The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I have no experience with the carbine, but the bottom line is,,,if you like it and you feel confident with it, then don't worry what others may say. As with any gun...Practice, Practice, Practice! JM2C

·
Registered
180 Posts
"Ugly and awkward" Wow, I did not like that label when I was a kid, I do not like it now! My dad should never have given my Sister that nic-name. His nic-name for me was "Why do you look like the mailman, when we owe the butcher so much?" I think your Hi-Point is lovely, though I cannot see her eyes. What kind of optics? How much does you Hi Point weigh? My newest baby is a 9mm Ruger Charger Pistol, at 5.2 lbs, I think she has a little weight issue, then again, so did my Sister. I AM proud of her (Charger), she shoots better than I do. I installed a "EOTECH" clone (knock-off) red/green dot paired with a SIGHT MARK 5X magnifier.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
We had one around here in 9mm for awhile. Shot lots of bullets out of it and it didn't have any issues to worry over. The rails were plastic and moved around some but the sight stayed within a predetermind amout of slop. Its not a precision target gun but is still more accurate than most handguns.

My biggest or main issue with it was the butt stock pad mounted with springs that let the rifle move a 1/2' or so when fired. The check piece was textured and like a rasp on your face and it would actually scratch your face when just shooting it a few times. The 9mm and likely the 45 as well dont need this spring shock thing to begin with because there isn't enough recoil for it. Felt recoil is actually more with the springs in. We had to remove the spring feature in the stock butt plate and smooth the check rest out before we started having fun with it.

We called it "the monkey gun" because it kinda looks like the guns used in the early planet of the apes movies.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I own one in 9mm that will feed anything, even empty cases. I have one friend who calls them "the slant-6 Chrysler engine of the gun world" which translates to "they always run like a piece of ****, but they ALWAYS run"! MINE doesn't run like any slant-6 Chrysler I've encountered, but it shoots fine and is very rugged. Strangely, MINE groups best with "warm" reloads using 147 gr. TC-PCs and Alliant Herco or Unique.
Another friend advocates them with the words "They're simple to use, work as well as the shooter, and you can't really HURT them. But if you do, you're not out much!"
Since I consider NONE of my firearms "disposable" I tend to have a bit more respect for my Hi-Point than many owners. If I had to arm someone who'd never shot a firearm before, I think it would be with a hi-point carbine (preferably in .40 or .45). I think it would take no more than .30 minutes and half a box of ammunition to get a 'firearms naive" individual to hit a 6" circle out to 50 yards 75% of the time.
Now, that's the BASIC carbine.
With the right combination of add-ons (which, mercifully, are easy to add-on) and higher-cap magazines, they can be turned into quite formidable Personal Defense Weapons (PDWs), and "by the bed" carbines to compliment whatever sidearm might be nearby. Except for "looking cool" and perhaps accuracy, I don't think of much that a Hi-point carbine CAN'T do that an AR-platform pistol-caliber-carbine CAN do. JAM, maybe?

·
Administrator
33,381 Posts
I have the 9mm version w/red dot and enjoy shooting it. It has never had a problem or any issue.
Although it's not match grade accurate, I will still hold a decent group.
Someone mentioned the spring on the recoil pad. Personally, I think it's useless but have no problem with it.
All in all, just a fun, reliable little carbine with decent accuracy if you do your part. I don't think anyone can go wrong with the Hi-Point carbine.

·
Registered
Guns Scare Me
7,103 Posts
I have the 10mm 1095TS and it's fun to shoot out at 25 yards. At 50, the accuracy falls way off, but it is what it is. Very reliable... I replaced the trigger sear spring and did some polishing to improve the trigger pull.
Green Air gun Tree Plant Machine gun

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Had one in 9mm. It went bang every time I pulled the trigger! Only thing I didn't like was the weight. Felt awfully heavy for a pistol catridge gun. Swapped it in for a muzzle loader. Swapped that in for a Ruger PC Carbine in 9mm. I like the Ruger, I'll be keeping that..

·
Registered
18,143 Posts
What is the purpose of the big R on the magazine?

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am glad to see i am not the only one who likes their carbine!

I've got one that looks pretty close to yours, other than it has "iron sights" on it. It must be an older version. It has never missed a beat. If there is one thing that I dislike about it, other than it being butt ugly, is that it is a PITA to take apart to clean.
View attachment 279742
Mine looked like yours when i bought it. Then i added a foregrip, and some 20 round magazines.

I did not like the sight picture at all, so i tore off the iron sights and put a budget red dot on there. It is a Bushnell TRS-25. it seems to be a quality optic, but i will wait and see where it is pointing after a few hundred rounds before i pass judgment.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have the Plain-Jane 4595-TS because that’s the way I like them. They are definitely ugly, but not as ugly as the Monkey-Gun version, heavy, and dead reliable. The only issue I ever had with mine was was a stuck case/failure to eject after shooting 500 rounds of ultra-dirty Tulammo over several days without cleaning, but that’s on me. Accuracy is good enough at 50 yards, but I guess 45 ACP is not supposed to be a long range round.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts