Any leather workers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crpdeth, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Well-Known Member

Well, I started a new hobby this winter after pricing some bushcraft style knife sheaths and I messed up on this thing from the word go, top to bottom, it is full of mistakes, but I love it!

The pouch is for a Zippo with a torch insert for an additional fire making source and it's meant to be carried horizontal across my back, although it does have a loop for traditional carry.

I'm going to make another one soon for another knife and hopefully a lot less mistakes.

Sheath2.jpg sheath1.jpg

howlnmad, Broot, Kweeksdraw and 3 others like this.
  2. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've been doing leatherwork since I was a Boy Scout, on and off. Lately it's been mostly "off," though. As one amateur to another, I'd say that your stitching looks very good, and you do a good job with the metal bits - that takes some practice. The lack of definition in the stampings is caused either by a lack of adequate wetting of the hide before stamping and swivel knifing, or being too gentle with the wooden mallet. Edges could be improved by burnishing - they make a plastic tool for that, but you can improvise with any concave, smooth object. There's a burnishing compound that you wet the edges with before applying the tool, but I think a little Lexol will work just as well.

Nice work!:D

Broot, carver, rooter and 1 other person like this.

3. Crpdeth

Thank you very much! Honestly, I did burnish everything, but possibly not enough and I was having a hard time around the ends of those straps... Now I'm thinking that all I did beforehand was to wet the edges, and later added the burnishing agent... LOL, I guess I looked at it as a sealer of sorts and got it backwards.

As for the cutting and tooling, lol... Well, see, what happened is that trying to attach that pouch was insanely hard, so I actually wet formed it over the lighter, then basically smashed and worked with it until it's all but invisible.

4. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

I can remember the first time I went for a years duty in the Philippines...Someone who
    had something to do with the off-hours hobby of leatherwork filled the order with much
    material and tools for the men to have something to do...belts and wallets were the
    big thing, but some of the older, married guys did beautiful purses for the wives...that Quonset Hut where the leather crafters would work smelled so good....I never recognized the fact until
    then but one of my favored smells is new leather...fresh baking bread, grass being mown,
    clover hay being dried for cattle feed... clothes being ironed...oh sure, a gal wearing Chanel #5...I can zero in on that aroma even in a grocery store! Chief

Broot, Kweeksdraw, rawright54 and 2 others like this.
  5. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very cool! Leather works is another bucket list hobby I want to do but dang it's expensive to get into! Don't you need a special sew machine for the stitching!

Broot and carver like this.
  6. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

That will depend on how much stitching you intend to do. I've made holsters and belts with not very much stitching at all, and what little I do I stitch by hand.

You punch the holes with a punch, then run your needle through the holes. A good result depends a lot on the amount of careful preparation. You can even skive out a thread groove prior to stitching to help protect the stitching if you wish. Making the stitches evenly spaced and in a nice line is key to making it look good.

howlnmad, Big Mak, Broot and 3 others like this.
  7. CrookCountyGO

CrookCountyGO Well-Known Member

Nice work. I don't see any of the mistakes you mentioned. And very cool idea, combining the zippo holder with it! One of these days I'd like to try a leather working project, probably a holster. If for no other reason than to find yet another thing I'm no good at!

Broot, Crpdeth and carver like this.
  8. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

howlnmad, One Shot, Big Mak and 2 others like this.
  9. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff* Supporting Member

I remember those hole punchers and the little leather faced mallets the guys used ...I don't
    recall a single power machine in the entire leather shop except the cooling fans.. some things
    the fellows made they used copper rivets...maybe the belts...like I remember, the place sure
    smelled nice! Chief

carver and Crpdeth like this.
  10. Crpdeth

Well, Brian... I think it probably comes down to the size of your project and how much you intend to do, but like Designer said, I just used a hole punch. The punches I have will punch one hole or five at a time which is really nice for spacing. I just used a tooling hammer and completed the process on a self healing mat, on the work bench.

I agree regarding the expense, but I was looking at custom made sheaths that started at a couple hundred bucks and you may have to send them your knife and then there's a line to wait in... So like I told my wife, I could throw the first three sheaths in the garbage and still come out ahead.

CrookCo... Thank you very much, but I assure you, there a MANY mistakes there. lol! :D

Big Mak, carver, Broot and 1 other person like this.
  11. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

There might be some mistakes in there, but you should see some of the stuff I turn out!:D

CrookCountyGO likes this.
  12. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I need to stay off this board, all the hobbies are expensive ones when I get ahold of them. LOL!

CrookCountyGO, howlnmad and carver like this.
  13. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too. I used to spend quite a lot on firearms, buying, trading, ammo, but lately my photography hobby might be gaining on it. I've been thinking of buying a new lens for my new camera so I can print photos on my new printer. :p

carver likes this.