Anyone having trouble finding .22 ammo?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 45nut, Apr 16, 2009.

1. 45nut

45nut Well-Known Member

I can't find many of the bulk packages of 300 or more in any of the retail stores. Yesterday I hit 2 Wal-Marts & Bass Pro, called Dick's and another local store, and no bulk 22 was available.

Today I called my man in the country and he said he had plenty. Back around new years I was busy buying centerfire and there was plenty of .22's on the shelf. :eek: Oh well, a drive to the country won't be bad. :D

What's it like in your neck of the woods?

2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

For a while, we had lots of the hollowpoints (which won't feed properly in a couple of my .22s), but now most of those are gone completely. I got some Blazers recently, on sale for a good price, but the .22 supplies are thinning out fast here. Looks like all the larger calibers were grabbed up, now everyone's grabbing .22s as well.

3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

pincone, are those hollowpoints that won't feed properly truncated cone Remington rounds, or are they the regular round nose style hollow points? The reason I ask is that truncated cone hollow points don't seem to feed well for many people with semi-automatics. However, the round nose hollow points seem to work with no noticeable difference to solids in all my .22 semi-autos. I'm be interested in your reply on this. :)

To the original post, yes I'm having trouble finding any .22s. I've had 800 CCI's (mixed types) on order from Midsouthsouthshooterssuply.com for 2 months and most are still on back order. CCIs can't be found unless you want to pay exorbitant prices for them. Dick's had the CCI 36 Gr. HP's on the shelf for $9.99/100. I've seen the bulk Winchester Dynapoints in K-Mart but they were $29.99 for 500 I believe. :eek:

4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I haven't had trouble finding any, but it's been over a year since I've been "looking" for any .22s. If I see some that I want, I buy some. Otherwise, I've managed to keep a good stock on hand.

They seem to still be around sometimes. Maybe not every day, but I usually see some at least every week.

5. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    No, there's plenty within minutes, but the prices have gone up. I was stunned to see a box of .32 going for $35!! The .22 bricks were anywhere from $18 to $25, which is a real jump since I last bought. I guess people are starting to horde on a grand scale. TJ

6. pawn

pawn Active Member

my walmart has no bulk 22lr ammo available. when it does come in its gone in less than 2 days. they have a purchase waiting list you can sign up to buy bulk ammo. it's crazy?!? :eek:

7. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Well, my Smith 422 doesn't like any hollowpoint made by Remington or Winchester (their Xpert HV seems truncated). Seems like a combination of the 422 being extremely picky and the fact that those bulk .22s are not made to the strictest standards as far as ammo goes. With premium priced solid round nose CCI or even the super cheap, filthy Blazers, that gun can really shine. I've pretty much gone through whatever .22s I can find to see what it likes best. My Marlin 60 didn't like any brand or type of ammo, so I've concluded that there is something wrong with the rifle itself. :) I purchased a brand new 39A that functions much better...

I'm using up Remington Golden Bullets and Federal hollowpoints in my revolver, the Remington Thunderbolts are gone. Remington Subsonics have a round hollowpoint and practically none of those work in the 422. I suppose it's the nature of semi-autos to balk at the tiniest difference in casings or whatever. Hollowpoints have way too many duds in my experience too.

8. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Interesting Pinecone. I've never seen a .22 semi-auto quite that picky about hollow-point ammo that's not truncated cone. I've shot a good mix of everything possible (except the truncated cone garbage) in my Marlin 60, Ruger 10/22 and Ruger 22/45 semi-autos. I guess some guns are just picky?... Thanks for the info! :)

9. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Yes, the 422 is unreasonable about ammo, but I really like it.

10. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

It's not hard to get but it's really expensive here. A box of 500 is going for $50 dollars now when last month it was $20. I know we have to spend money to fix the economy, but if we spend too much then we wont have any afterward.

11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

There are two Wal-marts in town, I bought three bricks of Thunderbolt .22 the other night in one of them at $16.70 a brick. They also have something called 333 which is a bulk pack with (you guessed it) 333 rounds in it for $9.97. I have not been to the other one. My local gun shop has cases and cases of .22s. Different prices according to the brand, his least expensive is Blazer at $18.50 a brick.

12. Monkey Hollow

Monkey Hollow Member

In NE Pennsylvania there is plenty to be had, with a price of around $22 to $26 per brick.

13. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I buy a brick every time I go to Wallyworld. Several bricks in one store in NW LA. Fifteen - twenty bricks at the Carthage, TX store. We're still paying around $13 per brick here. I also noticed the 333 bricks. Didn't think it was as good a deal as the 550. I have also noticed that Wall Mart is selling 00 Buck, and slugs, in boxes of 15 for $9 - $10, for 12ga. Can't speak of any for other gauge shotguns. Been buying a box or two of the slugs, and Buck shot, on each trip to Wallyworld.

14. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

Last weekend I went on an ammo hunt for .22. Farm and Fleet was cleaned. Dicks only had Remmington, but due to my experiences with that stuff, I won't buy .22 in Remmington. Bought a brick of match grade .22 for 25. Steep, but I need something other than hollows. Went to Wally's and bought 4 bricks of .22, but it looks like their shelves are getting bare too. I always buy 5 bricks at a time.

15. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Just bought 1,000 rounds of bulk .22 ammo (Winchester, silver box) at Walmart this week, for $26.

They had NO other pistol ammo. :eek: