The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen my 50 gr Vmax Hornadys at shops and at the gun show a few weekes ago and thought they were a little too high priced, soooooo....

Since I have to start replenishing the Swift ammo boxes for South Dakota I pull up Midway....and "Out of Stock, No Backorder.":eek::mad:

Then I notice virtually ALL .224 bullets from any manufacturer say the same thing!!!:confused::confused:

So I hit 3 shops I drive by in my travels where I saw them recently thinking I'll pick up all they have no matter what the price...and NOBODY has ANY .224 bullets!!!:eek:

One shop today had what looked like a new shipment of Bergers, with a few boxes in about 5 different weights, but I never shot Berger, and $27.99/100 seemed a little steep....

Yeah, later my buddy told me about how Berger used to own all the benchrest matches, but STILL, my Swift shoots the Vmaxs into 3/8" AND blows up P-dogs impressively and LAST year I paid $36/250!!!!

Do you think once the hysteria about AR Bans and Gun Control goes away it will come back to normal, or at least SANITY?????

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have been able to find what I need with a consistent eye on certain retailers. Check reloading suppliers often (mulitple times daily, especially Monday mornings) and you will eventually see what you need. For those of us who rode out this mess in '08 we learned from the past and purchased well in advance and in bulk. Most knew the hoarding would probably occur, but not to this degree. What troubles me above and beyond the lack of components or ammo is the rediculous fear mongering rumors that are abundant during these times. Hopefully these times will pass with no firearms restrictions in the end and we get back to some sense of normality at the range, until then I am staying out of gun shops and away from gunshows, I feel the retailers are profiting well, all the while fueling much of the BS fear and hoarding which makes most common sportsman unable to enjoy and afford shooting any longer.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
Do you think once the hysteria about AR Bans and Gun Control goes away it will come back to normal, or at least SANITY?????
NO!
In the past shooters and handloaders "Stocked-up" to ride it out until the hysteria settled and things got somewhat back to normal.

This time it is different. Obama is done talking and is taking action,action against the 2nd Amendment and the entire Constitution. Many are buying and stocking-up to ride it out, but many and hopefully most are stocking-up to arm themselves in preparation of the upcoming battle between the US Government and the American Citizen.

Make no mistake, this is not some LGS BS just to raise prices and make a ton of $$, this is War.

Take the time to read this.
http://redflagnews.com/headlines/must-read-key-items-missing-in-feinsteins-gun-bill-by-alan-korwin

·
Registered
49 Posts
My LGS has just about all the .224 bullets except the 55 gr. fmj. The 22 lr is still available. Every payday I stop by and pick up a brick of CCI. Their prices have remained the same on the 22 bullets. The reloading supplies are the same price, but the ammo price has climbed. No 223 or 5.56 ammo there though.

·
Registered
450 Posts
By far the easiest way is to sign up for stock alerts on the websites that offer that feature. Midway and Natchez offer that service. They will email you when they get that item in stock. It worked for me roughly 2 weeks ago. I went to Midway and placed stock alerts on several different 224 bullets (all 55 gr). 2 days later, I received an email from Midway saying they had the 55 gr Dogtown bullets. I was able to order a 1000 and got them in 6 days. I wasn't completley out of bullets yet, still have about 800, but figured I had better get some while I could. I think I paid 115$ for them shipped.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks John, I didn't know you could do that with Midway.

I still have about 300 or so Dogtown 50 gr sp left from my experiments last year, my Swift didn't like them as much as the Sierra Matchkings or the Vmax, but they were still shooting right around or just under an inch, but they did OK in my AR, just under 2" so that's what I load for it to use them up.

My AR is a 16" Hb Rock River tactical, the best I ever got with it was 1 1/2" with Black Hills so 2" I can live with.

Some guys have good luck with them though.

·
Super Moderator
47,518 Posts
I bought a couple of thousand bullets last year, before all this crap started. I don't shoot the AR as much as I used to so I still have quite a few. I don't think $27.99 is too far out of line for Berger bullets. I bought a 100 piece box of 62 grain last summer and paid almost that much for them. Berger makes some excellent bullets.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have been able to find what I need with a consistent eye on certain retailers. Check reloading suppliers often (mulitple times daily, especially Monday mornings) and you will eventually see what you need. For those of us who rode out this mess in '08 we learned from the past and purchased well in advance and in bulk. Most knew the hoarding would probably occur, but not to this degree. What troubles me above and beyond the lack of components or ammo is the rediculous fear mongering rumors that are abundant during these times. Hopefully these times will pass with no firearms restrictions in the end and we get back to some sense of normality at the range, until then I am staying out of gun shops and away from gunshows, I feel the retailers are profiting well, all the while fueling much of the BS fear and hoarding which makes most common sportsman unable to enjoy and afford shooting any longer.
i have been doing the same, which online suppliers do you check?

i have been checking midwayusa and nachezz only

·
Registered
357 Posts
Graf&sons, and Midsouth are also a few to keep an eye on. I see some small boxes of 100 Hornady come in a my LGS about every other week. I have picked up about 700 bullets so far.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think more and more people are getting tired of seeing nothing but $1 projectiles so the more we restrain our impulse to buy in this market the sooner the prices will come down. This will last a while but I don't think it's the new norm by any means.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
i have been doing the same, which online suppliers do you check?

i have been checking midwayusa and nachezz only
Grafs and powder valley

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.