The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited this rifle from my father, and was hoping to learn more information about it. It is marked on top with "MARLIN SAFETY" and on the bottom it is has a serial number 103848. On top further down the barrel it is marked "MARLIN FIRE-ARMS CO. NEW-HAVEN.CT.U.S.A. PATENTED OCT.11.1887. APRIL 2. 1889. AUGUST 1. 1893" It has a octagon barrel measuring 29 1/2" long, the full length is around 48 1/2" long. Any help with the info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would like to make a plaque to put with the rifle. So the info I would like is as close to the exact age that I can get, the name and caliber, and maybe what it was used for. The value would be nice but not as important. Plus anything else you believe should be placed on a plaque. Thank you so very much for any help!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would like to make a plaque to put with the rifle. So the info I would like is as close to the exact age that I can get, the name and caliber, and maybe what it was used for. The value would be nice but not as important. Plus anything else you believe should be placed on a plaque. Thank you so very much for any help!!!
Maybe a couple of medallions like this...
Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Natural material

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Premium Member
20,854 Posts
The caliber should be stamped on the barrel where it enters the receiver. From what i can tell looks like a 1893. The model number should be on the tang.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
That's a model 1893 made in 1894. As Joe said the caliber should be marked on the barrel. As early as it is I think either 32-40 or 38-55. I wouldn't do anything to devalue it like overzealous cleaning or putting medallions in the stock. The barrel is actually 30 inches long. It's measured from the end of the breech not to where it goes into the receiver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The caliber should be stamped on the barrel where it enters the receiver. From what i can tell looks like a 1893. The model number should be on the tang.
The picture is the best i can get with my phone camera. I believe it says 55. Not seeing any model number but not sure where on the tang it is located at. Would I have to take it off the display rack to look on the other side?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a model 1893 made in 1894. As Joe said the caliber should be marked on the barrel. As early as it is I think either 32-40 or 38-55. I wouldn't do anything to devalue it like overzealous cleaning or putting medallions in the stock. The barrel is actually 30 inches long. It's measured from the end of the breech not to where it goes into the receiver.
Thank you so much. I do believe I can see 55 marked on the barrel. I don't plan to do any cleaning just want to show off this rifle that I received from my father. Would you believe it was just used primarily as a hunting rifle? Yes, I can now see the barrel going into the receiver and 30 inches is correct. Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Maybe a couple of medallions like this...
I think he is wanting to make a plaque to mount on the display rack and not the rifle itself.

I don't plan to do any cleaning just want to show off this rifle that I received from my father.
You need to remove it from that rack and give it a gentle cleaning and oiling. Make mounts on your rack that let you take it down when needed a bit easier than those wires it's tied on with. Even if you never shoot it, it still needs to be cleaned and oiled occasionally to keep it from gathering rust.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I agree with Grizzley1, for the love of God, please put some oil on that thing.

"Tied on with wire?" 😮 I'd change that asap. Make some wood hooks to rest it on, etc. (Even wood dowls, inserted in a hole drilled in to the back board.) Easy Peesie.

Nice rifle, thanks for sharing. 👍

Reactions: tedwitt

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think he is wanting to make a plaque to mount on the display rack and not the rifle itself.

You need to remove it from that rack and give it a gentle cleaning and oiling. Make mounts on your rack that let you take it down when needed a bit easier than those wires it's tied on with. Even if you never shoot it, it still needs to be cleaned and oiled occasionally to keep it from gathering rust.
I guess I wasn't clear on the idea of medallions. They could be attached to the rack's frame itself say in the corners. NRA coins or something like that could also be used.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
I just noticed the pic where it says model 1894 but that receiver looks mighty long to be a 94.

·
Premium Member
20,854 Posts
I just noticed the pic where it says model 1894 but that receiver looks mighty long to be a 94.
No it's not a '94. I have a 94 and the loading port is shorter. The same as a winchester's '92 loading port. I think the pic you saw of the 1894 is the one i poster showing where tang is on his gun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts