Application Help: How Does This Sound?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vladimir, May 4, 2009.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

So I am filling out my first "career application." It requires an online application and the last step is a form to leave comments. I decided to use this opportunity to provide most of the information my resume has, but that the online form does not have blanks to fill in for. The position is with Gonzaga University (Washington) as a Program Assistant for the International Student Programs/English Language Center. For those really interested I have copy/pasted the text for the position at the bottom... but anyway here is what I have filled in for the "comments" and was wondering if anyone had advice, thumbs up, thumbs down, whatever it deserves :D.

---- Comments ----

I believe I am uniquely qualified for this position. Beyond my standard achievements and qualifications I have a passion for other cultures which encouraged me to get my degree in International Studies. I have done mission work in areas like impoverished Yakima, and Mexico, and have studied in Eastern Europe- spending three weeks in Estonia, Ukraine, and the Russian Federation. I also currently study Russian, and hope to continue my studies in the language.

In addition, my brother was adopted from Guatemala. This unique opportunity has given me personal experience in assisting an individual who was unfamiliar with the country and culture. Finally, my strong devotion to my traditional Christian Faith uniquely equips me in service to a Catholic university.

I will be receiving my B.A. in International Studies, as well as a B.A. in History from Whitworth University in June, upon completion of Russian (through Spokane Falls Community College) and an independent study program on U.S. Foreign Policy. In addition to my academic achievements I have many other certifications and accomplishments I would like to list.

I have certifications (from expertrating.com) in the following areas: Microsoft Windows XP, Windows 95/98, Microsoft Word 2000, Microsoft PowerPoint 2000, Computer Technician, Networking Concepts, Computer Skills, Computer Technical Support (brainbench.com). I am an Eagle Scout and have a long list of awards from my three years in Junior ROTC in high-school, including a medal from the American Legion for Scholastic Excellence, and the National Sojourners Medal (for displaying patriotism).

Finally I would like to list one last reference who is not a "professional" reference, but was one of my JROTC instructors who I worked closely with for two years as I served in leadership positions for our unit.

MSgt. Rick Demarco: (***) ***-**** or *******

---- Job Text ----
    Actually here is the link with the job listing.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Sounds good, Vlad.

When I was hiring, I looked at resumes with two things in mind.

1. Does the applicant have the guts to finish a job (did he/she complete the difficult job of getting the training.)

2. Does the applicant have the ability to think about what the job needs, rather than just following a rote solution.

Only then do I look at the actual training to see if the PhD in Philosphy has given the applicant the basic knowledge required to run an acid bath circuit board etching machine.

Pops

3. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Impressive, You've been busy. listing hobbies (the right ones) can help.

4. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

PM on route. Give it some thought.

5. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

Doh you fill out a generic resume form and then once you actually apply for the position you have to include a cover letter... so will probably just retool this into a cover letter tomorrow, tie it into Gonzaga's mission statement and badda-bing, badda-boom.

Here's hoping it turns into something fruitful, and cross your fingers that benefits are included. With two degrees out of college I was sure hoping to make more than 25 grand a year (I could make almost that if I went back to loading people's trucks at the building materials store!) and would be tough to commit to that without benefits!

How sweet if it pans out and I get it, could be a record, one application out of college to get a job :D. Not getting my hopes too high, but honestly I meet or exceed all the DESIRED qualifications, let alone the required qualifications.

6. glocknut

glocknut Active Member

Honestly, i didn't think Burger King was that picky about their applicants.... :eek::D:D:D:D;)

mike
    gn

7. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

One could add a paragraph about what you want to do in the future. Something like 'I am excited about the next step in my working life, and feel the burger buiness is one I would really enjoy being a part of'. or/and 'Taking the burger business as a whole I am especially interested in the tasting section, where I believe I can make a real contribution'.

8. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I think you are on the right track, Vlad. Right on about your goals: How about adding a general goal that you would want to achieve for THEIR department?

This would illustrate that you have given thought to their specific departmental situations. It wouldn't have to be anything elaborate: What you want to to demonstrate is that you bring specific 'what I can do for you/my goals for YOU' items to the table.

Just a thought . . . .

9. Vladimir

Vladimir Active Member

Well I didn't even get an interview :(. Finally got a hold of someone today, 80+ applicants, 60+ of which were qualified, only 5 scheduled for interviews :eek:. At least I know it wasn't some screwup on my part ;). But unfortunate nonetheless :(. Looks like I will be heading back to Seattle in June, and thats the real reason to ":(". Though it will have its perks, family, free room and board (for a while I guess), and access to the SPD LEO range, which means I can finally put a round or two through that new AR :D.

Of course it has its downsides too, like its Seattle, and not Spokane, plus did I mention its Seattle :rolleyes:. Maybe I will just have to run for office and fix the place :cool:.

--

Oh and yea I have looked quite a bit in Spokane, there isn't much else for me here. Unless something pops up real soon, I can't afford to sit out here looking for a job beyond early June so... No other positions at the colleges, the museums and stuff here are doing crap right now due to economy, and the big concrete company out here isn't hiring either.

10. artabr

artabr New Member

Sorry to hear about the non-interview.
    Like you say, there's always politics and political office. God knows we need thinking people in office. That being said, it is kinda fun watching Pelosi chasing her lies like a dog chasing her tail, although that is kinda redundant. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your future. ;) :)

Art

11. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

In a word..."Hired". Sounds like a job made for you.

12. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek Active Member

I've always thought "Can determine the composition of most drugs by taste" was a good quality to add to a resume...

13. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Sorry I didn't read the post about not getting an interview. I heard somewhere that on avg only one out of 200 applications gets an interview (or was that get's hired?). It's just a matter of keeping your spirits up when disappointed and keep plugging away, although I know you know that. Good luck Vlad.

14. sabashimon

sabashimon New Member

PM me Vlad when you get to Seattle, and if you're up for it, we can meet up at the police range for some shoot'n

15. swanshot

swanshot Active Member

Damn-----Sorry it didn't work out mate.