The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall this a big issue a decade or so ago. I have one that has never been ANY problem.
Soooo.... I'm asking here.

Have YOU ever cracked that forcing cone on the M66?

As I recall, the issue came up when shooting LIGHT bullets at high ..357 pressures. I think it was 110 grainers.

??

I ...usually... shoot the 38 wadcutters but when I hanker for noise and commotion, I use the 158 gr jacketed .357s.

:)

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done it in a model 19, nearly broke my heart. Was shooting 125 grain mid-range loads.
Yikes. I had a 19. Didn't know they were also affected.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Well it took a while :). I have a model 19-4 that I got new in the early 80s and shot it heavily throughout my youth. The main issue with that model is the underside of the forcing cone has material shaved off to allow the cylinder yoke to travel under it. If your model is rounded under the forcing cone it shouldn't be a problem. Even if the relief is there it still should give you little concern as long as you stay away from anything under 158 grains.
Here's a post of my experience

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it took a while :). I have a model 19-4 that I got new in the early 80s and shot it heavily throughout my youth. The main issue with that model is the underside of the forcing cone has material shaved off to allow the cylinder yoke to travel under it. If your model is rounded under the forcing cone it shouldn't be a problem. Even if the relief is there it still should give you little concern as long as you stay away from anything under 158 grains.
Here's a post of my experience
I...think...all are relieved for the cylinder

·
Registered
124 Posts
We were issued Remington and Winchester .357 125 JHP, and I did see a model 19 or two with cracked forcing cones, and also a Python with damaged forcing cone. I carried my '72 mfg. 66 no dash for several years, and also shot it recreationally. Never did crack the forcing cone, but pretty much wore it out otherwise. Had it overhauled by S&W. It now has very few original parts. Started carrying an L-Frame shortly after having the 66 overhauled, so, other than LEOSA qualifications, haven't shot the 66 a lot since.

I understand that at some point the 66 was reengineered to eliminate the flat at the bottom of the forcing cone, and cracking is no longer an issue.

BTW, The 110 grain .357 was actually loaded more moderately than the .357 125, and was not the culprit in causing cracked model 19 and 66 forcing cones....

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I seldom (and not for a long time) used the 125.. I guess I was the target audience for the M66. I....usually.... shoot 38 special and for kicks at times will load up the 357s. But they are 158 gr.
I did use the 125s in the pawn shop in my 640 that I holster carried. The 125s out of a short barrel produce a ..FIREBALL! I theorized that a robber in a fireball would get a little rattled if I had to shoot him.

..or her.. 😉

The M66 (6" bbl) seems to be very accurate with either the 38 or 357

Organism Font Circle Art Illustration

1 - 8 of 8 Posts