The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my first try using LEE aluminum dies ,,, have always used Lyman or RCBS steel dies,, bought 2 both junk in my opinion (should have known better just from the price i guess)...both sets (diff calibers) have major machineing burrs and faces not flat,, the top is not flat almost .003 offset between right and left halves..the cavities are aligned just blocks dont fit together properly,,,on the first one,, about .002 on second,, sprue cutter bowed almost .002 away from block so it tears the sprue instead of cutting on both blocks... holding them up to the light not even close to being a proper fit,,, and the way they do the locateing pins is really asssnine,, must be having them made in WANG CHOW by mules with the inteligence of retarded rocks,,,(no disrespect ment to the rocks)
have other Lee products but about 20+yrs and have never seen such low quality !!!
at this point will never buy another LEE product !!!
anyone else seen this ?????

·
Registered
17,292 Posts
Been using Lee molds for over 25 years. Never had any problems. Did you lube them? There are three spots on the mold that have to be lubed, otherwise they might not close completely.

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
Another happy Lee user here. I just ordered a 6 cavity mold for .44. I have not had any problems so far.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Been using Lee molds for over 25 years. Never had any problems. Did you lube them? There are three spots on the mold that have to be lubed, otherwise they might not close completely.
lube aint gonna help this junk,, this was straight out of the box brand NEW never been used,, the burrs from (what looks like heavey handed machineing) wont let them close ,,UNUSABLE in my book,, they are going back as soon as the PO opens

·
Premium Member
34,532 Posts
That's what I would do with them if they are defective! The ones I just ordered will be sent back in a heart beat if they are not right.

·
Super Moderator
41,406 Posts
I have also been using Lee molds for years with no problems. I would send them back immediately (as you seem to be doing). Lee equipment are said to be warranted for two years so they should exchange them with no problems. I have sent one item back after something like ten years and they sent me a replacement free of charge.

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
Happy camper here. No problems as yet. Sorry you are having issues but I am sure that Lee will take care of them.

·
Banned
2,751 Posts
All my Bullet molds are Lee. I only have a few, a .401 175gr TC, a .401 175gr Tumble Lube SWC and a .452 200gr SWC. I lube them before each use with synthetic 2 stroke oil and they work perfectly.

The .401 Tumble lube mold is their New design, much improved over the old design.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?167253-New-Lee-Mold-Design

I also have a Lee .401 175gr TC Converted to a Hollow Point by Erik and Hollowpoint Molds. I don't think Erik would waste his time and his reputation if the Lee molds were nothing but junk.

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still waiting for PO to open so can send the one set of dies back to lee,,, spent about 2 1/2 hrs reworking the other set (only because very hard to find and have been waiting sooo long for these) remachined the surfaces and they are now also removeable from the handles like they should have been in the first place !! straightened and resurfaced the sprue plate,,also set them up with locateing pins ala Lyman,,, just finished about 100 bullets came out very nice ,, BUT AFTER HAVING TO REWORK THE JUNK. probably only buy Lyman or RCBS dies from now on,,more money but i KNOW they will work out of the box and being steel will never wearout

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have a several Lee molds, and a Lyman too. I prefer the Lee's, they work just as good without having to cast dozens before getting hot enough.
The Lyman is good, but steel is a PITA until it gets hot enough, especially with large caliber heavies.
I own 9 Lee molds, never had a problem. The .45 225 T.C. has cast several thousands of bullets.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
my first try using LEE aluminum dies ,,, have always used Lyman or RCBS steel dies,, bought 2 both junk in my opinion (should have known better just from the price i guess)...both sets (diff calibers) have major machineing burrs and faces not flat,, the top is not flat almost .003 offset between right and left halves..the cavities are aligned just blocks dont fit together properly,,,on the first one,, about .002 on second,, sprue cutter bowed almost .002 away from block so it tears the sprue instead of cutting on both blocks... holding them up to the light not even close to being a proper fit,,, and the way they do the locateing pins is really asssnine,, must be having them made in WANG CHOW by mules with the inteligence of retarded rocks,,,(no disrespect ment to the rocks)
have other Lee products but about 20+yrs and have never seen such low quality !!!
at this point will never buy another LEE product !!!
anyone else seen this ?????
Thanks for your candid, unbiased report. I think you must have gotten the only two "bad" Lee Bullet Molds (aluminum dies???). I have 5 or 6 Lee bullet molds purchased over a 13 year period. None have had any trouble making good bullets. But then again, I read the instructions and have a little experience casting and working with metal. I've got a Ranch Dog/Lee mold and a 6 cavity Lee .357/125 gr. mold that have produced good bullets right from the box...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a several Lee molds, and a Lyman too. I prefer the Lee's, they work just as good without having to cast dozens before getting hot enough.
The Lyman is good, but steel is a PITA until it gets hot enough, especially with large caliber heavies.
I own 9 Lee molds, never had a problem. The .45 225 T.C. has cast several thousands of bullets.
never had a problem getting steel molds up to temp, just set them on top of the pot and they warm up with the lead , and they hold a more consistant temp, better then aluminum,,, after using prefer the steel,, if u like alum,, go for it,, everyone has a preference,,, i can cast faster with steel,, and have NEVER seen a bad steel mold

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a Lee set arrive and thought i'd been ripped off or sold fake copies they where so bad, but the dealer swapped them for me and paid freight ( which is half the cost where i am , so i'm happy ) and the next set were fine.

Never had issues from Lee before , i think someone had a bad day and some slipped through , it happens i guess , bad it happened at all but buying through reputable dealers helps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I broke a sprue lever on a six cavity Lee mold. One email and three days later a new one was in my mailbox. Go Lee.:)

Many thousands of rounds through my Lee molds. Love them.:D

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your candid, unbiased report. I think you must have gotten the only two "bad" Lee Bullet Molds (aluminum dies???). I have 5 or 6 Lee bullet molds purchased over a 13 year period. None have had any trouble making good bullets. But then again, I read the instructions and have a little experience casting and working with metal. I've got a Ranch Dog/Lee mold and a 6 cavity Lee .357/125 gr. mold that have produced good bullets right from the box...
i have been reloading and casting for OVER 40yrs,,, and have designed molding dies for plastics nylon,and aluminum materials as part of my profession before retireing,, so i know what a bad die looks like,and have made a couple of my own that work great,, just dont have access to machines anymore..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Have also used Lee molds for 25 yrs and never had a problem. Have a couple RCBS molds but don't much like the weight of the mold after a hour or so.
Take care of the molds and they will last a life time.:)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dies?

You mean molds not dies. I have several LEE bullet molds. It took a few lessons but I learned how to cast with them. Now I have no problems at all. Aluminum molds are all about temperature. They don't like to be to cold (wrinkles) and they don't like to be to hot (frosty). Like Goldilocks, they like things just right. To keep the temp just right you need to pace yourself. Develop a cadence or tempo. Once you have the right tempo the bullets will drop like flies with no problems.

I'm guessing you just got some bad ones. I personally have never had any trouble. FYI, I also use Eric's Hollow Point Molds and I love them too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts