The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello - I inherited this rifle and have no idea what it is. The only words anywhere on the rifle are 'A Kohler' engraved on metal near the trigger. The bore diameter at the widest point (corner to corner) is 11/16" . Can anyone educate me on it and its value? Here are some photos. Thanks for any help you can give me!
IMG_20200605_144846_5.jpg
IMG_20200605_144902_6.jpg
IMG_20200605_144921_3.jpg

IMG_20200605_144755_2.jpg

IMG_20200605_144734_0.jpg
IMG_20200605_144739_5.jpg
IMG_20200605_144748_6.jpg
IMG_20200605_144752_3.jpg
IMG_20200605_144713_2.jpg
IMG_20200605_144721_8.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,676 Posts
Kent, is there ANY engravings, (the lock is engraved, not embossed), on the barrel? As you don't mention any, I assume not? Can you measure the bore diameter?

I believe it is what is known as a Jaeger. A German hunting rifle. Being percussion, yours is from the latter part of that era. It has several characteristics of that firearm. The back action lock with an early form of a safety, the trigger guard is similar and appears to have been broken and not very well repaired, the stirrup front sling swivel, the sliding wooden patch box and the type of front trigger. If the rear sight has a folding blade, that too was sometimes a feature of a Jaeger.

What doesn't seem right is the location of the rear sling swivel at the front of the trigger guard. The speaks to me as more of a military feature. Often the sling was attached at the rear by what looks a lot like a great big button. My Jaeger is so equipped.

The German gun making community was large and it's possible Herr Kohler only made the lock. Thus the question about a name on the barrel.

It's a cool piece, probably from the 1830-1840 period but, could just as easily be later. In its day it was something to behold, I bet!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kent, is there ANY engravings, (the lock is engraved, not embossed), on the barrel? As you don't mention any, I assume not? Can you measure the bore diameter?

I believe it is what is known as a Jaeger. A German hunting rifle. Being percussion, yours is from the latter part of that era. It has several characteristics of that firearm. The back action lock with an early form of a safety, the trigger guard is similar and appears to have been broken and not very well repaired, the stirrup front sling swivel, the sliding wooden patch box and the type of front trigger. If the rear sight has a folding blade, that too was sometimes a feature of a Jaeger.

What doesn't seem right is the location of the rear sling swivel at the front of the trigger guard. The speaks to me as more of a military feature. Often the sling was attached at the rear by what looks a lot like a great big button. My Jaeger is so equipped.

The German gun making community was large and it's possible Herr Kohler only made the lock. Thus the question about a name on the barrel.

It's a cool piece, probably from the 1830-1840 period but, could just as easily be later. In its day it was something to behold, I bet!!
Thanks, Sharps ... There are no other words anywhere on the rifle. Bore diameter = 11/16". I am attaching more photos of the rifle to my original post and adding that I am looking for its value as well ...

·
Premium Member
11,676 Posts
Yeah, I figured since you didn't post anything about a name or anything that there wasn't one....doggone it.

11/16...well, 3/4 is 75 cal. so it must be between 65 and 70 cal....roughly. Jaegers were known for being large caliber.

Value...boy...a fella doesn't see many original Jaegers and they do command a bit of a premium but...you aren't going to retire off the proceeds. I believe if I were trying to sell it I'd start at $1500. However, that's just my opinion and I'd encourage you to get a few opinions. Hopefully Griz and a couple others will chime in here. I think they have a better handle on value's than me.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
11/16 = .687 so it's roughly .69 caliber or a 14 bore. not uncommon for a jaeger. I'm not one for pricing things but I think Sharps is pretty close on value.

That broken trigger guard might detract from it a little but it does look to be a period of use repair, so perhaps not by much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts