The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The proposed Primitive Weapons season for deer?

Last I heard it was supposed to be in effect this year, January 1st for 6 days, but have heard nothing since...

Nice to have a few extra days in the woods with my flintlock....

· Banned
5,425 Posts
I know here in Idaho we have a black powder season and an archery season.

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
Texas hasn't caught on yet! Primitive hunting here is limited to muzzle loaders, and bows. Two seperate seasons! You can not have a modern gun on your person during either season, unless you have a CCW permit!

· Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I was reading about the proposals, it was supposed to be a separate season from January 1-6 for just "traditional" muzzleloading sidelocks, .44 cal or larger, using only black powder or BP Substitute, flinlock or caplock only.

We can use any muzzleloader during gun season, which usually runs from the Saturday closest to the 15th for two weeks and a day, then a week later any Muzzleloader during Muzzleloading Season which runs another 2 weeks and a day starting the Saturday after the Sunday which is last day of gun, and usually ends right before Christmas....many guys I know use an in-line with a scope for both seasons....

Last year they had a three day "doe only" season right after Christmas any method, but don't know if they plan that again....

But I kinda lost track of it and they haven't printed the new regs yet that I have seen.

There was a lot of opposition to it for some reason I can't figure out,

· Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And Carver, they used to have like two separate bow seasons here, an "early" and a "late," but last year they made it all one, open from Oct 1 to Jan 31, anything legal, 30 lbs pull or more, traditional, recurve, compound, or crossbow. Any arrowhead including stone too...

Indiana gets it....try to get MORE hunters out there, not LESS, but not necessarily at the same TIME like other states...

Not like Gun Season used to be in Ohio, at least when I lived there, starting on a Monday and ending that same Saturday....:cool:

Every Yahoo and Moron wanting to hunt deer in the state taking their weeks vacation and more guys in the woods every day, shooting like a firefight, many times it was pure luck that some scared deer just happened to run by you, not really hunting, but lots of times the last few days of the season 50-60 guys "driving," they "organize" them in coffee shops, and half the guys don't even KNOW the other guys, and crap like that....:mad:

And in any state I hunted I NEVER heard of so many "Hunting Accidents" than you heard about for that one week every year when I lived there....go figure...

· Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, "In Line" by definition is what replaced "Sidelock" in modern Muzzleloading.

I was surprised they didn't make it "Flintlock Only" like Pennsylvania has for their second ML season.

You know, I was NEVER an In-Line fan, maybe because I'm a traditionalist, but a guy with a good TC Hawken or a similar quality sidelock percussion with decent bullets and good #10 or#11 caps isn't giving much away to an in-line...

· Registered
100 Posts
Hey Polish,

Did they change the law in Indiana so you can hunt deers with pistol cartridges in rifles? I seen they were going to a few years ago but I never herd weather they did or not.

That would be cool to hunt with a lever action cowboy action rifle in 45 LC or a 44-40.

· Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, KY, they changed that law two or maybe three years ago now....

Any rifle, but the cartridge has to be so long and no longer than a certain length with a straight wall case...and I think .357 or more in diameter. They also SPECIFICALLY list cartridges that are legal too and those that are NOT...

Essentially Pistol cartridge, but the limits are such that the the .38 Special is too short, but the .357 hits.

Many guys are using their Cowboy guns for it, either in .44 mag or .45 Colt. But Ruger is making bolt action 77s in .357 and .44 mag that are hot too.....44 Special and .44-40 also are legal.

Years ago I had a chance to buy a Ruger carbine in .44 Mag pretty cheaply that would have been great, but at the time I couldn't figure what I would use it for....now you can't FIND one....

But they also allow the .454 Casull and the .458 SOCOM, specifically, so you can use even an AR-15 in Socom, if you can find an upper.

When the regs first came out I hit the Rock River website since they make a Socom and it would fit my RR lower, but a few hundred thousand Hoosiers must have beat me to it, the wait was estimated to be a year and a half!:eek::p:p:p

If I do buy a lever gun and retire the '97, I am thinking of a Rossi 92 in .454 Casull....almost low end .45-70 ballistics out to 200, AND can shoot .45 Colt too....

· Premium Member
33,025 Posts
LA passed a law that allows "primitive" calibers, like 45/70, and 30/30, for primitive hunting, but they have to be single shot rifles. I like this law, and wish that other states would pass something like it. Someone else posted that his state also allows spears, and atlatls for taking deer. Now that's getting primitive!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.