Any information is greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by jrahja, Apr 14, 2009.

1. jrahja

jrahja New Member

Hi everyone,
    As I sat with my grandpa last night he took out my greatgrandma's handgun to show me. He didn't know anything about it and couldn't read the stamp on top of it, he didn't even know there was a stamp. :)
    So here is what it said:
    Hopkins & Alden (although I thought it said Alden) MFG Co.
    PAT MAR 28 7LAPR27.75 MAY 27.79 XL No. 3 32 CAL
    Gpa said something about RIM Fire

It has an octagon type barrel, 2 dog heads on either side just above the handle, something like a flower on either side of the handle as well. It's steel in color, though the more I see online it seems it may be nickle?

It's not in the best condition, I have seen one or two pictures online of others in much better condition. It's not the price we're after though, it's not leaving the family. It doesn't seem to be a gun that brings in a lot of money anyway. My grandpa likes information, as much as possible about anything that interests him. I'm really excited to give him info I find.

Please help if you can!!!
    Thank you,
    JRahja

2. army mp

army mp Member

I think you will find you have a Hokins & Allen. It is probably a 32 rim fire, .Prior to 1896 H&A guns were marked (Hopkins & Allen Manufg. Co, Norwich Conn.) Most were nickel plated. As you said they are not worth much money but an interesting gun.

3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the two patent dates indicates this is most likely a H&A XL series single action spur trigger revolver manufactured between 1880 and 1899. the caliber is most likely 32 rimfire but if it turns out to be one of the XL double action models the caliber most likely wound be 32 S&W centerfire. there is some collectors interest in these revolvers but value is not high for one in not so good condition.
    bill