The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if it was here or whereever, but I read a review on a Rossi 92 Winchester clone in .454 Casull that was glowing....

And got me to thinking....

First, while my '97 Winchester riot gun does me well for deer here, and I don't think I can do MUCH better with a lever gun (5" groups with 1 oz sluggers at 100 from a bench with aperture sights, got my biggest trophy buck at 192 yds using my stand rail as a rest....)

...I probably will have to retire it soon, since last year it was 100 years old (made in 1912) and it is an heirloom...

Indiana legalized rifles for deer a few years ago, BUT it has to shoot a "pistol" type round....meaning lever guns in .357, .44 Mag or .45 Colt mainly....but a with a whole list of what is legal and what is illegal, mainly a straight walled cartridge of a certain length or less....

But they ALSO allow .458 Socom, which briefly made me think an upper for my Rock River AR would be the ticket, UNTIL I saw the waiting list and the PRICES:p

But while I like the .45 Colt round, and always liked lever guns, and if I ever DID get into Cowboy Action, I could use it for that too....but never thought I would gain much with the Colt over the 12 ga Riot...

But then I see the Rossi 92 Carbine in .454 Casull....:D

The Casull is legal for deer in IN, almost .45-70 power at 100, should reach out to 200 with power to spare....AND I can shoot .45 Colt if I want to, and maybe for Cowboy if I get into that....

Does anybody own a Rossi, or especially one in Casull? Does it take the pressure? I've never owned a Taurus/Rossi product, I know many guys swear by them but some guys don't like them much, is it something I should look at?

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
i have a rossi lever action 38spl. love it.

i have a tarus cicruit judge. 45lc, 410 3" again. neat gun.

i have a couple other rossi / taurs products. 85 pistol.. and another rifle which really escapes me at the moment ( grey hair ).. but I have no problems with any tarus or rossi product i have ever or currently own.

i REALLY lov ethat 38spl lever gun. fun to shoot.. no bruise on my shoulder at the end of the day.

eats LRN or FMJ equally fine.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple of years ago at a Trap/Skeet range my buddy hung out at, and made friends with the owner, we were hanging around after he closed and only a couple of close friends were left, we went to the skeet range and took turns trying to shoot skeet stages with a Taurus Judge with .410 skeet loads and a .38 Chiefs special with birdshot loads.

I did not shoot the Taurus, but many of the guys put many rounds through it, and they made it sound like they did it all the time.

In fact, they let my buddy try it and he actually broke two birds with it, which led to a lot of ribbing that he did better with it than with his Citori...;):D (He's a rifle shooter that has not quite mastered shotgunning....LOL:p:p)

I have never owned a Taurus product, but we used to have a member here from Brazil who talked up Taurus like it was Browning, and I know a lot of people who love theirs...

Rossi is just a "Sister" company of Taurus, right? Kinda like Chevy/Buick, right?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I have never owned a Taurus product, but we used to have a member here from Brazil who talked up Taurus like it was Browning, and I know a lot of people who love theirs...

Rossi is just a "Sister" company of Taurus, right? Kinda like Chevy/Buick, right?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't ever go that far. Taurus's qc stinks. Some guns are good out of the box some are total garbage and need to go back. Rossi is owned by Taurus and makes there guns with the Rossi name. Problem is Rossi used to be really good and reliable but there in the same tier as Taurus now

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
polishshooter:

I have owned and still own several Taurus/Rossi products and I have bought my last one.

Beretta Model 92 clone with adjustable sight that fell off twice until I fixed it. The factory sight as delivered would not stay together under recoil. Other than that a nice gun made on Beretta equipment left in Brazil after a Beretta military contract.

Rossi 22 pump could not hit the broad side of a barn. Poorly finished internally and rough operating. Sold it!!

Taurus Model 63 (22LR semi-auto clone of Winchester Model 63) had feeding issue until I cleaned up interior and fitted parts correctly. Accuracy only so-so and I actually tried fire lapping the bore (David Tubbs system) with little success. It is all stainless and the exterior looks good. The interior, not so much.

Taurus clone of Colt Lightning centerfire pump in 45 LC. Would not feed SAMMI correct reloads (need to be shorter to feed). I had to clean up interior to get it to feed properly even with shorter ammo. Accuracy is only so-so compared to Browning lever clones and Original Winchester lever guns.

All the rifle stocks were finished with a surface finish that turns opaque when bumped.

I also had a troubled Marlin lever in 357 that would also not hit the broad side of a barn. A friend had the same problem with his new one. The best levers in pistol calibers are the Browning clones. They are extremely well finished inside and out, shoot well, and are beautiful to look at. They are pricey even used but you do get what you pay for.

Any gun that shoots a long and short case version (like 38SPL and 357Mag) eventually has a problem when you shift back and forth between them. The short case version builds up a residue in front of the case that can preclude easy feeding of the longer case version unless you thoroughly clean the chamber area after shooting the shorter case version. For that reason I'd not plan on the 454 Casual and 45 Colt in the same gun. In a sturdy 45LC lever gun, like the Brownings or later Winchesters or even Marlins, you can find safe reloading data for them that is significantly hotter than pistol loads.

