The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

No markings, etchings or numbers on this gun. Wood is in pretty good shape. Some rust on the metal. Barrel is octagonal. This gun was given to my Dad by his brother, both deceased. Not much more information than that. Here are a couple of shots. I can post other angles if needed.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas on this pistol.

Andy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I remember in the 1970's, you could buy one of these for about $20. But you could also buy old Mauser bayonets for $2.00.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
As .45AUTO posted, it is a inexpensive ( inexpensive even in that era ) pocket gun from the 19th century , most likely either French or Belgium, Belgium is the most likely suspect. Value is not high on these guns because so many were produced however it does make a very nice display and heirloom.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The almost silhouette pix don't afford much info. But from what I see, it is a "Saturday Nite Special" of the mid 1800s. The better quality small pocket pistols of the time had disappearing fold-out triggers and barrels that screw off to load -- none of which I see here.

Simple & cheap enuf it could have been made almost anywhere capable of mfgr of anything. No collector interest but for someone who just wants something old, $25-75depending on how bad s/he wants it.

Piece of historical info: It is not generally known that in the early days of gun making, a round barrel was a luxury indicator. Blacksmith mfgr made octagon barrels the normal way to make a barrel, lacking equipment such as a lathe to turn it round. Today things have changed, turning is the cheapest way & octagon requires milling a lot of flats.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Inexpensive pistol of about 1850-1910 vintage. Looks Belgian or Spanish made to me.
It could also be a faked antique made for the tourist crowds. Several years back my brother was in Turkey with the military at an Air Base. After the work was done, he went on a sight seeing tour and found what he thought was an old percussion pepper box revolver at a reasonable price. When he got it back to the states, he took it to a gunsmith to have it looked over with the idea of fireing it at some point. He/they discovered that the cylinder was only bored about half way, and that the nipples were screwed into threaded blank holes that didnt go into the chambers. With a little more reserch they found that it was made strictly for the unsuspecting tourist trade and was most likely only a couple of years old at most. It had the look and patina of an 1800s percussion piece, but turned out to be a complete fake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts