The Firearms Forum banner

261 - 280 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Oooo....that's ugly!!! PPC, Pindell/Palmisano? Do I have that right? They were sure hot for a few years around here. Don't hear much about them anymore.
Yes, you are correct about the cartridge name.

The 6mm PPC is still the cartridge of choice for the Light and Heavy class in IBS and NBRSA for the 100 yard events. There is also a large number of competitors that use it in the 200 yard events. The 6mm BR is the cartridge of choice for the 300 yard events do to a 200 FPS higher velocity.

The 6mm PPC USA is a no turn neck, meaning the necks are not turned on a lathe for a consistent neck thickness. The 6mmPPC USA is a request by both Sako and Norma for a commercial chamber and case dimensions. Custom 6mmPPC used by benchrest competitors use a tight neck chamber that requires the cartridge case neck OD to be .260”- .261” with the rifles chamber neck section to be .262”-.263”. The 6mmPPC USA factory cartridge neck is .267” with the chamber neck section dimensions being .270”-.271” Norma is the only company that offer the 6mmPPC USA cartridge as a factory load or ready to handload cases. Most benchrest competitors prefer the Lapua made 220 Russian cartridge case to make into 6mmPPC, which will require both a turned case neck and a fire form. If Lapua cases are not available they will begrudgingly use the Norma cases which are a little softer brass alloy then the Lapua which means less firings of the cartridge case. Also the primer pockets will blow out sooner because the 6mmPPC really excels when the cartridge is pushed to maximum powder chargers.

The powder of choice is N-133, H322, A- LT-32, IMR 8208XBR, and Benchmark. The primers used are either CCI BR-4, Federal 205M, and Remington 7-1/2.

Barrel lengths are usually 21-1/2” for both Light and Heavy Varmint, and rifling twist is 1:14. Most competitors use a 60-62 grain flat base bullet produced by many of small business bullet makers with some exclusively only making bullets for BR. Bart’s, Barns, and Burger are just a few of them.

I do not compete in BR. It is just to expensive to get into. Usually one has to spend $5,000-$7,000 to acquire the rifle and equipment to be competitive on a national level. I do how ever follow what is going on with that particular firearms sport. It is the ultimate in firearms accuracy that has my interest.

And as usual I went total OCD in what could had been a simple reply.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
Quite alright, I enjoyed it. 220 Russian, don't hear that often either...at least in the circles I run in. It too used to be fairly popular locally.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
The 220 Russian/5.7x39mm was originally designed for a competition called Running Animal. This is a sport that would have competitors shooting at a moose, deer or boar sized target that was traversed from right to left and visa vera on a pulley system. The scoring rings on the target are not visible from the competitors firing line distances which was either 50 or 100 yards. This requires the competitors to know in advance where the scoring rings are in order to achieve a competitive score. The target animals would be presented briefly, so the shot placment time was to mimic that of hunting a running animal such as what a hunter would encounter in a real hunting situation.

Back in the late 1980’s when I competed in IBO archery, some events had a stage that had a running deer much like Running Animal, although those targets were a urethane foam representation of a deer so the arrows would stick into the target for easier scoring. Many a competitors game fell apart at the stage. It is very challenging requiring to lead the moving target much like trap shooting.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Not exactly reloading but it at least got my mind off this election mess . A friend has gotten into reloading awhile back and had 50 rounds of 30-06 brass he shoots in his Garand that was needing annealed and was nervous about doing it for first time . He brought it over .The temp was 54' and felt nice on our front porch . So my wife made me and him some decaf coffee and her hot coco and I fired up my torch and the cordless drill and off we went .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ok so I loaded 5 .45 acp rounds late last week. On Saturday I went to test those 5. Range clear, clip loaded, aim fire--- poof of black smoke! Reject clip. Hold firearm down range. Wait 30 seconds. Begin to inspect. Open slide can see bullet lodged in barrel. Used once fired brass. Berry's bullets 185gr acp hollow base round nose max. Velocity 1250. 5.4 gr of bullseye. No. 2 1/2 large orimer pistol primers. The general "feel" of the crimp is similar to my 9mm I've load with no shooting problems.
My question is what did I do incorrectly or was this just a bad orimer and continue to test remaining 4 test loads?

Thank you for advise in advance.

·
Super Moderator
40,676 Posts
5.4 grains of Bullseye should push a 185 grain bullet only about 850 FPS instead of the stated 1250, but that is beside the point. Remove the stuck bullet and try another round, at least that is what I would do. What is a orimer pistol primer?

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Got several of my handguns out and shot them past few days . Put the brass in the tumbler and then took a few hitches at the reloading bench but got them knocked out finally about 1 hour ago . 20+ rounds ,45 Colt , 30+ 44 Mag , 30+ 45 APC . I know my neighbors around me and shoot most time in middle of the day . Go shoot a bit come inside drink some coffee , watch TV for awhile then go back and shoot some more .

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
After UPS left my package on the back bumper of my son's pick up truck instead of walking 20 feet and putting on the porch I opened up the box and had 200 pieces of 30 Carbine brass I had ordered to reload . Sat down and did 100 rounds . Used H110 and 110GR RN . I couldn't do the other 100 pieces cause I thought I had 3 100ct boxes of small rifle primers but was wrong and had 1 box the other 2 were boxes of small pistol primers that had got mixed in the stack somehow . Good news is I got more SPPs . 30 Carbine is only round I need SRPs for .All is good cause I got plenty of 30 Carbine already loaded up and will wait till the prices go back down before buying more SRPs . I was just wanting to stock up a bit for the zombie apocalypse !!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
27,417 Posts
No reloading today. Cast some lead ingots though.

Reactions: soonerfan66

·
Administrator
12,321 Posts
Just setup the dies for 38Spc 158gr LSWC on the Dillon 550 my brother gave me. I have over 1000 primed cases a guy gave me. I set the first die high so it would not deprime.

Now to set the powder charge bar to 3.6gr W231 for target rounds.

Firing from GP100 4" and S&W 686 6" Custom.

·
Super Moderator
40,676 Posts
I got you, that is pretty much what I did on those 38's you sent me a while back, but I just totally removed the die from the first position in the tool head. I do the same thing with all of the .223s that I do since I deprime and resize them before I do my wet tumbling. The only difference is that I do prime them as I go.

·
Administrator
12,321 Posts
Just setup the dies for 38Spc 158gr LSWC on the Dillon 550 my brother gave me. I have over 1000 primed cases a guy gave me. I set the first die high so it would not deprime.

Now to set the powder charge bar to 3.6gr W231 for target rounds.

Firing from GP100 4" and S&W 686 6" Custom.
Adjusted powder charge. It is throwing pretty consistent 3.6 gr.

Ill have to admit though, I am a little nervous getting back on the progressive press. I had enough ammo loaded that I have not used the 550 in years. That's a very long story I will not get into now. I have been using single stage for my rifle loading. Getting my rhythm back is a little slow.

But, it is feeling good that every time I pull that handle a complete round drops into the ammo tray. 200 rounds done.

·
TFF Chaplain
20,032 Posts
But, it is feeling good that every time I pull that handle a complete round drops into the ammo tray. 200 rounds done.
It's good you're keeping up skills. Just stay vigilant on the process; check each powder charge visually.

Reactions: tuckerd1
261 - 280 of 323 Posts