The Firearms Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Arizona Game and Fish Commission and the National Park Service is accepting applications for "skilled volunteers" to reduce the size of the buffalo herd in the Grand Canyon National Park, according to this website.
Grand Canyon NP seeks 'skilled' hunters to reduce bison population inside the park (msn.com)
Was wondering if anyone on this forum was 1. Aware of this and 2. Interested in applying 3. If you were to volunteer, what cartridge/gun combination you would use.
Why not just move some 2 other locations dang it

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
The software on this forum just cracks me up sometimes!!

They are trying to talk out of two sides of their mouths. They have a job to do...cull the buffalo before they kill themselves off through overpopulation. On the other hand they think they need to stay politically correct so the tree huggers/PETA types don't explode their heads. Net result is they are going out of their way to make something that needs to be done into an impossible task.

I see that Barnes makes a line of lead free bullets, but over here they are expensive--just shy of £1 per bullet (over a dollar a bullet).
BE, over here in the states Barnes bullets are running around $1.00 a bullet....IF you can find them. I've been looking for some Barnes TTSX bullets for my .223 Remington for some time. Always backordered or unavailable. I have plenty of them for my other calibers, just no .224's.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
BE, over here in the states Barnes bullets are running around $1.00 a bullet....IF you can find them. I've been looking for some Barnes TTSX bullets for my .223 Remington for some time. Always backordered or unavailable. I have plenty of them for my other calibers, just no .224's.
They are expensive but accurate bullets. I too want some in .224.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

·
Banned
Couple wall hangers
9,745 Posts
Are you going to hold out until you see the white buffalo?
Saw a real pretty blond one in New Mexico(yes I'm talking buffalo).

How much is the head mount going to cost ? :eek:

View attachment 251121
I Don't know, but I'll be happy to let you have it.

If you need help packing out, let me know ...
I will.

They are expensive but accurate bullets. I too want some in .224.
Yep, if I get another step closer to selection, first thing will be to order some Remington HTP with the Barnes bullet, and hope they arrive in time.

·
Banned
Couple wall hangers
9,745 Posts
jbmid1
If you do get to go, remember to take pictures or it didn't happen.:p
Did you hear about this before reading it on this forum?
I do plan on getting pictures. And I did hear about it shortly before it was mentioned on the forum. I expected to see more interest, as stated by the Meateater. com," The Meateater crew and hunters across the nation appreciate seeing the National Park Service continue to employ ethical public hunting as the proper tool for wildlife management.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Around 45,000 people have volunteered to kill bison roaming near the Grand Canyon.

The National Park Service put out a nationwide call for applications last week, saying the bison must be killed because they are using too many natural resources near the canyon’s North Rim.

Only 12 people will selected by NPS to kill the animals. The plan, approved back in 2017, seeks to cull the herd from 600 bison to 200.

Wow! this reads from from 600 to down to 200, 12 hunters are going to kill a Bison (maybe)
388 bison are going to be transplanted somewhere else. I cant imagine a hunter packing out more than a few Bison.
This is typical F&G nonsense, and somehow it will turn into a debacle like the depredation hunt of elk in my area a few years ago where 12 hunters got to shoot a cow elk only, All the cows were pregnant. Way to go F&G ..... Idiots

41 - 60 of 64 Posts