The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was decapping rounds and periodically a shell would pull the decapping pin out of the holder. After Paying attention I notices they were all the same - marked with "A USA" (see attached picture) and after further inspection I noticed it only occured on the brass with gold colored primers and not the silver colored primers. I'm not sure if they have a waterproofing sealant on them, but they will not decap without taking my pin out too. Using RCBS Rockchucker II with carbide 9mm dies.

I just put the shells I separated out into my junk box. Might use them later for some art or casting... along with the old primers I saved too ... lol.

Thanks,
jeff
bad_casing.jpg

·
Registered
107 Posts
most likely a berdan cases and primers . the berdan have 2 small flash holes and you can't knock them out

·
Super Moderator
38,540 Posts
A-USA is not berdan primed. I also seem to remember some problems when reloading some of those but I cannot remember what that problem was.

Reactions: sparkyv

·
TFF Chaplain
18,896 Posts
Are they military cases? Could the primers be crimped?

And yes, could the flash hole be undersized?

·
Registered
851 Posts
A-USA is not berdan primed. I also seem to remember some problems when reloading some of those but I cannot remember what that problem was.
I've had problems with A-USA brass being maybe softer brass and or thinner walls. I scrap it and a couple other headstamps.

·
GUNZILLA
5,990 Posts
From the picture provided that seems like a very strong crimp on the primer, I would be leary about using a regular decapping pin is it could bend it or break it. I've never used armscor brand so not familiar with it at all.

Reactions: BlackEagle
1 - 7 of 7 Posts