The Firearms Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
From what you describe as your situation it would be hard to find a better fit than a shotgun unless it intimidates you. I would normally say #4 buckshot but in your situation heavy turkey loads may be more suitable. Your son should be able to bring you up to speed with his training. What did he suggest? He has a better understanding of your situation, skills and potential capabilities than any cyber adviser.
My son would go with a shotgun although he would not encourage anyone to buy a gun in the first place. As an LEO, he doesn’t want everyone to have a gun. Can’t blame him for that in today’s anti-police environment.

·
Registered
43 Posts
By proficient, I mean able to shoot accurately when there's verbal abuse, threats, screams, and hot lead flying at you.

I haven't had this happen to me, but I know from experience playing paintball up close and personal, that your composure and effectiveness degrade under stress.

If I expected to use my pistol for self defense, (Not allowed in my country unless as an absolute last resort), I'd shoot thousands of rounds as practice.

Reactions: Alaska444

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Bedside is my SIG 556,64gr PowerPoints,great round that expands and does'nt over penetrate...with S L O.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Sorry, Guys, but I still say a shotgun. If the poster was like *most* of us (being around guns forever) AND WENT OUT PRACTICING FREQUENTLY - then I'd agree with the AR as a good choice for home defense.

This isn't the case. He has some past experience with shooting - but isn't an avid gun-nut like we are. Using a pistol or rifle proficiently takes a lot of practice just to be good using it on a shooting range. Adding to that the stress of using it at night - inside of your home - when you and your family are under immediate threat of harm - and a live human trying to kill you is your target - way too much for a casual gun owner to overcome. Even a trained *expert* gets the shakes under direct combat. One tells you they don't and they are lieing to you.

Get a pump shotgun, put at least 3 or 4 boxes of bird shot thru it at 10 to 15 yard targets to see what happens at that range to the targets. Get used to the mechanical operation of that shotgun so your mechanical muscle reflexes will come automatically and you have less to think about when you need it. With that - good luck and may God bless!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Best home defense gun? My vote goes to an SBR AR-15, suppressed, shooting subsonic 300 BO. I don't like shooting at indoor gun ranges, they are so loud, even with doubled up ear protection. I can't imagine shooting even a 38 spcl without ear protection. The muzzle flash from a handgun will blind you for several seconds in a darkened hallway and will give away your position. I used to keep a set of electronic ear muffs next to my handgun. Now I keep the 300 BO, SBR next to the bed. Overpenetration should not be a problem with a 230 gr. bullet @ 1000 fps.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts