The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little beauty here. Marlin M-1 .22. Had it since I was 14 years old. No sights. Must have been set up for scope only. Gold trigger. Maybe from the Fifties?? Use my Bushnell Custom .22 3x7 on it. Know anything about it? Thanks. ---Matt

· Registered
50 Posts
The 99M1 and 989M2 were put into production in the 50's to capture the heart and sole of the WWII vet. They were a way for those that served to get a similar rifle to the one they carried and be affordable. They made the 989m2 (Box mag instead of tube) as well. I think the production ran approx 5 years. If you have one, keep it.
This link has some history info on the Marlin rifles, hope it helps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlin_Model_60

the sights are extremely hard to find and if you do they will run you about $100. Alot of the original sights were taken off so a scope could be put on the gun and then got lost.... I believe Tech sights can be put on the rifle and give it a more authentic look but they are a little pricey too....

Reactions: Big Shrek

· Registered
30 Posts
If there isn't a serial number on the side of the receiver, look for two small letters on the left side of the barrel just in front of the handguard. Use the chart below to date it.
If the ser. numbers are on the receiver, use the first two and subtract from 100 to give the date of mfg.

From 1962 thru 1968 Marlins rimfire rifles (other than the 39 series lever actions) used a two letter date code that was stamped on the barrel. This date code is different than the one already listed, as Marlin rimfire rifles (other than the model 39 series) did not have a serial numbers until required to by Law after 1968. The first letter of the date code represented the month of manufacture while the second letter indicated the year. This date code was usually stamped on the left side of the barrel just in front of the receiver. The first letter of the date code is as follows:

A = Jan.
B = Feb.
C = Mar.
D = Apr.
E = May
F = June
G = July
H = Aug.
I = Sep.
J = Oct.
K = Nov.
L = Dec.

The second letter of the date code is as follows:

F = 1962
G = 1963
H = 1964
I = 1965
J = 1966
K = 1967
L = 1968

· Registered
3,572 Posts
I lucked into my little Marlin 99M1 some years back at the local gunshow - a certain vendor I dealt with often had stuff he knew I liked. Paid $75 for it, and it has the rarely seen rear sight. Sometimes I scope it, sometimes I like shooting it with the ironsights. Unfortunately, my 55 year old eyes need the scope more these days. Very light and handy little rifle, and a great 'bunny buster'!

Reactions: Big Shrek

· Registered
296 Posts
I'd never heard of them until I was browsing through the aisles at my usual haunt and saw what I thought was a neat little .22lr on the rack. Picked dup and liked it. No rear sight but it had a period scope. I figured it was worth the $95. :)

· Registered
2 Posts
Actually, Spud9 et al, the Marlin 99M1 came out in 1964 and the Marlin 989M2 came out in 1965. The rifles are identical except that the former is tube fed and the latter is fed by a clip magazine or box magazine. They both were made until 1978. The 989M2 has significantly lower production numbers for the whole run so it is found quite a bit less often than the 99M1.

Oh, I will introduce myself...hello I am Ithacabuff from Iowa and this is my first post on this forum. Howdy!

· Registered
66 Posts
Bought my 99 M1 circa 1966 for squirrel hunting...paid about $45 for it. The Ruger 10/22 was a fairly new rifle back then. LOL, bought the Marlin as it was about $6 less and I had doubts about the rotary magazine in the Ruger.

Anyway, it proved to be a darn good squirrel hunting rifle with a 3-8x32 Bushnell banner scope on it. Loved to find a squirrel peeking around a tree trunk or limb at me....just put the crosshairs on it head, lots of between the eyes kills with the scoped M1. Occassionally shoot the 99 M1 at the range and it still is a pretty accurate rifle for me.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a little beauty here. Marlin M-1 .22. Had it since I was 14 years old. No sights. Must have been set up for scope only. Gold trigger. Maybe from the Fifties?? Use my Bushnell Custom .22 3x7 on it. Know anything about it? Thanks. ---Matt
I ALSO HAVE A MARLIN M-1 .22 AND I LOVE IT.VERY ACCURATE BUT FEED PROBLEMS. ANY SUGGESTIONS ?? RON K.

· Registered
296 Posts
I ALSO HAVE A MARLIN M-1 .22 AND I LOVE IT.VERY ACCURATE BUT FEED PROBLEMS. ANY SUGGESTIONS ?? RON K.
For a feed problem start with the basic trouble shooting. Give it a good cleaning, check all parts for fit and signs of excessive wear or damage. Next on list check the magazines body, feed lips, and spring for anything unusual. You may also want to try some different ammo, some guns are picky about that. Good luck.

· Registered
1,559 Posts
I've got the 1966 Marlin 989-M2, love it!!
Added a Marlin stamped leather sling as well!

Have the rear site, removed it to slip on a DIP rail...and a BSA scope...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.