The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won a High Standard GI. Just wondering if any one had one here. Since they are made by Armscor figured this should be the place to ask. I have a RIA tactical already.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
The Houston Texas High Standard company owns the name of the famous Connecticut gun company, High Standard, that made superb 22 target pistol but closed their doors around the late 1980's. in the early 1990's the "new" Texas based High Standard Co. started making clones of those target pistols. in later times that Texas company started selling Armscor 1911's with the Hi Std name on them. I have no idea of how much of the 1911 is Hi Std and how much is Armscor (??).

I and my son-in-law have the RIA Armscor version and it is a pretty good gun. Mine is highly modified with all internals being aftermarket whereas his is all original. His shoots fine and he would recommend it, I'm sure, as he really likes it. I bought mine to modify which I did. Mine serves as a frame for my Marvel Conversion Unit #1 and as a 45ACP Bullseye version (for looks only). It handles both jobs perfectly for me.

In general the Armscor 1911's have a good reputation. There may be other brands that are much more expensive but the Armscor 1911's are most certainly NOT a waste of money. I suspect the Hi Std Armscor 1911 to be the Armscor gun just re-branded.

LDBennett

·
Banned
5,428 Posts
The Citadel's are another Armscor company and I have one of those. One of these days I'll stick a trigger job action kit in it, but, it shoots fine anyway as is. Even happily eats old WWII 7 shot mags. I've had mine for a little over a year and don't have a single complaint with it. Hollow points gave it a little glitch with feeding (no jams or FTF's) but you could feel that they fed with a little 'bump' - polished the feed ramp a little and the noticeable bump disappeared.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought Armscor went belly up a while back.

Looks like they have a pretty good line of 1911's whether they make them or not.

http://www.highstandard.com/weapons-a-products/weapons.html#45

I have one of their M-4 rifles and it's well built.
Nope Armscor is going stronger than ever and the head of the company said they were going to build a US plant this coming year too. I have a RIA tactical and it is a very nice 1911. So now I have two 1911's

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I have a high standard 1911 and its a good gun. So far no complaints. Is accurate and shoots everything I feed it. It will serve you well just like it is or will make a great base to customize.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Nope Armscor is going stronger than ever and the head of the company said they were going to build a US plant this coming year too. I have a RIA tactical and it is a very nice 1911. So now I have two 1911's
And they're supposed to start forging frames.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts