The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if you carry IWB or OWB. Not interested in shoulder holsters at this time.
Watched a G2 video and can't really see how that would be comfortable, unless I'm missing something.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I've done all three, but only on occasion when I felt like carrying my old Series 70 that Heinie put his sights on and did a little work on back in the 80's. It actually is comfortable, but for me, the weight eventually becomes an issue. IWB, it is actually more comfortable - size wise - then a double stack which is lighter. So far I haven't bought a proper concealed carry holster for mine. You really need one to tuck that butt in to reduce printing and a good belt to help with the weight. Because of that, I usually carry it either at home or when the jackets come out.

·
Premium Member
13,682 Posts
I have in the past, I do not often carry one these day though there's no doubt that on occasion in the future, I will do so again. I use a belt slide OWB. I cannot tolerate IWB, it's simply extremely uncomfortable. I have and do occasionally use a Bianchi shoulder holster, mostly in the winter, and I think it's "comfortable enough". I'll use it before I ever own an IWB holster.

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
OWB with loose shirt. Then I moved to my XDS3.3 in .40 due to the weight.

·
Premium Member
19,952 Posts
I did it on occasion in the winter. With a coat on you can carry any handgun you want. Now I just carry my Colt Defender in 45acp.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Premium Member
13,274 Posts
Yup, carried an M1911A1 for the better part of three decades: IWB under a loose polo shirt, OWB under a sports or suit jacket using a DeSantis high ride thumbreak. Being 6'3" and 200ish lbs. helped.

·
Super Moderator
41,575 Posts
I have tried it a couple of times, around the house. I usually carry a small Sig 9mm so I can't seem to get used to the weight difference. I am big enough (around, not tall) to conceal it with the Hawaiian shirts I wear, I guess I could carry one without a problem if I got used to the weight.

·
No Power Options
13,606 Posts
I tried but my slim frame made it hard. I was able to carry a Commander size in a Yaqui Slide. While it would work with the full size, I never felt right with it. Body size makes a big difference and it might work for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I'd love to carry my full sized 1911 all year. IWB is not all that comfortable for me, regardless of what weapon it is. It would help if I lost some weight too. When cooler weather gets here a belt slide under a longer jacket works best in my case. Got more faith in my 1911 than any other I own as far as an SD gun. Pretty sure that somewhere out there is a IWB holster that's comfortable, jut never found it yet.

·
Well-Known Mumbler
Aromatherapy 😍
4,300 Posts
I carried one for over 20 years IWB until a couple of years ago and got the urge to carry a revolver. Now I carry a 686 OWB.
Just for kicks, I concealed my full lug 5” GP100 for a day during the summer IWB. Was a bit uncomfortable and heavy, but wouldn’t be too hard to get used to. A keen eye may have been able to detect it, but most never would.

A Sig P938 is what I carry everywhere, everyday, with extended mag. Federal HST LE P+ 124 gr.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I wanted to go smaller, I have A Sig P229 in 40 S&W. If I wanted to go smaller than that I have a Sig P239 w/a 9mm, 40 S&W, and 357 Sig barrels.
May I assume that if I can comfortably carry a double stack (P229), that I could comfortably carry my 1911?

1,077 Posts
If I wanted to go smaller, I have A Sig P229 in 40 S&W. If I wanted to go smaller than that I have a Sig P239 w/a 9mm, 40 S&W, and 357 Sig barrels.
May I assume that if I can comfortably carry a double stack (P229), that I could comfortably carry my 1911?
Probably

IMHO, it all depends on your holster and belt.

After that, your mode of dress will dictate what, how and if you can carry.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Probably

IMHO, it all depends on your holster and belt.

After that, your mode of dress will dictate what, how and if you can carry
I'm 6'3" and 280#. I'm a jeans and baggy t-shirt kinda guy. Sometimes I'll tuck in a t-shirt and wear a loose button-up shirt (unbuttoned).
I do like the overall idea, though!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts