Anybody have any experience with a spun hub on a outboard motor prop?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joe45c, Jul 17, 2017.

1. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

I have a 75 hp merc that i put a stainless steel quick silver lazer 2 prop on about 13 years ago. The last couple of times out i noticed it pulling high RPMS while going real slow under 10 mph. Talked to a few people and they think that my hub has spun inside the prop housing. Mine is pressed in And only one place in my area can un press them and re press them. (not something i want to tackle on my RCBS press):rolleyes: Anyway put my Alum. prop on and as soon as it stops thundering i'll take it out and see if it has stopped revving. Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem, and what is the best course of action is, IE replace the hub or replace the prop? I haven't got a firm quote on replacing the hub, but i am hearing $150.00. I can't remember what i paid for the prop. It was a ebay buy.

2. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A spun hub is usually the center hub in the prop slipping inside the prop. Replacing the prop is the easiest way.
    I'm sure that a prop shop could maybe fix your old one, but I've never seen an inexpensive prop shop.

tuckerd1, shootbrownelk and joe45c like this.

3. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Spun it on my 71 Mercury 500, 2 1/2 miles from the ramp. At least we got a good tour of the lake at just above idle speed. Reconditioned prop cost me $65

Slipping at mid speed? That don't sound right. Maybe cavitation (bubbles of air caught in front of blades)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
    joe45c likes this.
  4. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

No it's slipping at slow speed, less than 10 mph. When i give it throttle i hear it slip some then it catches and hits it's usual top speed of 40 mph.

5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

yeah it's the hub that's in the center of the prop that slips. On my alum. prop i can just remove the hub my self, but this one is pressed in under extreme pressure. I'm thinking that replacing the prop might be the way to go. A check on ebay has them around $150.00 and from what i'm hearing this prop shop charges about the same price for a hub replacement. I'll talk to them tomorrow see what kind of estimate i get. Nothing has to be done till later i have 2 Alum. props.

howlnmad likes this.
  6. howlnmad

If I were you, I'd invest in a spare, inexpensive prop. I always carried two on the boat. Several times I've had to jump in with my plastic hub nut wrench and change one out while treading water. I'm almost happy that our boat has suffered stringer and sole damage and not dumping $$$$$ into it anymore.
    Now, if I could just get it out of the yard.

7. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Already have. I have my original Alum. Prop and another one that i always carry on board. I also have a prop wrench that i carry too. Hey howln, your not talking to a newbe Mariner here. I have backups to backup that i carry with me.;) I have been lucky with this Lund/Merc combo. Haven't had hardly any repairs in the 17+ years i've had it. Just have a couple water pumps put in and i have done all the other maintenance on it myself. Even this prop is a after market item that bought that has held up well. i can't complain about my set up.

howlnmad likes this.
  8. howlnmad

Lucky you. I was dealing with a mid 80's Bayliner with an OMC sterndrive.:eek:

joe45c likes this.
  9. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

I agree, new prop!

joe45c and howlnmad like this.