To me it sounds like 45-70 or 375 Winchester (fits later Model 94 Winchesters) would be the cartridge to use but if the OAL or the length of the case has a legal limit then those might not be available to use for hunting in your area (??).

LDBennett

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
I've got several firearms made by Rossi. 92 Winchester copies in four different calibers. 1890 Winchester pump copy. Two SxS shotguns. All excellent guns. And all made before Taurus took over Rossi.

I have no idea how good the current Rossi guns are. But since Taurus is involved, I won't touch 'em.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've had a Rossi .38 Special with 2" barrel and I love that gun! Fun to shoot and recoil is barely noticeable. I've also had a Rossi 12 guage/.50 cal matched pair and they are fun to shoot also.

Taurus, I had .357 Magnum and PT 92 and they are great guns! The 9mm 92 has fired over 10k rounds through it and still shoots true. I have nothing bad to say about either brand. They are great guns.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I pretty much agree with Helix's comments on Taurus and Rossi...but from the opposite side of the fence. :)

At one point in time you couldn't pay me to own any of the older Rossi firearms but I did own and enjoy several Taurii (Tauruses, Taurusessess, ??? :D)
Yes, I know the Rossies were inexpensive and they did work, but the fitting was terrible accuracy was iffy on the ones I have shot.
I am probably the only one here that thinks that Rossi's product quality and service actually improved after Taurus acquired them.
BUT...on the other hand, Taurus's quality and service HAS dropped in the last ten years since I've bought any of their products new.
I won't bother with a new Taurus anymore, but I have been tempted by several of the newer Rossi firearms (in particular the leverguns that PS is checking into).

·
Registered
555 Posts

Rossi is just a "Sister" company of Taurus, right? Kinda like Chevy/Buick, right?
I wouldn't ever go that far. Taurus's qc stinks. Some guns are good out of the box some are total garbage and need to go back. Rossi is owned by Taurus and makes there guns with the Rossi name. Problem is Rossi used to be really good and reliable but there in the same tier as Taurus now[/QUOTE]

Well, from what I heard Beretta bailed from Brazil and Taurus took over their factory....machinery included. So, some of the Taurus models are being produced with Beretta machinery. So, Beretta may be a better name than Browning. :)

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Ledslnger:

The Brazilians had a contract for the Beretta 92 pistol for the Military way back in the 1970's or early 1980's. When the contract was fulfilled, Beretta left the machinery behind per the contract arrangement. They made (make??) the 92 and the adjustable sight 92 (model # ???) on that machinery. As far as I know that is the only pairing of Beretta and Taurus.

I had/have (my adult son has it now) one of the Taurus 92's with the adjustable rear sight. The adjustable rear sight was the only problem with the gun and that sight was a Taurus design not a Beretta design. The gun was/is reliable, accurate, and has worn well over the years since new in about 1987.

Other than that 92, I don't think much of Taurus/Rossi guns from any era as I have bought a few through the years and even in the last 10 years. I'll not buy another.

LDBennett

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Well, from what I heard Beretta bailed from Brazil and Taurus took over their factory....machinery included. So, some of the Taurus models are being produced with Beretta machinery. So, Beretta may be a better name than Browning. :)
Machinery is nothing if you dont know how to use it or check your work. I can have the fastest and best car in NASCAR and it dosen't mean I'll win if Im a lousy driver. Is beretta better than browning? In some aspects yes but we're not talking browning/beretta. Is the name more well known? yeah I see his point but I think he was putting Taurus on the same scale as Browning quality wise.

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Just a a point of reference:

Browning makes no firearms. They specify a gun they want, a manufacturer, like FN (world wide but based in Belguim) or Miroku (a Japanese company) or an un-named American manufacturer, make it and Browning distributes it. Browning controls the quality by specification. They typically stock little gun product. Typically the distributors and dealers are their gun warehouse. That is why Browning guns are often hard to find. They have a run of a gun made, distribute it all and may not make another run of that gun for another year or more regardless that the gun might be featured in their catalog for that year.

Browning is owned by FN who also owns Winchester. Some of the current Winchester lever guns are made in Japan by Miroku and are several steps above what was made in America in fit and finish and quality but the new pricing reflects that in spades.

Taurus is a manufacturing company. They make all their own guns. They bought Rossi and sell some Rossi models with the Taurus name on it. I have no idea if any gun for sale today has Rossi's name on it anymore (??). The Taurus quality, fit and finish is much below that of Browning or most other gun manufactures. The exception might be the Model 92 pistol, once made on old Beretta machines. Taurus is in Brazil.

Anyway that is my understanding. If it is wrong please feel free to correct me.

LDBennett

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
I have a Rossi Ranch Hand in 44mag that I like, but its not very practical. I own several Tauruses and have had good luck with them all. From what I understand, they have recently hired a new president that has made a new commitment to quality control and service so we shall see. My biggest issue with them was getting a new gun out of the box and it would be filthy. If I didnt clean them first, my customers would question weather they were new guns or not.

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
so where does bras?z?tech fall into the tarus/rossi thing?

I must be extremely lucky. every tarus, rossi i have ever had has been 100% right out of the box new.

·
Premium Member
13,016 Posts
so where does bras?z?tech fall into the tarus/rossi thing?

I must be extremely lucky. every tarus, rossi i have ever had has been 100% right out of the box new.
Taurus bought Braztech so now the company is called Taurus/Braztech International. Like I said earlier, I have heard that Taurus hired a new president that is bound and determined to bring the customer service and quality control up to par. I say people should give him a chance and see if he can actually pull it off or not. They are now producing some of their firearms here in the US so that in itself could change things....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've got Rossi M-92 in .357Mag and LOVE IT. What's not to like? It's a beautiful gun that functions well out of box. Felt recoil of even the .357MAG is so slight that even small children can shoot it. And want to. And it's accurate.
But IMO the real fun is in considering the added velocity & energy the closed chamber rifle barrel bring to the picture.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/05/chris-dumm/lever-action-ballistics-30-30-vs-357-magnum/
Out of the box, my Rossi M-92 is for my purposes acceptable as far as action smoothness. And I expect it will get better from wear over time.
But here is a website from a guy who has developed a kit to smooth them out for Cowboy Action shooters.
http://www.stevesgunz.com/
Again, what's not to like? A proven design, reasonably well built, high magazine capacity low recoil rifle that greatly increases the velocity/energy of the pistol caliber round. I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
Going off an a tangent here.

A few quotes from the box of truth article.

>158-grain lead SWC handloads, filled with 5.7 grains of Unique. This load is equivalent to a .38 Special +P.<

Since that is 0.7 grains over max in my Lyman book, 1.0 grains over max in my Speer, and 1.0 grains over max on the Alliant website, then yes, I suppose it would qualify as +P.

>My mild 158-grain lead SWC handloads produced 1176 fps and 485 lb-ft from the carbine, which was better than I’d expected since they only burn a small charge of Unique, a fast-burning pistol powder.<

"MILD" load? "SMALL" charge?

This sort of stupidity casts doubt on everything written on that site.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Going off an a tangent here.

A few quotes from the box of truth article.

>158-grain lead SWC handloads, filled with 5.7 grains of Unique. This load is equivalent to a .38 Special +P.<

Since that is 0.7 grains over max in my Lyman book, 1.0 grains over max in my Speer, and 1.0 grains over max on the Alliant website, then yes, I suppose it would qualify as +P.

>My mild 158-grain lead SWC handloads produced 1176 fps and 485 lb-ft from the carbine, which was better than I’d expected since they only burn a small charge of Unique, a fast-burning pistol powder.<

"MILD" load? "SMALL" charge?

This sort of stupidity casts doubt on everything written on that site.
Or a possible typo. As the .7 part appears consistent. I'm not a handloader so I'll take your word for the discrepancy. But common sense suggests that a revolver round fired in a closed chamber would achieve better performance. I've read other reports (again taking THEIR word for it) that put the .357Mag through a rifle/carbine at .44MAG (from a handgun) velocity & energy. But of course the lighter bullet still lacks the impact punch of the heavier .44 round.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have owned 2 Taurus semi autos and am sorry to say they were not very good. Parts fell off and things broke. Service was all talk and no action. Being a glutton for punishment I just traded for a new Rossi 46103 .357 Very pretty looker, have not shot it yet. It passed the usual checks. Finding ammo that I don't need a loan to pay for is still tough in Houston, so it may be awhile. A bit of looking found it was made in a new factory built since Taurus bought Rossi. Taurus is printed on the frame. So as far as I'm concerned its a Taurus. Hope their revolvers do better. I can't help myself I like to play with cheap guns. Lord help me I have a SCCY too.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I was at Bass Pro in Cinci this weekend with $100 worth of saved up gift cards from Fathers Day and my B'day....

And I checked out a basic Rossi 92 carbine, uncheckered some kind of walnut like or stained Brazilian wood in .357...(they didn't have one in .45 or Casull...)

Outside of the fact I was in a hurry, so didn't ask to have the trigger lock removed so I could work the action...it LOOKED good...FINISH looked nice and tight....FELT good, and handy, a little too small in length of pull but then again I will always have my winter layers on shooting it for real, AND only $462.....357 is legal for deer and I already pown .38/.357 dies since my wife has her Colt Official Police....HHHMmmmmm.....

But then I spent the gift cards on the very LAST pair of Lacrosse 2000 denier Thinsulate scent free rubber boots Size 14 (I wear 13 wide so with a couple pair of wool socks they will work FINE) that I found at the very BOTTOM of the clearance rack for $99.97...... :cool:

I guess I will have to use the '97 at least one more year in the stand.....BUT....

...at least my feet will be TOASTY this year!;):D:p:p:p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts