Anyone reloading today?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by SeeMor Guns, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Larry Isaacs

Larry Isaacs Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Received my new LEE APPS press today. The unit is very small about the same size as an RCBS Partner press.
    The action is very smooth and the build quality is good. The breech lock bushings are very good with a tight lock-up.
    Ran a few hundred cases through .556 and once everything was adjusted the process was very fast. The case holder only holds 7 cases but feeds very smoothly. Got in some practice on how to remove stuck cases, I made a tool to help with that.
    Ran 300 cases(size/deprime) in about 45 mins.
    I will try to swage the primer cup tomorrow.
    All in All for $75.00 it is a good press, if you process a large number of cases it will work very well. I have a large number of 9MM, 45ACP, and 223/556 to process about three to four times a year.

Larry

2. accident

accident Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just taking a break from processing 200rds .223/5.56 range brass. I'm still hand reaming the primer pockets. Maybe one day I'll have a case prep tool.

3. Larry Isaacs

The LEE APPS has a case prep system, I will try it out today or tomorrow and report back. I am sure it will be faster than the way I was reworking the cases.
    Larry

4. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Nope. Promised a friend some 45 cal., 255 gr. softer bullets for loading over BP. Got them done and my cannelure tool was setting on the front porch....soooo....been putting cannelure's on a bunch of revolver bullets I swaged. Probably load and try them tomorrow.

5. SeeMor Guns

SeeMor Guns Well-Known Member

I was torn between ordering the APP or getting the stuff to convert my Loadmaster from 45acp to 9mm. I went the Loadmaster route.I may regret the decision. Time will tell.

Please, keep us up to date on the APP press as you use it more.

accident and BlackEagle like this.
  6. Bigdog357

Bigdog357 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just ordered 1000 ea of 9mm and 223 bullets, 450 bushmaster dies and several Lee crimp dies. Guess I should got off my rear and looked, I ordered a 30-30 crimp die and I already have one :( oh well Christmas giveaway will be here before you know it.

7. accident

Looks like you'll soon have plenty to keep you busy. I have always used my Lyman seating die to crimp my 30-30's. I would however like to have a Lee FCD for it though so I could crimp with a separate die in my turret press.

shootbrownelk likes this.
  8. Krong of Belsnarf

Krong of Belsnarf Well-Known Member

If you can, unscrew the reamer out of the handle and chuck it in a hand drill.

9. SLICE

SLICE Well-Known Member

i should load the 1000 .38spl today, but i need to clean
    guns and see if we're getting any weather from the hurricane
    (name i can't pronounce ) Saturday/ Sunday

sharps4590 and joe45c like this.
  10. accident

Just turned on the new to me a/c window unit on in the shop to get it cool. I found an excellent load for my .257Rob using Barnes TTSX bullets yesterday at the range. I plan to load the remaining bullets (only about 38 ttsx bullets left out of 50) with that charge and COAL.

11. Larry Isaacs

It has been a busy month for me as far as reloading. After sorting through almost 1400 pieces of range brass, the net result was 1325 pieces of reloadable 223/556 brass. The range harvesting has been a bit slim, but I have netted a large number of Blackout cases along with 308, 30-30, and 22-250. This does not account for the high number of 9MM,45 ACP, and 38/357.
    The 223 cases were processed on the LEE APS press, sized, deprimed then using the LEE pocket swage tool all cases were processed in a quick manner.
    I will make an inventory soon of the cases I do not load and post them on the forum.
    I won't be reloading for about two weeks due to my visit here at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, but upon my return, I will be hard at it again.

Larry

12. gdmoody

gdmoody Full Time Moderator Moderator Supporting Member

I hope all is well!

I loaded 20 rounds of .32 yesterday afternoon. Joe (accident) sent me some 75 grain lead bullets that were giving him trouble, to see if I had any problem with them. I got the FCD for .32 yesterday so had to see how it worked. I did have the bulge problem around the top but came to the conclusion that it was the normal bulge using the lead .0001/2 oversized bullets. Haven't shot them yet but did the plunk test in my Beretta Tomcat and all plunked.

13. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Just did some case prep on 50 .25-20 cases.

14. howlnmad

howlnmad Old Guy Doing Things Moderator Supporting Member

I took a photo of my reloading mess.

15. Larry Isaacs

well, I am waiting.

Larry

shootbrownelk likes this.