The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checked w. Blazer, these cartridges were made in 2010 & in the magazine of an H&K USP for a couple of years. The gun was kept in my dresser drawer, no extremes in temperature, no moisture other than the humid summers here in MN, could it be from the pressure on them by being in a magazine for so long. Bought the box of cartridges and loaded the magazines. When I recently pulled the rounds to check them, they were like leakey batteries, wiped most of the corrosion off to see what was going on. Any ideas what happened to them? https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lcxs7sd3uunsw3g/x97WqHST9N

·
Registered
18,041 Posts
i'dnot use them.

if you reload pull the projectiles, dump the poder and deactivate the primer and junk the cases.

some of those cases look compromised at the mouth.

wasn't the pressure on them...

perhaps a solvent the gun was cleaned with?

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Sure, I've seen cases such as that. Your cartridges were in proximity to some type of vapor that reacted with the metal. It could have been some type of cosmetic, bug spray, moth balls, solid deodorant ( of the type used in rooms and such ), it could have caused by what ever chemical was used to finish your dresser. Happened to me, Lived in a house with limited space. Kept my ammo on the top shelf of a wall locker , the rest of the shelves were used for cleaning supplies. The brass looked like they were used in germ warfare Some I was able to save about half I had to throw away because the corrosion had eaten into the case. Just like those pictured. My cases were brass, the Blazer aluminum are probable even more susceptible to outside influences, Happens, not the work of the Devil or a Warlock. In my case, no one to blame but me, in your case, an accident, you need to do some detective work.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Those cases are pitted way too bad to risk firing them. I see corrosion pits that are nearly as deep as the case wall is thick.

Like RJay posted, it was caused by some chemical in the vicinity of where they were stored. Do you use an aerosol gun scrubber that might have some ammonia?

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
id shoot em.

They look like they got a little wet. Cases are non reloadable aluminum and sometimes split upon firing even if they are right out of the box new. The firearms is designed to contain a minor case failure safely and it wont impede function. Those will probably split at the mouth upon firing, but they will fire just fine.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Josh,
If you look at the round farthest on the right, it already looks like the case has split open right along the corrosion line.
If the case wall has been breeched, the powder inside might be contaminated and cause a misfire or squib.

Al-case Blazer isn't worth the time and hassle of possibly damaging a perfectly good pistol by firing it when the ammo is in good shape, much less if they're half rotted away like this stuff.
Not one of CCIs better ideas...but they still keep making the ****.

·
Registered
18,207 Posts
I saw that. But Id still shoot it. If it squibbed. Id punch the stuck round out.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm with Josh I'd shoot em. I have bulk 8mm turkish ammo that unfired have split necks and I shoot them. Not one problem other than a big gash in the fired case.

Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Josh,
If you look at the round farthest on the right, it already looks like the case has split open right along the corrosion line.
If the case wall has been breeched, the powder inside might be contaminated and cause a misfire or squib.

Al-case Blazer isn't worth the time and hassle of possibly damaging a perfectly good pistol by firing it when the ammo is in good shape, much less if they're half rotted away like this stuff.
Not one of CCIs better ideas...but they still keep making the ****.
i agree with bindernut,,, those cases are in really bad shape,,aluminum is notories for corrosion from alot of sources,, and with that deep and already splitting ,,, I personally wouldnt take the chance of damaging a good gun or myself in trying to fire them,,, have seen the results of people being carted of the range by paramedics trying to fire stuff like that,, but it is up too you,,, just make sure NO ONE is standing close to you !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts