Anyone experience this?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by plasticman, Apr 11, 2009.

1. plasticman

plasticman Former Guest

Seems like each time I go to the range and fire my handguns, 1 out of 20 spent casings fly over and behind my shooting glasses (right eye). Then the case burns me, right under the eye! Ouch!! Very annoying. The only answer I can think of would be to wear a hat.

Anyone experience this? Or any other advice??

Thanks! :p

2. 94z07

94z07 New Member

Once. Since then I've never forgotten my ball cap.

3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Seen that several times before.

I always wear a ballcap over my glasses and am wary of people who don't.

I once saw a man violently twist on a firing line and send a 9mm bullet down the line. The cause was a hot case stuck under his glasses frame burning his eyebrow.

Seen 5.56mm brass burn many dudes' necks too, but that's a different story.

You already said the smartest advice. Wearing some headgear is too easy.

4. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

5. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

He's lucky he just has on a t-shirt. A jacket collar usually keeps the case still long enough to stick to the skin, which will normally blister then scar.

6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Oh yeah, My little Beretta is bad for drupping hot cases down a shirt fron or back. My wife found out first hand. she wanted to fire it and was wearing a tiney shirt that was low cut and had some cleavage showing and one droped right down the front for her shirt. She gotta cute little scar from it, I could post a pic but I would get castrated for it. (I would never post nude photos of my wife, I was just meaning a pic of the scar);):D

7. artabr

artabr New Member

My PT-92 had the nasty habbit of doing that. Had a case stick to my face once. I learned to like hats when shooting.

Art

8. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

do other pistols of the same type eject the same way? if not then see if your ejector can be reprofiled or replaced. when you need it you will not have time to put on a hat. ask a good smith what may be done.

9. ilovenxstage

ilovenxstage New Member

I've never gotten hit in the face with a casing, but every now and then when I'm shooting my Firestar, I will have a shell casing fly back and hit my right arm. Since it just bounces off, I've never gotten burned, even though it is not exactly comfortable when that happens.

10. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I guess I'm lucky then cuz the closest I came to that was picking up the shell while it was hot for $500, easiest money I ever made.

11. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Well-Known Member

At our indoor range I always shoot right lane against the wall, I've had them bounce off the wall and land in many different places. I now put a grocery bag over the ejection port saves the casing from bouncing and it's an easy brass picker upper. JUNK

12. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member

That's a great tip thanks Junkking!:cool:

13. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thats pretty cool!!
    Recently I had a .50 AE casing get stuck behind my glasses and burnt me pretty good under my left eye. My wife catches brass down her front.

14. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

It's a great dance, huh?

I guess I'm lucky. My weapons send brass away from me. My XCR is the nicest in that it send the casings around 15 ft at about 1:30.

I have been hit by other peoples brass, but it's never got caught anywhere for too long.

15. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sometimes at the range I get hit by AK-47 casings from 4-5 stalls to my left!