The Firearms Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
GUNZILLA
7,779 Posts
I have the facsimile , the Taurus PT92FS. Bought it in 81 couldn't afford the Berreta than. Highly accurate for a Taurus, trigger is a little spongy but it was purchased after Taurus had bought the entire operation from Beretta in Sáo Paolo's operations including technical specifications, tooling, and machinery and acquires the company’s experienced work force. This acquisition lead to the development of the renowned PT-92 and PT99 9mm Taurus handgun. I still own it, but have not shot it in years.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The only thing I changed on my beretta 92FS is the hammer spring. Down the road might get the metal parts kit, but it runs as is.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I’ve been carrying a 92FS as my EDC for a little over 2 years. Oddly enough, it’s one of the guns I shoot the least. It usually only comes out when I’m testing a new ammo and want a comparison between the 92FS and my 1911 that’s chambered in 9mm.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m warming up to the 92.. from the 1911. Something different I guess. Anyway.,, I like to here what ya’ll think of the 92A1 and the 92FS.. so far,, it’s a great shooter , and I like the way it looks. It’s hard braking the 1911 blood line of 49 years, but I did it,, so here I am me and my brand new Beretta 92fs,,🤠
I had one several years ago. It was a good pistol; however if you have compared a full size 1911 you might like it better, I sure did. Matter of fact I sold it a school teacher at the school where I sub'd. I bought a Kimber SS Target II

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have the facsimile , the Taurus PT92FS. Bought it in 81 couldn't afford the Berreta than. Highly accurate for a Taurus, trigger is a little spongy but it was purchased after Taurus had bought the entire operation from Beretta in Sáo Paolo's operations including technical specifications, tooling, and machinery and acquires the company’s experienced work force. This acquisition lead to the development of the renowned PT-92 and PT99 9mm Taurus handgun. I still own it, but have not shot it in years.

View attachment 258082
That’s a nice gun,, I don’t care what anyone says.. my dad bought his in 81 also.. I shot it once,, it shot perfectly. Still mite get one someday. After the Ronin…😎

·
Registered
13 Posts
Highly used by the Turkish military and Turkish law enforcement. Sounds like a good shooter.
I've only been shooting for about a year, but my last two pistol purchases have been a 92X and a 1911 (Springfield R.O.Target). I'm having a blast shooting both of them! Big pistols, actually, HUGE, especially compared to my "carry gun", a Sig P-365.

·
Premium Member
9,963 Posts
I have a 92SBC I bought in the early '80's, as I recall. It was my first auto CF and is still a favorite. I did add night sights and had it cerakoted by former member JLA.

Reactions: chaswea

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a total of 4 Beretta 92's in one form or another. A plain 92-FS, 2 Compacts, and a Wilson Combat 92. Both Compacts and the plain 92 I dressed up a bit with Walnut grips, and a bit of gold fill. The Wilson is box stock. Both Compacts I also installed Walnut grips on, (along with extended magazines). All 4 run like scalded dogs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good reliable series. First one for me was an LEO trade in Centurion 96. Good gun but wasn’t big in to .40 at the time and not a fan of DAO. Later traded for a NIB 90-two. A great idea but those plastic slip on grips would crack along the back seam so I traded that for a used INOX 92, that’s a keeper.
I did the D spring swap on my 90-two and really lightened up the DA pull, a cheap upgrade. The INOX feels better than that so the previous owner may have done some trigger work.
I miss the days of cheap surplus M9 mags. When the Beretta got replaced by the Sig I bought a bunch of unissued still in the bag M9 mags for $8 a pop.

·
Registered
8,378 Posts
I've taken down a 92FS for cleaning many times, and cannot recall plastic parts. Can anyone list exactly what parts are plastic, and maybe a source os steel parts to replace those with? I wasn't looking for plastic at the time so maybe that was why I didn't find any...

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I've taken down a 92FS for cleaning many times, and cannot recall plastic parts. Can anyone list exactly what parts are plastic, and maybe a source os steel parts to replace those with? I wasn't looking for plastic at the time so maybe that was why I didn't find any...
I buy steel parts from Langdon Tack, Beretta, NDZ and Wilson. Plastic guide rods, triggers, lanyard loop, de-cocker and mag butt plate. My gun is a Itallian built in 2021

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've shot 4 different Beretta 92s and at 6 of the Taurus copies. All but one of the Taurus copies shot tighter and more reliably than all but one of the Berettas.
I have big hands, so the fat grip doesn't bother me, other than I don't like it. The grip DOES keep some persons from shooting it well, even some with large hands. For persons with smaller mits, I'm told it's like trying to fire bullets from a gallon paint can. I DO like that, with MOST models, one may carry it in condition one, and that they can sometimes be had in .40 S&W.
I can see why people who really like them do so, but they're never thrilled me. I'D rather have a .45 1911. If I was restricted to 9mm, I'd prefer a CZ-75 variant or a P-35, with the magazine disconnect removed.
JMO

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went to visit my brother and his family a few months ago. He had asked me to come down (Florida) to go with his stepson to a gun show in Tallahassee to "help" him pick out a pistol to use in his security job. I took my 92F with me to show it to him and my grandson took his Sig P250, hoping to sell it to him. He liked the Beretta and said that is what he wanted. There were a few of them at the show but he just could not afford them, all of them were right at $700.

At one table, I saw what I thought was a Beretta 92 for $450 so I called step-nephew over to look at it. I figured at that price it was used, but it really looked good. I went on down the row and left him and my grandson looking at it. Later on we crossed paths again and I asked him what he thought of it and he said that he had bought it and would have to go to the gun shop on Tuesday to pick it up. I left on Sunday so I never got to really see it or shoot it. While driving home my grandson said something about the gun and ask me if I had ever heard of Girsan, my answer was no.

The gun he bought was a Beretta clone from Turkey - Girsan. I picked up that gun at the show and never looked at the name because to me it was a Beretta! I would have bet big money that it was a Beretta. Next time I go to visit, I am again going to take mine so I can compare these things side by side and, of course, I want to shoot his!
The Turkish clones are pretty finicky due to the quality and tolerances. My shooting buddy bought one and had problems. I’m sure some of them come out okay ; hopefully that one will be one of the good ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's nothing that says you can't own a 92FS and a 1911, I know I do. I have had mine for about 30 years and haven't changed a thing and it is still going strong.

I liked my 92F so much that I bought a model 96D.
That sounds like a great plan. I just remembered why I always preferred the 1911 for 2 reasons: #1 they fit my hand perfectly #2 I am a left brain Texas Aggie scientist and just love taking things apart completely which I do with my 1911's but could not seem to get that Beretta 92FS all the way apart.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts