The Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Beth, I've got several different Aguila 22 types.

Colibri is okay, but might stick in rifle barrels.

Super Colibri is great, up to about 20 feet. Farther than that and bushy-tailed tree rats take multiple shots to kill 'em.

Subsonic is fine. Better than Remington (although that's not hard to be).

High Velocity is fine. Not as accurate, in my guns, as Federal Lightnings, but again, beats the hell out of Remington, and is cleaner than Winchester.

SSS. Super Silent Sniper, or some such nonsense as that. A 60 grain bullet (instead of the normal 40) in a 22 Short case, giving the same overall length of a 22 Long Rifle. The heavier bullet and smaller case have it going around 850 fps. Supposedly it was designed for using in silenced guns. It keyholes in everything I have shot it in. The bullet is too long and too slow for the rifling twists of the guns I've used. Maybe I'll find something that likes it - one of these days.

Bottom line - Aguila is fine ammo. I prefer Federal Lightning and CCI Mini Mags, but would take Aguila High Velocity before ANY Remington, before Winchester Wildcats and before Federal Copper-clad.

·
Registered
18,259 Posts
Not really sure of your question, Beth.

"Regular prices" ? You mean from before the craziness?

Of course, it will depend on bullet type and manufacturer, but

22 magnum ran 8 to 10 dollars a box of 50.

Brass-cased 9mm ball (WWB) was around 10 dollars a box of 50. Better bullets cost more - up to a dollar a round, and steel-cased Russian ball was cheaper.

30 Carbine US ball was around 20 bucks for 50. The Remington or Winchester HP or SP ammo was closer to 30 for 50. Aguila ball was about 18 and Wolf was quite cheap - around 12 for 50, but Wolf was also quite a bit less powerful than the others, and it was steel and Berdan, so not reloadable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.