anybody here into bows?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by MR HAPPY, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ms6852

ms6852 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

As my bow was mainly for physical therapy I bought an inexpensive PSE with take down 40lb draw. I went to Cabelas because they had one in a left handed model. The 50 lb limbs I bought from eBay.. The Arrows are of carbon nature. As I am a lousy shot I buy them long cause eventually I have to shorten them when I hit something else beside the target. I have almost taken down two helicopters just from a ricochet. But the carbon arrows are impressive as the shaft is so strong that they penetrate through my fence when I miss my target on a frequent basis.
    But I love the challenge of being accurate with the bow.

Kvasir, Aspeck, carver and 1 other person like this.
  2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I love bow hunting. I find it more enjoyable than rifle hunting. I just bought a Hoyt rampage xt
    C3466E76-F5DC-4917-A1D0-C5984A16C04C.png
    I bought my 15 year old a Hoyt turbohawk to replace his Martin.
    8B2344F3-524F-401B-962B-DF0C77C70D37.png

soundguy, Kvasir, MR HAPPY and 3 others like this.

3. Wraith60~

Wraith60~ New Member

Bowman Extraordinaire here (well, sorta, kinda, maybe...)
    strictly traditional longbows, #65 ll lefty (ok, I'm shooting my 54# right now...) recurves, make much of my own gear (haven't whittled a bow completely but soon!)

carver and Kvasir like this.
  4. Kvasir

Kvasir Well-Known Member

Arrow length may be limiting your accuracy. I'll try to explain as briefly as possible.
    When we talk about arrow spine there are two different factors. Static spine is how much the arrow flexes when a weight is hung on it between to fixed points. Dynamic spine is how it flexes when shot from your particular bow, and measuring that is a bit more crude.
    If when you hit the target the rear of the arrow is pointing to the right (for a left handed shooter), then the spine is too weak. If it's pointing left, it's to strong.
    Reverse that for right hand shooters.
    Shortening an arrow of the same static spine increases (strengthens) the dynamic spine. Alternatively, changing the weight of the tip will also change the dynamic spine. A heavier tip will cause the arrow to flex more when shot, and a lighter tip will flex less.
    If the arrow is pointing straight back at you, you win! that means all the variables are correct for your particular bow.

carver and ms6852 like this.
  5. MR HAPPY

MR HAPPY Active Member

nice looking bow. hows she feel in the hands? bows are like guns. you can feel the quality difference in each and every one

Kvasir, carver and slayer like this.
  6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    They both feel really nice in the hand. The grips feel nice, the draw cycle is smooth on both bows.

soundguy and carver like this.
  7. Wraith60~

Wraith60~ New Member

They make great bows a good price today,
    however if you really want to shoot your best a custom made bow is the way to go, its not much more expensive than a lot of gear these days, but then again you have to know what grip, length, materials etc, that you want