The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I’m new to the boards and fairly new to shooting and carrying. Started shooting a few months and waiting on my CHL to come in the mail. I’ve been practicing carrying at home and in my car, and so far appendix carry is what I’ve found to be the most comfortable. I’m confident carrying strong side with one in the chamber, but with a bad back this gets quite uncomfortable after awhile. Carrying appendix with one in the chamber for obvious reasons worries me quite a bit. Even though I know it’s almost impossible for a gun to go off once holstered in a good holster, it’s still just on my mind that a loaded gun is pointing very close to my junk. Do you all have any suggestions to make this a bit safer for piece of mind? Is it ok to put the gun in the holster before putting the holster on or taking it off? I’m hoping maybe over time this fear will pass once I’ve gotten some more experience but just thought I’d see if you all had any tips.

·
Garandaholic
9,413 Posts
Not sure what type of firearm it is...safety or no...but you have a far greater chance of being killed in an accident than you do that firearm going off all by itself.
You have a greater chance of being struck by lightening walking to your car.
There's one-in-a-billlion risk to everything you do. You have to weigh the risks.
You decided to carry for a reason, right?
Most important...be utterly familiar with the SAFE usage of your firearm. Practice, practice, practice. Never get casual with safety, and you'll be fine.

·
Super Moderator
39,009 Posts
I do not "appendix carry" so I can't personally answer your question. I did do a "duckduckgo" search for appendix carry and I offer this link that might answer some of your concerns.
https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/guide-to-appendix-carry/

I do have one of Alien Gear's shapeshift holster systems, of which one of the holsters is appendix carry. When I first got the system I did try the appendix carry holster and found it to be so uncomfortable, that it was totally out of the question, at least for me!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what type of firearm it is...safety or no...but you have a far greater chance of being killed in an accident than you do that firearm going off all by itself.
You have a greater chance of being struck by lightening walking to your car.
There's one-in-a-billlion risk to everything you do. You have to weigh the risks.
You decided to carry for a reason, right?
Most important...be utterly familiar with the SAFE usage of your firearm. Practice, practice, practice. Never get casual with safety, and you'll be fine.
I’ve gone a little gun crazy since after I bought my first, so 3 of them have safeties. I have a full size m&p with a safety, and a shield and p365 both with safeties. Those are the ones I will carry if I do appendix. Gun safety is definitely at the tip of my list. I do a lot of dry firing at home and one thing I really try to focus on when I’m handing it is keeping my finger off the trigger and knowing where it’s pointed

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Fear is a good thing. Rule number 3 comes to mind. Pointing a gun at my groin or femoral artery .......ain’t happening:eek:
A good holster is a absolute must no matter how you carry. Everyone has to make risk assessment decisions based on their skill and priorities. Just remember put a 22 short in your femoral artery you would likely bleed out before much could be done if it happened in the ER parking lot.
Others will have differing opinions and will have sound advice if that’s what your going to do. Have you considered crossdraw?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do not "appendix carry" so I can't personally answer your question. I did do a "duckduckgo" search for appendix carry and I offer this link that might answer some of your concerns.
https://aliengearholsters.com/blog/guide-to-appendix-carry/

I do have one of Alien Gear's shapeshift holster systems, of which one of the holsters is appendix carry. When I first got the system I did try the appendix carry holster and found it to be so uncomfortable, that it was totally out of the question, at least for me!
really? The shape shift was my first holster and I find there appendix carry to be much more comfortable than my tulster holster. But aliens appendix prints so bad. But I love my shape shift, I have 3 different shells for it and that’s what I will

Fear is a good thing. Rule number 3 comes to mind. Pointing a gun at my groin or femoral artery .......ain’t happening:eek:
A good holster is a absolute must no matter how you carry. Everyone has to make risk assessment decisions based on their skill and priorities. Just remember put a 22 short in your femoral artery you would likely bleed out before much could be done if it happened in the ER parking lot.
Others will have differing opinions and will have sound advice if that’s what your going to do. Have you considered crossdraw?
I’m not too familiar with that but I’ll take a look into it.

·
Super Moderator
39,009 Posts
You may be skinny, I am not!:oops::D

I have two shells but I sold one of the pistols and they don't do the "shell swap" with the shapeshift. I carry a Sig P938, and to be honest, I don't have another gun that I want to carry. When anyone asks for holster recommendations , the only company I can recommend is Alien Gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may be skinny, I am not!:oops::D

I have two shells but I sold one of the pistols and they don't do the "shell swap" with the shapeshift. I carry a Sig P938, and to be honest, I don't have another gun that I want to carry. When anyone asks for holster recommendations , the only company I can recommend is Alien Gear.
When I first got it I’ll be honest, I wasn’t too impressed. It just seemed kind of cheap. But after using it a bit and trying others out, it’s very comfortable and does a great job of covering the trigger guard. I have a tulster holster for my p365 which has a tlr6 attached, and I noticed the trigger guard is opened just enough where a piece of string can get in. So alien gear is what I will most likely be using 90% of the time

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Interviewer-What do you EDC
Mike Day-Walther
Interviewer-Do you appendix carry?
Mike Day-I've already been shot in the testicles twice,not looking for a third time...:)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I was always pretty afraid of Appendix but in many ways I've found it to be very comfortable and makes access to my weapon much easier than other methods. It took me carrying a CZ P01, hammer and double action trigger, to get used to it compared to 3-4 O'Clock with my striker fired pistols. I'd never do it with out a good hard kydex holster though. Me loosing a lot of weight helped too.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't appendix carry, my belly laps over too much for that style.
I always leave my firearm in it's holster when I don or doff my weapon. I always figure that the less handling of a loaded firearm reduces the risk of a negligent discharge. Pretty much just leave it in it's holster, except when practicing, loading or unloading it, cleaning it, or putting it in storage. I believe a large number of negligent discharges occur when holstering firearms.

·
Registered
116 Posts
i carry appendix and at 330 pounds it's very comfy for me and i rotate between
3 hand guns mod-2 .45acp / mod-2 9mm sc and SA 911 if by chance one of my firearms
decides do go off i have come to the conclusion that i will have a good 30 seconds to reflect on my life...........so theres that.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If I were to carry appendix, I'd have and use a manual safety on my firearm and secondly, I'd always holster my firearm away from my appendix and insert the holstered firearm into my waistband.

I prefer pocket carry, no safety.

·
Garandaholic
9,413 Posts

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I carry at 2 oclock and a modified cross draw,the main reason to carry AIWB is to protect your weapon in a crowded enviroment,can't see any other reason to put MrHappy in danger.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts