Any more news on the Shuttle Columbia???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 1952Sniper, Mar 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

TallTLynn
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/1/03 9:35:55 am)
    Any more news on the Shuttle Columbia???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last heard from over Texas at somewhat over 200,000 feet - since then nothing. Of course can't find anymore news on it so I don't know if it crashed or landed okay. Any of you heard anything?

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/1/03 9:39:14 am)
    Re: Any more news on the Shuttle Columbia???
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Showing pictures on tv of it breaking up.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/1/03 9:41:36 am)
    Reply Re: Any more news on the Shuttle Columbia???
    NASA is sending out messages that the space shuttle has exploded over Texas. Report any debris... it may be hazardous!

This is truely a sad, sad day

dksdks
    (2/1/03 9:49:31 am)
    Reply condolences to the brave crew!!

deadeye006
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/1/03 9:51:29 am)
    This is definately horrible. Landing was supposed to be at 08:16 Central Time. The last transmission was sent around 08:00 Central, and Columbia has since disappeared from the radar screen. Keep in mind that the first-ever Israeli astronaut was onboard, along with 6 Americans. This sure is not a good first-time for the Israelis. Let's hope that these 7 brave people will make it home to their families.

dksdks
    (2/1/03 10:04:54 am)
    Reply fox news
    CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. — NASA declared an emergency after losing communication with space shuttle Columbia as the ship soared over Texas several minutes before its expected landing time Saturday morning.

The shuttle was carrying the first Israeli astronaut and six Americans, and authorities had feared it would be a terrorist target.

Fifteen minutes after the expected landing time, and with no word from the shuttle, NASA announced that search and rescue teams were being mobilized in Dallas and Fort Worth areas.

Inside Mission Control, flight controller hovered in front of their computers, staring at the screens. The wives, husbands and children of the astronauts who had been waiting at the landing strip were gathered together by NASA and taken to separate place.

Columbia was at an altitude of 200,700 feet over north-central Texas at a 9 a.m., traveling at 12,500 mph when mission control lost contact and tracking data.

NASA, while not saying the shuttle had exploded, broken up or crashed, warned that any debris found in the area should be avoided and could be hazardous.

There were reports of debris seen falling.

In 42 years of human space flight, NASA has never lost a space crew during landing or the ride back to orbit. In 1986, space shuttle Challenger exploded shortly after liftoff.

Security had been tight for the 16-day scientific research mission that included the first Israeli astronaut.

Ilan Ramon, a colonel in Israel's air force and former fighter pilot, became the first man from his country to fly in space, and his presence resulted in an increase in security, not only for Columbia's Jan. 16 launch, but also for its landing. Space agency officials feared his presence might make the shuttle more of a terrorist target.

On launch day, a piece of insulating foam on the external fuel tank came off during liftoff and was believed to have struck the left wing of the shuttle.

Leroy Cain, the lead flight director in Mission Control, had assured reporters Friday that engineers had concluded that any damage to the wing was considered minor and posed no safety hazard.

The early morning fog burned off as the sun rose, and Mission Control gave the seven astronauts the go-ahead to come home on time. "I guess you've been wondering, but you are 'go' for the deorbit burn," Mission Control radioed at practically the last minute.

Ilan Ramon, a colonel in Israel's air force and former fighter pilot, became the first man from his country to fly in space, and his presence resulted in an increase in security, not only for Columbia's Jan. 16 launch, but also for its landing. Space agency officials feared his presence might make the shuttle more of a terrorist target.

"We've taken all reasonable measures, and all of our landings so far since 9-11 have gone perfectly," said Lt. Col. Michael Rein, an Air Force spokesman.

Columbia's crew -- Ramon and six Americans -- completed all of their 80-plus experiments in orbit. They studied ant, bee and spider behavior in weightlessness as well as changes in flames and flower scents, and took measurements of atmospheric dust with a pair of Israeli cameras.

All of the scientific objectives were accomplished during the round-the-clock laboratory mission, and some of the work may be continued aboard the international space station, researchers said. The only problem of note was a pair of malfunctioning dehumidifiers, which temporarily raised temperatures inside the laboratory to the low 80s, 10 degrees higher than desired.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/1/03 10:11:24 am)
    Re: fox news
    dksdks, thanks for your post.

Quote:
    "Tell the gossipers and liars I will see them in the fire" - Johnny Cash, Let the train whistle blow

ZiggedandZagged@aol.com

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/1/03 11:24:13 am)
    Reply Re: fox news
    At this time it appears to be a mid-air breakup at 200,000 feet and mach 6 (12,000+ mph)....over north central Texas.

There are reports of large amounts of debris on the ground over a wide flight path.......

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/1/03 11:53:57 am)
    Flags at Kennedy Space Center at half mast.........

inplanotx
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/1/03 12:34:52 pm)
    Heard the blast this morning, but did not know what it was. Sounded like a muffled blast and not a sonic boom as being reported.

Also a report of a fire started in a condo when something fell through the roof. This is less than 1/4 mile south of me at Shiloh and Park Ave. Reports of debris also falling in Carrollton where I work.

Sounds like most of it is coming down closer to LTS in east Texas and strewn though LA.

Just put my flag at half staff. God bless the 7 crew members and families.
    Improvise...Adapt...Overcome

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/1/03 3:52:43 pm)
    What can one say...that is really sad...but going into space and back has never been easy for mankind.

It takes real courage and spirit to do what those did today...God's speed to them.

If some day we make it to the stars it will be because such as these have helped pathed the way with their brave and noble act.

Gunguy

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/1/03 5:00:01 pm)
    Oh my God! Some sick bastards are already selling recovered pieces of debris on Ebay!

I hope the FBI hunts them down and throws them in prison.

WyomingSwede
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/1/03 6:52:50 pm)
    Put a prayer out for those shuttle astronauts...six were married, five had kids. Yes they knew the risks...but they have families just the same.

swede
    Wyoming Swede

SouthernMoss
    (2/1/03 8:10:49 pm)
    Re: fox news
    Looks like ebay has invalidated the debris auctions. Good for them.

Packet
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/1/03 8:15:28 pm)
    The day isnt over yet, and already Ive read posts on message boards blaming this on Bush. Where do these fools come from?

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/1/03 8:17:27 pm)
    Missed me by that<.>much....

LTS

1952Sniper
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/1/03 11:21:27 pm)
    Reply | Edit I saw it
    I was driving this morning from Bandera to Marble Falls (northeast of Austin) to pick up my saddles and tack from the ranch where I keep my horse. I had left the house at 6:15am, and was in Marble Falls, heading north, when I saw something streaking across the sky. It looked like an airplane but was moving MUCH too fast. And it was pretty low, I'd say around 2000 feet. It was moving from west to east. I pointed it out to my wife. I then checked the clock on my dashboard and it said 8:02. It had a long white trail behind it, and it was glowing white. At first I thought it was something metallic, like a rocket, and I thought it was just the sun (which had just come up) glinting off of the metal. But it started to throw off pieces that burned as they came off, like sparks. It started arcing down as it moved across the sky. By this time, I had turned east towards the ranch and was somewhat following it. Again, this sucker was moving faster than any man-made aircraft I've seen in the sky.

I got into a low-area fog bank and lost sight of it. When I came out of the fog, it was gone but its trail was still there. It looked like it may have crashed around Georgetown (north of Austin on I-35 towards Dallas). I didn't hear any booms or anything. Anyway, I got to the ranch and asked my friend, who was out feeding the horses, if he had seen it. He said no. But the trail was directly over the ranch. So we went and turned on the news.... by this time it was 8:30, and they had just started covering it on TV. I knew immediately that this is what I had seen.

To be honest with you, I was somewhat relieved when I saw the news. My first thought was that it had been some type of ground-launched rocket headed for Austin. I had feared some type of terrorist attack, since I knew damn good and well that this wasn't supposed to be in the sky. It was too slow to be a meteorite, and too fast to be any type of manned aircraft. It seemed to have a ballistic trajectory, with a relatively flat arc to it. It was not coming down, like you would think it would from 200,000 feet. It was moving almost parallel to the ground when I first saw it. The fact that it was throwing off what looked like sparks also told me that it was burning as it went, and I assumed it must have been some type of rocket propellant.

This has been a strange day for me as I have absorbed the news of the Columbia. I am profoundly saddened by the tragedy, and I pray for the families of the brave astronauts who were aboard. I hope their deaths were painless and instantaneous. I couldn't imagine what they might have gone through if they knew they were about to die. This is the first time that I've seen something historic and tragic happening in front of me. We all remember when the Challenger exploded, but I only saw it on TV. This happened in front of me. I'll never forget it.
    Macht kaputt, was euch kaputt macht!

ruffitt
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/1/03 11:30:50 pm)

"And flights of Angels sing thee to thy rest".
    William Shakespeare - Hamlet, Act V, Scene III</a>

riderbob
    (2/1/03 11:52:04 pm)
    Reply any more news on shuttle
    Great sadness in the family and community. I live in northern UT about 10 miles away from Thiokol (The company that took the blame for the Challenger disaster). This is a small rural area and most everybody know everybody. We all feel very close to the shuttle program and wandered around in shock today. A few were concerned about employment others just loosing part of the family. On a personal note my son has always had the dream of becoming a fighter pilot and astronaut, he has attended a local space camp the last 4 years and was going to the cape this summer with the camp. I can only imagine what it will be like this year. He spends hrs. training for the simulator missions @ camp and is only one of two kids to ever land the shuttle on instruments only @ night in the history of camp. my youngest daughter attended camp for the first time last year and wants to be in the space program in some form or other. These two poor children have spent most of the day in sadness and have clung eagerly to any news to help gain some sort of insight to what happened. I certainly hope that they can find some good in this. Two national tragedies in two years, I never thought that my kids would have to deal with that. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

May God bless them and their family's

Rider

deadeye006
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/2/03 9:19:44 am)
    Re: any more news on shuttle

Quote:
    Oh my God! Some sick bastards are already selling recovered pieces of debris on Ebay!
    I had a feeling that was going to happen. Shame. I bet you the FBI and NASA was telling everyone that the pieces are "radioactive, toxic, and dangerous: Do not go near them" just for that reason. They aren't really that dangerous (mainly the heat was the danger), but they don't need people collecting evidence for souveneirs/profits. It's already a tough enough case to solve, and then we have people stealing the evidence!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.