The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all. I was very fortunate in acquiring very nice early production (4 digit serial #) Smith & Wesson in .44 Russian. I won't prattle on about the stupidity of the Canadian firearms laws and the current assault on firearms owners, but trust me, you guys in the U.S. are so fortunate to have the 2nd. amendment and the NRA. In the spring and during the fall bow hunt, I spend a fair amount of time in the woods. Anyone who's done serious bush time knows that being unarmed in the woods is not too wise if you have bear and wolf presence. I wanted a good carry piece with some stopping power but for Canada, it has to be an antique. Getting a carry permit is near impossible except under stringent circumstances (ie: trappers, prospectors, etc.), and the only legal carry is a pistol classed as "antique" by the RCMP. I had a 4" barrel version of this pistol in pretty good mechanical condition but I had problems in operation with the Fiocchi ammo. Add to the that the fact that the pistol exhibited a fair amount of black powder pitting. I managed to sell it off and pick up a much nicer 5" barrel model. As you'll see from the pics, it's been refinished and the grips have been replaced, but it's little short of exceptional given its age. I'm gathering the needfuls to get into reloading this thing, and I'll have to get it to the range to see if this one has problems with the Fiocchi ammo as well, but I'm hopeful that this one will suit my needs. That said, it's just a beautiful example of American firearms of that period. Enjoy1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,300 Posts
I was about to say I have the same revolver but, remembered to look this time. Mine is SA. The old Russian is a fun cartridge and had its share of users in its day. Good looking piece and congrats on acquiring it. I am a revolver guy!!

Reactions: BlackEagle

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was about to say I have the same revolver but, remembered to look this time. Mine is SA. The old Russian is a fun cartridge and had its share of users in its day. Good looking piece and congrats on acquiring it. I am a revolver guy!!
Check out the early serial number! I'm still gathering information on it but other than just a touch of old corrosion on the left side of the barrel by the sight, there's nothing at all to complain about! Here's a couple more pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Our laws are quickly becoming just as stupid as your laws are. The same Liberals - just ours are on OUR side of the border. Both have the same objective: make us all subservient to their will. Maybe one day (if they get their way and enough of us bow down) they will take down the Maple Leaf and the Stars and Stripes and fly the UN Flag over us all.

You have a very nice old pistol! Good luck in finding reloading components. It should be a great shooter and a comfort for you in the field.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mr. Brady! Reloading components are no problem. Primers, powders, projectiles, and brass are all readily available. I've got a post on the Smith & Wesson forum and gathered a wonderful load of information regarding the do's and don'ts. Given its purpose, I plan to get 240 gr. hollow point lead bullets for serious work and 200 gr. SWC or RN for plinking. We have a relatively new organization up here, the CCFR (Canadian Coalition for Firearms Rights) and they've been sterling in fighting to overturn bad law and educate the public as a whole about firearms and the lies perpetuated by the current Liberal government and the mainstream media. You lot have the advantage of individual state laws which can be implemented and gives you "gun friendly" states. Our provinces are pretty much at the mercy of Ottawa (the parliamentary seat) and very limited in any push-back against draconian and arbitrary idiocy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts