Dismiss Notice

Please be sure to post images when you're asking what the value of your firearm(s) is. We find this to be a necessary tool when determining a value. 

Anyone Knows Anything About This Type of Shotgun?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Mauro, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Mauro

Mauro New Member

Hi there,

My family in argentina inherited this gun and has no idea of the year or brand. They said they can't see any names or number on it. Could you share any information relevant please?
    If you can advise in where about on the gun we should look for marks that could help too.

Many thanks in advance.

Mauro IMG-20180416-WA0035.jpg IMG-20180416-WA0026.jpg IMG-20180416-WA0029.jpg IMG-20180416-WA0032.jpg IMG-20180416-WA0027.jpg

2. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Pull off the forearm and remove the barrels from the action and see if there is any proof marks on the barrel flats or frame.

I can't determine if it's of newer manufacture or is older and has been re-blued and the wood perhaps re-finished. I think the latter.

Kvasir and Mauro like this.

3. Mauro

Mauro New Member

It belonged to my great great grandfather and my great grandma passed it on after looking after it for the last half century. No doubt it isn't of newer manofacture.

Any idea of the decade for that style?

Unfortunately I'm not in Argentina to unassembly it but will pass on your suggestion. Thanks.

4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

This is not a fast and firm fact, but dog ear shotguns were popular prior to WWI, After 1920 hammerless shotguns were in vogue . so if I had to guess at an era, I would guess early 20th century.

Mauro likes this.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

There appears to be something stamped in the rib in that second picture.

Mauro likes this.
  6. Mauro

Mauro New Member

Thanks, will try to get a better photo of that.

7. Goody

Goody Member

Looks a lot like my Rossi's. The forearm is different and the length of the lower tang is greater.

Mauro likes this.
  8. Old Guns

Old Guns Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Old or new? Even with these fairly good pictures there is not enough to answer the question. The forend looks wavy and poorly shaped and one could even ask if the metal on the forend is correct for the gun as the color of the metal is different. The stock fits great and shows zero use and no signs of refinishing. Most refinished stocks will have spots from old dents or stains still showing. This one is too perfect. The same for the metal. Perfect blue with no wear. No pitting showing under the blue. Crisp edges. We need pictures of the under side of the barrels where the sit on the frame and pictures of the flat part of the frame where the barrels fit. Those spots should have some sort of marking to indicate maker and country of origin and maybe age.

Mauro likes this.
  9. Mauro

Mauro New Member

Thanks, I'm working on convincing my mother to take the barrel off. Not an easy task through whataspp from 5,000 miles away.

The story is that "the grandpa" used it for hunting.

I'm also waiting for photos of a revolver.

Many thanks you all for your input!

10. Mauro

Mauro New Member

Ok, finally better photos with many details.

Any idea of year and a possible price?

IMG-20180417-WA0037.jpg IMG-20180417-WA0039.jpg IMG-20180417-WA0040.jpg IMG-20180417-WA0043.jpg IMG-20180417-WA0042.jpg IMG-20180417-WA0046.jpg

11. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

It was reblued a long time ago.

Mauro likes this.
  12. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Doesn't look that old to me. Barrels look modern. It has serial numbers. Lots of Proof Marks. The stocks look like hardwood. I'll let the experts guess at the age.

Mauro - that is a very nice shotgun. It has been cared for. I would offer a suggestion NOT to store it in the case shown, but rather to clean it, oil it well - the metal and not the wood, and store it in a dry place.

carver and Mauro like this.
  13. Mauro

Mauro New Member

Many thanks. Any idea of aproximate value?

I'll open a new post with a colt revolver also to try to get an aproximate value. Many thabks again to everyone

carver likes this.
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

"T. C. Rassette and Co." ??

Obviously Belgian. They would put a name similar to a famous company on their guns, so folks would buy them. Like Collt or Smith and Weston. Wonder who "Rassette and Co." might supposed to be?

carver likes this.
  15. Mauro

Mauro New Member

I googled it and found L.C. Rassetti. A Carlos Rassetti, the other side I think says Buenos Aires. I'm surprised it says "Made in Belgium" in Spanish.

I wonder if they could be made with imported parts assembled in Argentina.

I don't know anything about all the hallmarks

carver and Kweeksdraw like this.