The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
Not a K98. The trigger inletting is wrong and the placement of the bolt handle cutout is in the wrong place.
I'm not sure what you have. What I can say is who ever tryed to glass bed the rifle had no idea of what they were doing.
Boy, ain't that the truth!!

It's a Mauser variant of some kind. Given how many of those were sporterized, by real gun builders AND Bubba, it's hard to say. I would guess it pretty early after WWII because the stutzen stock is entirely too finely done. Most today leave enough wood they can be a war club.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Just guising, 1895 Styer . The inletting is so bad, I just can't tell.

A clear pic of the tang ( without your thumb ) might help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didnt notice the writing till Joe45 mentioned it. Used magnifying glass and it says Herters since 1899 on the buttplate. Here are couple more pictures of tang.....Sam

Its a very "dainty" light weight stock. Most ive had are heavy club like things. SAM

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I am starting to think this may not be for a military action. The reason being the placement of the rear stock bolt. Normally that bolt would be at the end of the tang. This one quite a bit forward which is unusual. Another feature is the inletting on the forward right side of the stock reminds me of a bolt release/safety .

I still can't figure out what action would fit this stock.

·
Premium Member
14,529 Posts
I don't know if Herter's offered stocks but, we now know for certain they sold butt plates. I didn't know that before.

It isn't for a Moisin.

I'm not familiar enough with the various iterations of Mausers to suspect which model it might be but, it screams one of them to me, no?

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
Remington Model 720?
Back in the day, Herter's had a stock for everything, pick the config, type of wood, even the grade. Exhibition grade English Walnut for less that $100. Full color pics of them in their catalogs.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I don't know if Herter's offered stocks but, we now know for certain they sold butt plates. I didn't know that before.

It isn't for a Moisin.

I'm not familiar enough with the various iterations of Mausers to suspect which model it might be but, it screams one of them to me, no?
Herters sold stocks. They even sold rifles built on Yugoslav and BSA Mauser actions.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Can't be for an M48. The action/stock screws/bolts are in the wrong place. The tang would not fit the inlet of the stock.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think that's M1903, Pretty nice tho.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts