should be flush against the frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts