ANYONE REMEMBER THIS? IT WAS 1987! ( 1 2 )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ruffitt, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffitt

ruffitt *TFF Admin Staff* In Heaven Now

NeoDebo
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/11/01 10:07:24 pm)
    | Edit | Del All ANYONE REMEMBER THIS? IT WAS 1987!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I remember very well Lt. Col. North's testimony at the Iran-Contra hearings. I remember seeing this on TV myself:

At a UNC lecture the other day they played an old video of Lt. Col. Oliver North testifying at the Iran-Contra hearings during the Reagan Administration.

There was Ollie in front of God and country getting the third degree. But what he said was stunning!

He was being drilled by some senator; "Did you not recently spend close to $60,000 for a home security system?"

Ollie replied, "Yes I did sir."

The senator continued, trying to get a laugh out of the audience, "Isn't this just a little excessive?"

'No sir,' continued Ollie.

"No? And why not?" the senator asked.

"Because the lives of my family and I were threatened sir."

"Threatened? By whom?" the senator questioned.

"By a terrorist, sir." Ollie answered.

"Terrorist? What terrorist could possibly scare you that much?"

"His name is Osama bin Laden sir." Ollie replied.

At this point the senator tried to repeat the name, but couldn't pronounce it, which most people back then probably couldn't. A couple of people laughed at the attempt.

Then the senator continued. "Why are you so afraid of this man?" the senator asked.

"Because sir, he is the most evil person alive that I know of," Ollie answered.

"And what do you recommend we do about him?" asked the senator.

"Well, sir, if it were up to me, I would recommend that an assassin team be formed to eliminate him and his men from the face of the earth."

The senator disagreed with this approach and that was all that was shown of the clip.

walrus1432
    (11/11/01 10:23:28 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: ANYONE REMEMBER THIS? IT WAS 1987!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, I was only 5 at the time so my only real memories are of people talking about the Iran-Contra hearings...probably my dad-and I don't even remember what he was saying (sorry!)
    But right now it seems a case of 20-20 hindsight...
    We should have done this and that, and Osama SHOULD have been assasinated...I remember hearing Bin Laden's name growing up, but I never quite believed how evil he actually was/is. Lt. Col. North knew...I wish we listened then...

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/11/01 10:34:15 pm)
    I remember the President of the ORPA had a button at the time with Ollies picture on it, it said "Ollie took the Hill!" and it had a string that when you pulled it it played "The Marine Hymn..."

Kinda wish I had one, now, too...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/11/01 10:34:58 pm)
    I also believe that a girl named Annie, took a shot at a cigarette in anothers mouth.....who also struck terror world wide. To bad her expertise with rimfire was just that.
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

gpostal
    (11/11/01 10:37:37 pm)
    lets see .who was president in 1987???????????????????

southernfreedom
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/11/01 10:50:59 pm)
    Well, I do remember his testimony but I had forgotton the name OBL.
    Wow! North knew what he was talking about. I wish Reagan had ordered
    OBL's assasination but the law forbid it. Thanks for jogging my memories.

polishshooter
    (11/11/01 10:55:03 pm)
    A good one Dan, a good one...Maybe the best of that century...

Brought down the Wall? Along with the fall of the "Evil Empire?"

Brought America back from the 'Malaise" of Mr. Peanuthead?

Built the US Military BACK into being #1 in the World, again?

And STRUCK BACK effectively and hard when Terrorists killed US Soldiers?

Started the economic revival that your buddy Klinton lucked into, and screwed up, so GW has to fix it, AGAIN.

You know, the guy who made you Proud to be an American AGAIN, even if you won't admit it?

Ring a bell???
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

walrus1432
    (11/11/01 11:21:11 pm)
    bulls-eye,dad

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/12/01 2:49:44 am)
    | Edit | Del ?
    Is that true?

southernfreedom
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/12/01 7:46:54 am)
    | Edit | Del Re: ?
    Yep, Reagan was the greatest president of the 20th
    century,
    maybe in the history of our country. That may be hard for some
    of our Democrat friends to believe but the facts posted above
    by polishshooter do speak for themselves. I don't know how any
    gunowner could be a strong Democrat. Well.........unless they bought
    into class envy??

gpostal
    (11/12/01 10:35:22 am)
    no polishshooter and polishooter-et ,my point went over your head ,it was that Clinton wasn't the only president that had a opportunity to do something about bin-laden ,but if he would have it probably would have resulted into a similar war we are in now ,but then it wouldn't have been backed like it is today ,and he would have been accused of another "wag the dog"

face it no president could have done anything against bin-laden ,not Clinton, not bush sr, not even Reagan ,UNTIL he brought his terrorism to American soil

we smacked Libya's hand, look at what they did ,did we go to war when we lost 240 marines ?? no

key phrase BROUGHT IT TO AMERICAN SOIL ,terrorist have been highjacking planes and murdering Americans for over forty years not one president could have possible have done what bush is doing now and have the support of the American people

i miss that reagan cheese

polishshooter
    (11/12/01 6:31:45 pm)
    Hey Dan, I can send that velveeta you bought me last week back to you for the memories...

Reagan didn't go to war over the 240 marines?

What do you call those fire missions to from the New Jersey on Hezbollah positions?

The raids into the Bekaa? How many Marine snipers had kills?

We answered for them, but didn't take them completely out, that's all..

gpostal
    (11/12/01 7:02:36 pm)
    no polish i miss the reall reagan cheese ,velveeta don't come close

polishshooter
    (11/12/01 8:44:58 pm)
    Dan, I get your point, it's a good one. It's like Roosevelt chomping at the bit to get us into WWII even though he campaigned on keeping us out. The Reuben James and many other incidents "Weren't enough," and he worried that even the expected Japanese attack on the Phillipines wouldn't convince the people.

The Japs bombing Pearl, while bad, was a blessing for him, and by extension, for the entire US if you consider it in the big picture.

Dufus Hitler declaring war on US on the 8th was a MIRACLE for FDR..he STILL didn't have enough for us to declare war on Germany on the 7th...

BUT you miss MY point...ANY candidate that runs on isolationism, or by belittling the Armed Forces, or Foreign Affairs, like Jimmy Carter, or Bill Clinton, ENCOURAGES this type of crap, no less than when the FIRST great Democrat Thomas Jefferson disbanded the US FLEET as being "confrontational" and instead built the stupid little GUNBOATS. THAT may have directly led to the War of 1812, our FIRST Vietnam!!!!

And it wasn't just Clinton and his assinine "It's the economy stupid" catch phrase, it was all the STUPID Americans who BELIEVED it and voted the lying, cheating , thieving, B@st@rd IN!

And gave us "Gays in the Military" as his first act as CinC...DO you think THAT gained any respect in the Islamic world?

Now there, I feel better...

Sorry...but I think it's good therapy to get the blood vessels throbbing in the temples occasionally....

shooter22
    (11/12/01 11:02:46 pm)
    In times past, would not openly ordering the assassination of another head of a regime be a major step of political suicide? It seems like it takes extremes to get our butt to say, "oh, ok, let's take this guy out" and "we don't care who it pisses off!" What is worse is that it also takes these extremes to get any of our allies to agree with us. Economies have an effect of the amount of willingness we are to fight our battles. There are time like now that you say, "screw the economy, this fellow needs deleted from life." We will figure out what to do after it is taken care of.

I don't think that any of the previous 4 presidents had a situation where they had the opportunity and backing of Europe and most of the other nations.

shooter22

polishshooter
    (11/12/01 11:23:08 pm)
    Not really shooter, in fact assasination has pretty much always been an "accepted" form of "Foriegn Affairs" since biblical times.

It has only been since the 70s that it was made illegal by an act of congress for the US to do it.

YES it is a dangerous policy to follow, and we were not always good at it. When Kennedy had the President of Vietnam, Diem, killed it definitely did NOT accomplish what was intended, and the regime that replaced him, while more openly pro US, it was not very effective at leading South Vietnam, and was corrupt from the top down.

The Soviets and their allies practiced it pretty well during the cold war, but not necessarily against heads of state, usually dissidents or defectors abroad.

It ain't pretty, and it can backfire, especially if you get caught, and then it gets used on you in retaliation, but it is just another tool that we need to have available, just in case.

Unilaterally swearing we would not do it again was the wrong thing to do.

Arguably, if some country would have assasinated Adolf in 38 or 39, wouldn't about 200 Million+ people who died in WWII think it was a good trade?

shooter22
    (11/12/01 11:50:33 pm)
    That is kinda what I had in mind. I meant that with the law being what it was, it would have been stupid politically. And There have'nt been the events that have brought about the thoughts that it is time to do away with this stupid law.

shooter22

gpostal
    (11/13/01 10:26:45 am)
    polish I was wondering

which part hurt and caused the vain to pop out ,agreeing or dis agreeing

/
    )))
    \

polishshooter
    (11/13/01 11:03:36 am)
    The preaching...or was it the NEED to...

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/13/01 11:42:41 am)
    | Edit | Del pic
    Who is that a picture of Shooter22?

shooter22
    (11/13/01 9:08:14 pm)
    | Edit | Del Re: pic
    Zombie, that is my dream girl. I'd probably die if I ever met her.

shooter22

gpostal
    (11/13/01 9:17:40 pm)
    she wants me

polishshooter
    (11/13/01 9:34:24 pm)
    Howcumz I can't see the picture shooter, all I get is the little box with the x in it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.