The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I would use my 444 Marlin with Buffalo Bore ammo and I would get my wife to pack it out. I am sure she could to that easily while I sat back and watched her. I think she has forgiven me for telling the medical folks the other day she was trying to commit suiced and slashed her wrist when she had accidentally sliced herself. But I am sure she would volunteer for that. You know these oriental women are really quite hardy.

·
Banned
Couple wall hangers
9,745 Posts
Exactly. On up this thread there is mention of pack mules. In the FAQs for this little culling operation, one of the questions is CAN I BRING PACK HORSES, and the answer is no. You also can't bring vehicles. You walk in, you shoot it, and you pack it out on your back.

And non lead bullets, because California insanity has made it to Arizona.
Well, non lead bullets because it's a National Park program, and they'll be parcelling out the meat to Indian tribes and whoever else.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Exactly. On up this thread there is mention of pack mules. In the FAQs for this little culling operation, one of the questions is CAN I BRING PACK HORSES, and the answer is no. You also can't bring vehicles. You walk in, you shoot it, and you pack it out on your back.

And non lead bullets, because California insanity has made it to Arizona.
No pack horses? I suspect there won't be a whole lot of folks out there that want to haul hundreds of pounds of meat and hide. Only the

Reactions: joe45c

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Well, non lead bullets because it's a National Park program, and they'll be parcelling out the meat to Indian tribes and whoever else.
Let the Indians get their own buffalo then.

Why would anyone come down to AZ, Pay for travel, expenses of the hunt and then pack out on their back meat for the res. Sorry, but let the Indians do their own hunt if the meat goes to them anyway.

·
Premium Member
13,689 Posts
The Thoroughfare in Wyoming and when they cull the buffalo and elk in Teton is the same way, The Thoroughfare is a wilderness area and Teton is a NP, no vehicles allowed. Horses, mules or pack it out on foot. At least they allow horses, I can't understand differentiating between horses and mules. Must be another of those governmental genius things....oh wait, I forgot I can't use those two words in the same paragraph. Government morons....there, got it right.

No meat? I wouldn't be going.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I would use my 444 Marlin with Buffalo Bore ammo and I would get my wife to pack it out. I am sure she could to that easily while I sat back and watched her. I think she has forgiven me for telling the medical folks the other day she was trying to commit suiced and slashed her wrist when she had accidentally sliced herself. But I am sure she would volunteer for that. You know these oriental women are really quite hardy.
The 444 Marlin is not a bottleneck cartridge, is it?

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I'd use my .375 H&H if I was capable of using it. I'm not capable anymore since shoulder replacement. They can let the ****** have the Buffalo, I'll bet they'd be using some kind of assistance in the form of horses or mules. They always get special treatment when it comes to hunting & fishing.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Hears a link, it looks as though they can run them into a corral for you. :rolleyes:

ttps://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/grand-canyon-np-seeks-skilled-hunters-to-reduce-bison-population-inside-the-pa

And for your efforts to supply the food kitchen you will receive this patch with a arrow head on it.

patch.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,006 Posts
Hears a link, it looks as though they can run them into a corral for you. :rolleyes:

ttps://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/grand-canyon-np-seeks-skilled-hunters-to-reduce-bison-population-inside-the-pa

And for your efforts to supply the food kitchen you will receive this patch with a arrow head on it.

View attachment 250902
OIP.jpg
I think i'd rather have one of theses.:)

·
Super Moderator
28,309 Posts

View attachment 250902
So just like fishing in a barrel....

·
Registered
17,329 Posts
When I first heard of it, I immediately flashbacked to BLESS THE BEASTS AND THE CHILDREN.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
7,138 Posts
When I got the invitation from AZ Game & Fish, I considered it seriously... for about 2 minutes. According to the notice, you get to keep one carcass for yourself, but the thought of having to haul it out on foot isn't appealing, and I don't understand the restrictions at all. When I was hunting elk in the national forest a few miles from the Grand Canyon, I was allowed to use my quad to fetch the meat, if I'd managed to score. It makes no sense, especially knowing that the two times I've eaten Bison, I didn't even like it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The only gun I got that would do the job (I think) would be my H&H 300 mag and although I'd love to eat me some buffalo, I can't even imagine how long it would take to field dress and haul the meat out. Don't think my knees would be up to the challenge

·
Premium Member
19,006 Posts
When I got the invitation from AZ Game & Fish, I considered it seriously... for about 2 minutes. According to the notice, you get to keep one carcass for yourself, but the thought of having to haul it out on foot isn't appealing, and I don't understand the restrictions at all.
Maybe they are also trying to thin out the human population too. Figuring hauling out something that heavy is a heart attack waiting to happen!o_O

·
TFF Chaplain
20,597 Posts
Bow and arrow, just like the ** did.
The software on this forum just cracks me up sometimes!!

and I don't understand the restrictions at all
They are trying to talk out of two sides of their mouths. They have a job to do...cull the buffalo before they kill themselves off through overpopulation. On the other hand they think they need to stay politically correct so the tree huggers/PETA types don't explode their heads. Net result is they are going out of their way to make something that needs to be done into an impossible task.

I see that Barnes makes a line of lead free bullets, but over here they are expensive--just shy of £1 per bullet (over a dollar a bullet).

21 - 40 of 64 Posts