The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Arizona Game and Fish Commission and the National Park Service is accepting applications for "skilled volunteers" to reduce the size of the buffalo herd in the Grand Canyon National Park, according to this website.
Grand Canyon NP seeks 'skilled' hunters to reduce bison population inside the park (msn.com)
Was wondering if anyone on this forum was 1. Aware of this and 2. Interested in applying 3. If you were to volunteer, what cartridge/gun combination you would use.

·
Premium Member
19,006 Posts
Man that would be neat. They will be allowing hunting in the Grand Canyon Park? What do they do with the Buffalo you shoot? I can't apply, but if i did i'd like to use a original 1885 win. .45-70. Of course i don't have one of those either, :(

·
Registered
10,460 Posts
I don't have a big enough freezer to hold a buffalo or any pack mules but if I did I'd use my 45-70 Sharps, there's been a lot of them killed back in the wild west days with that round from rifles shooting cast lead bullets and a black powder charge.

·
Registered
17,329 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,689 Posts
None of the guns y'all mentioned are legal for the hunt.

It specifically says a bottleneck cartridge.

For this bison removal project, only rifles chambered for bottlenecked cartridges with a bullet caliber of .30cal or larger, combined with a non-lead bullet of 165 grains or heavier will be approved.
Ok, in that case it would be my Ruger #1 in 450/400 NE. If it's adequate for elephant surely it will do for a puny little American Bison.

I guess the morons who wrote those regs are as ignorant of history as our politicians.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts

For this bison removal project, only rifles chambered for bottlenecked cartridges with a bullet caliber of .30cal or larger, combined with a non-lead bullet of 165 grains or heavier will be approved.
Ah then I have the gun... Ruger M77 338 win mag. I don't have pack mules but I do have a black lab that would eat all the bison in a few hours.😋
ruger 338.jpg
😋

·
Banned
Couple wall hangers
9,745 Posts
Yes I do.
Application period is 3-4 May.
If you read farther into the articles you'll see that each 'skilled volunteer' is allowed to bring as many as 3-5 helpers, that's how you get the carcasses out. Not real clear how much meat you get to keep, no more than one carcass per team is what I could gather. But for the cost of a $65 background check, it's too good to pass up.

Savage 308 is what I'll bring, they require non lead bullets, so I hope something is available in about the 180gn range.

·
Premium Member
19,006 Posts

Ya but who the heck reads the fine print!:( Now i know for sure i'm not going. They are taking all the fun out of the hunt!

·
GUNZILLA
7,189 Posts

I guess a 30-06 is in order loaded with a 220 grain bullet.

·
Registered
17,329 Posts
each 'skilled volunteer' is allowed to bring as many as 3-5 helpers, that's how you get the carcasses out.
Exactly. On up this thread there is mention of pack mules. In the FAQs for this little culling operation, one of the questions is CAN I BRING PACK HORSES, and the answer is no. You also can't bring vehicles. You walk in, you shoot it, and you pack it out on your back.

And non lead bullets, because California insanity has made it to Arizona.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts