The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather left me this pistol. He had dug it up in his garden is what I was told but he may have brought it back with him from the war. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it, like what kind it may be or if it has any value. After doing some light research I believe its from the mid 1800s. It appears to be a single shot 22 pistol. I have attached 2 photos of this old gun. Its very small, fits in the palm of your hand. Any info will help. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I don't believe there is enough left of your relic to identify the maker. It has the same outlines of over a dozen different guns from the late 1800's and early 1900's. Unless you can find markings the maker will remain a mystery. It does look more like a dug up relic rather than anything a GI would bring back from anywhere. Other than a conversation item it really has no value. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Welcome to TFF.

It appears to be the remains of the "1876" single shot .22 listed in Flayderman's Guide as very rare and made by or for Hyde and Shattuck of Springfield, Massachusetts; estimated quantity 100.

Unfortunately, in that condition it has no significant value, although there are a few who collect "dug" guns.

You might examine left side of barrel with a magnifying glass for traces of the 1876 marking.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
:) Yep, I had compared it to the Shattuck, but then I located several others that were almost identical, so I'm still not sure of it's heritage. Unless markings are found I still feel the maker will never be known.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts