Anyone here do SASS shooting?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by The Collector, Jan 9, 2017.

1. The Collector

The Collector Well-Known Member

So I'm interested in getting into the sport. Was curious if some here has experience with it because I'd like to chat about it before dumping 2+ grand in guns.

Kweeksdraw and carver like this.
  2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

20+ years ago I did. Tons of fun for certain!

Kweeksdraw, carver and joe45c like this.

3. Big Mak

Big Mak Well-Known Member Supporting Member

4. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

It does look like fun, for sure!

The outlay for guns is only part of it. Everyone is expected to play in costume, you invent your own alternative persona, and travel to the meets. I like SA shooting as much as anybody, but I prefer slower-paced plinking rather than the fast-paced competition shooting they do.

5. The Collector

Well, I have three vintage sewing machines, one of which is capable of doing light leather and I've done hand crafted leather work before, so I'll probably make my own stuff over the course of the next year or so providing I can find time. One of the things that attracted me to the SASS shooting is the alter ego you have to come up with. I've been throwing names around for nearly a year now. I know that there are different kinds of matches and I want to get guns and calibers that apply to as many match types as possible. For shotgun I'm thinking a side by side 12 guage. I was thinking .44-40 or .45 colt for rifle and pistol.

6. The Collector

Also, I'm thinking of doing a Mexican persona...Would that be allowed?

Kweeksdraw, The_Rifleman and carver like this.
  7. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Lots of information on this forum about it; Cas City Forum. Plenty of discussion about firearms, rules, clothing, and future events

Kweeksdraw and carver like this.
  8. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

What turns me off to SASS is the expense. Sure you have to buy the proper guns, and the clothes, but then you have to travel to the events, and you have to have a place to stay! I'm sure it's a lot of fun, but there are other things out there that are just as much fun. And for a lot less money!

Kweeksdraw and joe45c like this.
  9. The Collector

That is something I did not consider...

carver and Kweeksdraw like this.
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

First, there is no need to put out huge amounts for clothes. Jeans, boots (and they don't have to be "cowboy", or even pull on) and a long sleeve shirt and you're there. Yes, some people spend hundreds, even thousands, of dollars on costuming, but you don't need to. All I had to do to change from "cowboy" back into "redneck" was take off my vest and switch from my Stetson to a ballcap.

Before you chose your guns you need to decide what you want to do.

"Participate", and have fun? Any gun will work. I showed up at a match once with a S&W #3 Russian (just the one pistol - reloaded on the clock), a Swedish underlever hammer shotgun with 29.5" barrels, and a Spencer. They were timing me with a calendar, but I had fun.

"Compete" - which means "trying to win" - you want Rugers in 357 (and shoot light 38 loads) and a 73 Winchester (real or Uberti). Those are going to be the "fastest" guns. O'course, most folks, themselves, ain't fast enough to over-run the other guns.

There are two shooting categories that are "gun specific". Classic requires guns in 40 caliber or larger, the rifle has to be 73 or older, and you can't use a pump shotgun.

B-Western requires rifles newer than 73.

Travel - well, I've shot Mule Camp a few times (used to was in Gainesville but is now in Conyers - both Atlanta-area towns) and the Mississippi Fandango, which is in Holcum, Wisconsin. Both a fair piece from the Florida panhandle. But there are monthly matches a whole lot closer. Got one 60 miles north and another'n 45 miles east. And the bigger your town, the more likely there are several matches every month. You don't GOTTA do them long trips.

Me - I participate. I don't shoot fast. Got bad knees, so running's out (it's a timed competition, so the faster you get from shooting position A to position B, the lower your time will be). And I shoot full loads. Many's the time some well-meaning shooter has told me that if I learned to reload I could make lighter loads, which would let me get back on target sooner. But something Mike Venturino said, years back, stuck with me.

"If, when the buzzer sounds, a war party of screaming Comanches came riding over the berm, would you be happy with what you have in your guns?"

I would be. And like I told my daughter (often), "Ignore the timer. Don't matter how long it takes. The point is to kill all the Comanches."

This is why I'll never win.

Weellll, I did come in second, once, in Classic. 'Course, there was only two of us shooting Classic that day, and the other guy's total time beat me by about five minutes. :p :D

carver, AaronW, joe45c and 5 others like this.
  11. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

It's no different than any other activity a fella pursues. You can take it as serious as you want and become as deeply involved as your heart desires. Or you can "participate" as Alpo mentioned. I like the way he put it. Neither is wrong.

carver, joe45c and Kweeksdraw like this.
  12. The Collector

I wonder if they would let me participate with modern guns just for fun to try it out and see if I like it...

carver and Kweeksdraw like this.
  13. Designer

Designer Well-Known Member

That and the Mexican persona would be up to them, and I couldn't begin to guess.

My suggestion is to simply observe once or twice and talk to the folks. You will probably run into lots of people with the same general questions. They might let you shoot, but probably not for a prize.

carver and joe45c like this.
  14. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

I don't think so, they have pretty strict rules.

Great information Alpo, i didn't know you were so involved in CAS.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2017
    carver likes this.
  15. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Show up, tell 'em you're interested, and be ready to duck so you don't get hit by the avalanche of loaner guns coming at you.

Joe - Alpo, 48886 Life.