The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for the Iver Johnson gurus out there. Is there any way to adjust the trigger pull on one of the old safety hammerless .32's? I'm going to dismantle the pistol anyway to thoroughly clean it.

Thanks,
Will

Attachments

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
You could stone the bearing surfaces, but on those guns they were case hardened so stoning my cut through the hardening and leave the parts subject to wear. You can also file/grind the sides of the mainspring (hammer spring) to reduce the trigger pull, but that may result in misfires if carried too far. I strongly suggest you not try to adjust the trigger pull or even disassemble the revolver unless you have experience with them. Those guns come apart easy and go together hard.

Jim

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could stone the bearing surfaces, but on those guns they were case hardened so stoning my cut through the hardening and leave the parts subject to wear. You can also file/grind the sides of the mainspring (hammer spring) to reduce the trigger pull, but that may result in misfires if carried too far. I strongly suggest you not try to adjust the trigger pull or even disassemble the revolver unless you have experience with them. Those guns come apart easy and go together hard.

Jim
Thanks Jim for the advice. Guess I'll limit dis-assembly to the cylinder to clean in the extractor area.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Those are a bit easier than the H&Rs because the trigger spring is easier to put back in, but they can still be a PITA, the reason most gunsmiths won't even work on them.

Jim

·
Banned
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't mind doing some small gunsmithing to it, I don't even want to measure what the double action trigger pull is - but it has to be around 6+ lbs. The action works flawlessly and it is all tight. I was just wondering if there was a way to tweak it to make it lighter. The idea of grinding or filing parts down though is not appealing. This is all original from around 1930. I think I'll just take some 0000 steel wool with decent gun oil to it and make it nice and clean, fire a couple test rounds off at the tree stump in my yard then wander down the mile to the range area next to the mountain, fire a couple full cylinders into a target and post a range report :). Need to post a couple other range reports for the same range run anyway. ;)

Oldest daughter is probably coming to visit in 2 weeks so, I'll go shooting with her. Need to sight in the scope on my 30-30 since hunting season starts soon. She can have a little target practice competition with her pop :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
By the picture it is a 2nd model which is designed for BP. The cylinder detentes give it away, they allow clockwise freewheeling of the cylinder. You also have only 2 pins (and a screw) holding the trigger assembly together. 3rd models would have positive detentes in the cylinder for each cylinder stop, a slightly meatier frame at the hinge joint and 4 pins without any screw holding the trigger assembly together. Another indicator between 2nd and 3rd models are what type of hammer spring it has, flat for 2nd model, coil for 3rd model. Yours was made before they were beefed up for smokeless.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts