The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps,
Anybody around here into or have an interest in ballistic knives? I just recently purchased a book from Amazon entitled "THE BALLISTIC KNIFE" it's pretty interesting. It talks about all of the various versions of the knife made in several different countries all around the world. Good book I recommend it very highly to anyone interested in them. I used to Own two of the ballistic knives back in 1984 (I was only 12 years old then) I bought them from a mail order company that advertised them in guns and ammo magazine. The two i had were the American made version manufacturered by FLORIDA KNIFE WORKS, they were LEGAL to buy then they didn't get banned until two years later in 1986. I paid $75.00 each included shipping came to $150.00 for both. They lasted up into 1993 when the spring on one of them broke, putting that knife out of commission. Then in 1996 the other spring broke also. I couldn't find replacement Springs anywhere and I check every hardware store and mattress spring supply outlet I could find. I always took the empty handle with me but no spring ever fit right. Either too long, too wide, or just wouldn't fit. Finally sold all the rest of the knife components as a package deal on ebay for $200.00 and it sold quickly. Anybody here have any experience with them?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You asked- They are useless gimmick weapons.
They might be a novelty item but they are fun to play with in your backyard. I stated before, the two that I used to have I set up an old dart board against a tree in my backyard and try to hit it. However I missed more times than I hit, but they aren't very accurate to begin with. They're just fun to play with and if you have one, then you've got a knife that not many other people have. I see the old ones turn up for sale on ebay once in awhile. I sold my two knives without the broken Springs of course for $200.00 bucks for all components of two knives without springs. Not bad eh?

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
They might be a novelty item but they are fun to play with in your backyard. I stated before, the two that I used to have I set up an old dart board against a tree in my backyard and try to hit it. However I missed more times than I hit, but they aren't very accurate to begin with. They're just fun to play with and if you have one, then you've got a knife that not many other people have. I see the old ones turn up for sale on ebay once in awhile. I sold my two knives without the broken Springs of course for $200.00 bucks for all components of two knives without springs. Not bad eh?
Whatever turns you on.
A knife that shoots its blade out (very inaccurately,) leaving you with just a handle, seems idiotic. And they are illegal.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I can throw a knife more accurately and more effectively than a ballistic knife. I prefer to keep the blade in my hand though. Its kind of like throwing your gun.

·
Premium Member
19,170 Posts
Funny I never heard of them. Seems kind of stupid to give the blade of your knife to someone else. They could then cut you up with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys they're just a novelty item. I doubt if even the Spetsnaz really used them at all. It does seem pretty stupid to just throw away your knife on the battlefield.
Although I do know that the Russian Spetsnaz troops do in fact use a different type of knife that can shoot a single bullet out of the knifes handle. Leaving the blade still attached and ready to use. This knife is the NRS-2 scout survival knife. I'll put a pic of it with this reply.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
That knife looks a lot like an AK-47 bayonet without the barrel ring, even down to the wire cutting sheath.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That knife looks a lot like an AK-47 bayonet without the barrel ring, even down to the wire cutting sheath.
Actually gun nut there are three different versions of that knife. The one in the pics is the bayonet model. Still can be used to fire a shot just like the other two versions.

·
Banned
107 Posts
I remember these. Got banned back in the 80's, first at A federal level, next several states followed suit and either banned them or severely restricted their use and possession. Most states these days outlawed them entirely including California. They weren't really for actually using them, they're more a just a novelty knife. I got to play with one once as a kid, but that was about it.o_O I see them once in awhile pop up for sale on eBay and ****, coming with hefty price tags as well as serious legality issues, but people still buy them when they are for sale. Last one that I remember seeing sold for almost $500.00! They were nowhere near that much back when they were brand new!
I really C ant are paying that much money for an Illegal, low quality gimmick item that is 30+ years old now anyway.:eek:

·
Private Military Contractor
356 Posts
I love novelty weapons I have the book you were talking about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts