The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This scope was on an Winchester Model 52A that I inherited and I cant fine much about it on the internet except 2 that were sold on auction sites. I have seen these long scopes on other Model 52s but they were a different brand. This one is an H.A. Litschert. It is marked 25X under the rubber eye piece and has screw on aluminum caps on both ends. I am mostly interested in the age, but also had some questions about that buffer spring and how it makes this scope better

Attachments

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
The spring absorbs the shock of recoil. The scope can move fore and aft in the mount, when the rifle recoils, it moves back. Remember Newton's law of Motion, an object at rest remains at rest unless acted upon by an outside force. The rifle moves back violently under recoil, just ask your shoulder. The scope wants to remain stationary and the spring absorbs the shock until it catches up to the rearward travel of the rifle.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
To expand on Grizzly1 explanation, this is so the rather fragile wire reticle is not subjected to the recoil force.

R. A. Litschert in 1930 started to modify rifle scopes to higher magnification, then started his own line of rifle scopes along the design of Unertl and Lyman scopes. Litschert made rifle scopes for the U.S.Army for WW2.

I seen one example of a R. A. Litschert scope at a gun show a few years back. If I remember correctly the owner wanted $500 for the scope which was in almost new condition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts