Anyone ever been to a varment competition?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by firefighter1635, Dec 20, 2016.

1. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Ive been invited to shoot in some varment competitions this upcomming spring. From everything the fella told me about it, it sounds like a blast. It's a points based shoot, with points being awarded throughout the series. The series takes place all at the same club and is 12 shoots long. Every shoot a random varment silhouette is chosen. It could be anything from a squirt to coyote. 5 shots are taken at 200, then another 5 at 300, 400 and out to 500 yards. 20 scorable shots total with unlimited sighters at 200 only (better have dope figured out!:eek:). There are 2 classes, bolt guns up to 308 and semi auto up to 308.

I've never competed in anything shooting related and I'm kind of apprehensive about it. I know my AR special purpose rifle build can compete with any semi auto at that distance and beyond, I'm just worried of making a fool of myself:D.

howlnmad, m77user, tuckerd1 and 2 others like this.
  2. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

There is almost always a VARMINT hunt going on around here.
    they are very organized. Some organizations like hunting or even volunteer fire departments put them on for fund raisers. Alot of country churches put them on also

You pay a fee to enter or you can enter as a team of up to 3 or 4
    then you go out and hunt and bring in your kills to get your prizes

Some of them have different ways to win money, like most coons, most rabbits, or biggest coyote
    You stay out all night, and hunt on your land or other land you have permission to hunt on.

3. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member

In any competition you have to start somewhere. At least you can identify your weak points along with your strong points. The next competition you enter you will know what to expect and train better for it.

That's what my son and I did with trap. It took me a year to get any good at it. 5 years latter I finish in the top 25 out of 250 in our club leagues. My son is in the top 10.

4. dbcooper

I encourage you to go out and do it. You will have a blast

5. tuckerd1

tuckerd1 Moderator Supporting Member

Bet you won't be the only one.

howlnmad and firefighter1635 like this.
  6. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

This isn't actual hunting DB. Just punching paper for competition, but what you described sounds fun too. I'm going to go ahead and enter, I've got enough time behind a rifle surely they won't laugh me off the lineo_O. Who knows, maybe it'll make me a better shot.

howlnmad, crystalphoto and dbcooper like this.
  7. dbcooper

Crap I read your post and missed the silloute part!:D

8. Twicepop

Twicepop Well-Known Member

A gun club I used to belong to, we did what we called Varmit Rifle shoots. All shooting was done at 100 yards on a regulation 100 yard bench rest target. We had about 4 or maybe 5 categories for all types of rifles from factory sporters all the way up to regulation bench rest rifles. You could move up a category if you wanted and were willing to shoot against a higher grade of gun. Moving down a grade wasn't allowed. Targets had to be purchased from the club, of the total purse the club kept 30% and the 70% remaining paid the top three shooters in each category.

9. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Well-Known Member

Firefighter
    There is no such thing as making a fool out of oneself when it comes to shooting.
    Every shoot is a learning experience and another chance to gather with the finest and most caring people in this nation, legal gun owners.
    In addition, I have never seen or been to a club that would not go out of their way to make you feel welcome and to point out how well you did, even on a bad day. lol

Merry Christmas friends

UF

firefighter1635 likes this.
  10. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Out here we have the annual Antelope Eaters Hunt the first weekend in March. Hunters compete to take as many coyotes as they can to win prizes, top among them being two varmint-grade ARs. The objective is to thin the herd before the antelope calve (or whatever it is they do) to reduce losses to predation. It sounds like a fun event, though I've never had the chance to participate.

firefighter1635 likes this.
  11. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Well-Known Member

I have never been in a contest like your talking about. But I have a contest very time I go back home to Wyo and shoot prairie dogs with my son and brother. I have three guns I shoot and they each have two or three as you shoot so many times they get hot so we switch until they cool out.

I really wish I could take some of you up there with me in July or October to have the fun we do every day we get out.
    Sometimes we take a break and go trout fishing for an afternoon but nearly every day for a week we get scope time and it is the best fun you can have with your clothes on. LOL

UF

Larry Isaacs and firefighter1635 like this.