The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my name implies guns aren't really my area of expertise. I've been around them but never owned one. Now that I'm getting ready to start a family though I think it's a good idea to have a long gun available for me and my wife in case of an emergency.

Due to some legal issues from when I was a minor I assumed that I could never own a firearm. I was convicted of a non-violent felony as a minor but off parole when I was I was 19. No trouble since. The childhood felony did show up in several employment background checks in my early 20's. I moved across country since then and my last 2 jobs both ran background checks with me passing clean both times, so now I don't know what to think.

I live in Indiana which has very liberal gun laws. Looking at a shotgun for home defense. But above all else I want to make sure that anything I purchase is done legally. No point of using a gun to defend yourself if it will result in imprisonment for having a gun in the first place.

I'm guessing the best way to find out if I can buy a gun is to go to the gun shop and apply. I'm just not certain about the entire process. I read that there are loopholes that can happen which can make a legally purchased gun illegal to own however and that worries me.

So that brings me here. What's the process for buying a long gun in the state of Indiana? Are there any fees when I apply? Is there anything I should know before heading into the nearest gunsRus that could keep me from doing things the right way? Would it be necessary to contact an attorney before hand?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Sounds like a pretty touchy deal with your legal situation. You may want to contact an attorney - if you can afford one. I don't mean to insult you - it's just that those fees can run into some serious cash.

The thing is that you were convicted of a felony. I assume that you were a minor - and if that is the case your records may be sealed - I just don't know enough here to say. As far as your being able to legally purchase a firearm - whenever you buy a firearm there is a Federal Form/Questionnaire that you are required to fill out. I haven't purchased a firearm in a while, but I seem to recall that one of the questions asked was something like "have you ever been convicted of a Felony" and/or "have you ever been convicted of Domestic Violence". I'm not sure, but I think a "Yes" on these disqualify you from buying a firearm. You need to check into this. Since you were a minor you may well be qualified to own a firearm today.

Just for grins and giggles, go down to a gun shop and ask them if you can see 'the Federal Form' for a firearm purchase. Let them know that you are thinking about buying a firearm, and are just curious what the basic 'federal questions' are. You don't need to share your life story - just tell them you've never bought a firearm before and are curious. Unless it is a shop owned/run by Jerks (there are some of those) they will be happy to help you out.

I know very few people who were "little Angels" as minors. I do know maybe one or two for a fact - but I certainly wasn't in that number. My next older brother and my best friend growing up were in that class. I was a Black Sheep - nothing serious - but enough. Hope it works out well for you and Good Luck!

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
Or, heck, you can just google

"atf form 4473"

and look at a copy on the web.

·
Philogynist & Sycophant, Looking For Work
6,784 Posts
Great advice, Alpo! I'm still a knuckle-dragger and that hadn't occurred to me. Saves a trip to the gun shop.
Why would anyone want to miss a trip to a gun shop?:confused::confused:

IIRC from my several law classes over the years, a felony conviction as a minor doesn't count, as records from childhood are supposed to be sealed. In the practical world, that rule is usually ignored by law enforcement. But a felon who has completed the terms imposed by the courts can petition to have Civil Rights restored. After a certain time, too, a court can be asked to expunge any record of a conviction, meaning that as far as the law is concerned, the conviction never happened. Any local lawyer should be able to help with this, and many offer a free, or very inexpensive, initial consultation. In this case it would be money well spent.

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
Welcome to TFF
If you were convicted when you were under age but was on parole intill 19 then you were charged as a adult. If you were charged as a minor then you would not have been on parole after 18.
You can not try to buy a gun.
A lawyer will be necessary.
As it has been already said on the 4473 you are asked if you EVER have been convicted of a felony and when you answer yes the back round check is not even called in.
Answering no will only cause you more trouble.
Mike

·
Registered
16,888 Posts
He says he's "moved across the country" since the childhood felony.

So he can't get his rights restored in Indiana - Indiana did not take them. Has to be done in the state where he was convicted.

Don't know whether he has to be PHYSICALLY in the state, or whether a lawyer can do it from out-of-state. But if he was convicted in Florida (for example), he'd have to petition Florida to get his rights back - Indiana has no say in the matter.

·
Premium Member
34,535 Posts
As my name implies guns aren't really my area of expertise. I've been around them but never owned one. Now that I'm getting ready to start a family though I think it's a good idea to have a long gun available for me and my wife in case of an emergency.

Due to some legal issues from when I was a minor I assumed that I could never own a firearm. I was convicted of a non-violent felony as a minor but off parole when I was I was 19. No trouble since. The childhood felony did show up in several employment background checks in my early 20's. I moved across country since then and my last 2 jobs both ran background checks with me passing clean both times, so now I don't know what to think.

I live in Indiana which has very liberal gun laws. Looking at a shotgun for home defense. But above all else I want to make sure that anything I purchase is done legally. No point of using a gun to defend yourself if it will result in imprisonment for having a gun in the first place.

I'm guessing the best way to find out if I can buy a gun is to go to the gun shop and apply. I'm just not certain about the entire process. I read that there are loopholes that can happen which can make a legally purchased gun illegal to own however and that worries me.

So that brings me here. What's the process for buying a long gun in the state of Indiana? Are there any fees when I apply? Is there anything I should know before heading into the nearest gunsRus that could keep me from doing things the right way? Would it be necessary to contact an attorney before hand?
Welcome to the forum! You've been given some good advice, follow it! I spent some of my youth in reform school. But as a minor, I was cleared for a Top Secret security clearance in the military. And have no problems buying guns. You on the other hand were still under probation at 19, so as another member posted you were probably convicted as an adult. And you will have to petition to get your rights back in that state. It will be costly, but not to bad in some cases. My stepson has just gone thru the process of getting his rights back in Louisiana. He is now a court appointed server, and he carries a gun. It is doable!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts