Anyone conceal carry a Government-sized 1911?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by OldManBryson, Jul 11, 2020.

1. OldManBryson

OldManBryson Active Member

Just curious if you carry IWB or OWB. Not interested in shoulder holsters at this time.
    Watched a G2 video and can't really see how that would be comfortable, unless I'm missing something.

2. Grizzly2

Grizzly2 Well-Known Member

I've done all three, but only on occasion when I felt like carrying my old Series 70 that Heinie put his sights on and did a little work on back in the 80's. It actually is comfortable, but for me, the weight eventually becomes an issue. IWB, it is actually more comfortable - size wise - then a double stack which is lighter. So far I haven't bought a proper concealed carry holster for mine. You really need one to tuck that butt in to reduce printing and a good belt to help with the weight. Because of that, I usually carry it either at home or when the jackets come out.

shootbrownelk, Broot and SilasW like this.

3. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

I have in the past, I do not often carry one these day though there's no doubt that on occasion in the future, I will do so again. I use a belt slide OWB. I cannot tolerate IWB, it's simply extremely uncomfortable. I have and do occasionally use a Bianchi shoulder holster, mostly in the winter, and I think it's "comfortable enough". I'll use it before I ever own an IWB holster.

4. Firedog

Firedog Well-Known Member Supporting Member

VT, Just under the Nostril of the Witches Nose
    OWB with loose shirt. Then I moved to my XDS3.3 in .40 due to the weight.

5. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I carry one all the time using an OWB.

45nut, shootbrownelk, Broot and 3 others like this.
  6. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporting Member

Hovannes, 45nut, OldManBryson and 3 others like this.
  7. mudman35962

mudman35962 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

at last years Tenn get together it was hardly noticeable. i am a OOL [observer of life]. i was a little surprised at how well it blended in, if you looked for it you saw it, other wise it blended in well. good job howlnmad. Ms mad dresses you well.

rick

8. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I did it on occasion in the winter. With a coat on you can carry any handgun you want. Now I just carry my Colt Defender in 45acp.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  9. Wild Turkey Cogburn

Wild Turkey Cogburn Well-Known Member

99% of the time, I carry a Government Model in OWB .

I forget it is there, unless I get into a place where situational awareness ramps up.

howlnmad likes this.
  10. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yup, carried an M1911A1 for the better part of three decades: IWB under a loose polo shirt, OWB under a sports or suit jacket using a DeSantis high ride thumbreak. Being 6'3" and 200ish lbs. helped.

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I have tried it a couple of times, around the house. I usually carry a small Sig 9mm so I can't seem to get used to the weight difference. I am big enough (around, not tall) to conceal it with the Hawaiian shirts I wear, I guess I could carry one without a problem if I got used to the weight.

shootbrownelk and Broot like this.
  12. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT No Power Options Supporting Member

I tried but my slim frame made it hard. I was able to carry a Commander size in a Yaqui Slide. While it would work with the full size, I never felt right with it. Body size makes a big difference and it might work for you. Good luck.

13. SilasW

SilasW Well-Known Member

I'd love to carry my full sized 1911 all year. IWB is not all that comfortable for me, regardless of what weapon it is. It would help if I lost some weight too. When cooler weather gets here a belt slide under a longer jacket works best in my case. Got more faith in my 1911 than any other I own as far as an SD gun. Pretty sure that somewhere out there is a IWB holster that's comfortable, jut never found it yet.

Wild Turkey Cogburn likes this.
  14. Broot

Broot Well-Known Mumbler Supporting Member

Just for kicks, I concealed my full lug 5” GP100 for a day during the summer IWB. Was a bit uncomfortable and heavy, but wouldn’t be too hard to get used to. A keen eye may have been able to detect it, but most never would.

A Sig P938 is what I carry everywhere, everyday, with extended mag. Federal HST LE P+ 124 gr.

shootbrownelk, ms6852 and BlackEagle like this.
  15. OldManBryson

OldManBryson Active Member

If I wanted to go smaller, I have A Sig P229 in 40 S&W. If I wanted to go smaller than that I have a Sig P239 w/a 9mm, 40 S&W, and 357 Sig barrels.
    May I assume that if I can comfortably carry a double stack (P229), that I could comfortably carry my 1911?