AR-15/1911 in competition shooting?

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

mako1s
    (1/14/03 5:54:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All AR-15/1911 in competition shooting?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am very interested in shooting AR-15 and 1911 in competition, but do not know how to get started or where to go. Any information would be great, also let me which makes are worth using in competition. I'm thinking about getting a Bushmaster, and a Kimber to start.
    Thanks
    mako1s
    mako1s@aol.com

pickenup
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/15/03 1:24:21 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: AR-15/1911 in competition shooting?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For competition shooting look here. There are other groups out there.
    www.idpa.com/

www.ipsc.org/

IShootBack
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/24/03 8:34:08 pm)
    Well, your'e talking apples and oranges friend.

First, you have to decide what type of shooting you want to do. Most organized matches shoot one or the other, rarely both. There are matches that shoot bullseye, and some that shoot "scenarios" where you need to move and think.

Second, establish you budget, then buy the best you can afford. Stay away from low cost 'deals" or 'specials'.

Third, join a club that has regular matches. Go and ask questions. Any gun club I have ever been has been more than friendly at encouraging new shooters to their ranks. Most times, they'll let you try out some of their guns or use range guns if available.

It takes a lot of practice at either rifle or pistol to become competative.

IMHO, Bushmaster makes an excellant .223. While I'm no fan of 1911's, I hear lots of good things about Kimber's and Para-Ordance. I'm a Glock man myself and encourage you to try before you buy. In my neck of the woods, there are gun ranges where you can rent darned near any tye of legal handgun to try out. Real cheap way to find out what you may like or not.

Good Luck.
    ISB
    Guns cause crime, like spoons made Rosie fat

jp58c
    (2/16/03 12:14:34 pm)
    Hey don't forget National Matches/NRA bullseye

www.odcmp.com/

It'll teach you what can be done without a scope, addictive.
    Then try Palma /long range
    SEMPER FI

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/19/03 8:16:59 pm)
    Suggest in you want two guns, you`ll be better off shooting "Three Gun" matches......great fun. Shotgun/Rifle/Pistol........seperates good from bad-very quickly.

LTS