The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first i thought this to belong to a .22 pump, but i believe its to large. Im thinking an old 410, 28, possibly 20. Its pretty small. Any ideas?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would say it is from a Marlin 12ga pump shotgun. There should be 2 counter sunk screw holes in the area that is routed out to accept a flat slide bar. The Marlin used a single slide bar vs the Winchester 1892s and 1897s which had two slide bars, or slide rails.
The Marlin I have is a No.49, which is a exposed hammer shot gun. I was built back in the 1920s, supposedly as a give away to high priced clients of Marlin. The exterior finish on the action is good, but the interior machine work on the action looks like a rookie machinist did it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmm.. The exterior finish on the action is good, but the interior machine work on the action looks like a rookie machinist did it.

• Haha
Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Correct....The Marlin interior machining looks like a caveman chiseled it out with a sharp rock!
The exterior is reasonable, but inside is a joke.
Anybody collect Marlins, it's in pieces, but everything is there if you want it.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
C5, if you bought 4 shares of Marlin stock @ $25 a share, you had your choice of the 49 12ga or a .22 pump. They had something like 2900 takers. Is it apart because no one can put it back together?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also got rid of my Winchester rifles and a couple of 1897s - field model and riot gun made in 1911.
I went around and around with Winchester on their .223 WSSM, barrel gone after about 400 rounds, brass splitting in the necks. A cerro-safe chamber casting revealed that in the throat, there was .016" difference between the throat ID and OD of a loaded round(bullet dia + 2 neck thicknesses), and this was on new ammo. With reloads it got worse, now I had .018 to .019" of clearance. In this rifle I fired 4 boxes of factory ammo ammo, and reloaded the rest at mid-range to low velocities. 20% of the cases split each time I fired it. Winchester factory brass had splits in their shoulders. I ordered several bags of 50 - new Winchester brass from Mid-South and sent it all back when 45 out of 50 had shoulder splits.
The last groups shot from the bench w/55gr and 64gr Winchester bullets shot groups of 4-6" to 18-20" at 100yds. At this point everything with a "W" on it in my closet was destined to disappear, and they did.

I just got tired of coaxing along this POS rifle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
C5, if you bought 4 shares of Marlin stock @ $25 a share, you had your choice of the 49 12ga or a .22 pump. They had something like 2900 takers. Is it apart because no one can put it back together?
No I took it apart and started cleaning it up.
The slide wood was hanging up on the magazine, so set it aside and now have no interest in it.
My interest have been directed toward hunting and long rifles.
I'll pack it up and send it to you if you wish.

·
Registered
89 Posts
No it's apart b/c I was cleaning it and other rifle projects got in the way. Have no interest in it now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts