The Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone im looking into buying my first firearm and its a ar 15 and ive got a few questions. What is required to purchase a ar? What forms do you have to fill out to purchase the firearm, is it a normal 4473 form or do you need to fill out special paper work to buy a ar 15? Is purchasing a AR 15 like purchasing a typical shotgun or do you have to go through different steps since an AR is a semi automatic rifle and just a overall deadlier weapon? I would appreciate all information:) I live in Los Angeles

·
Super Moderator
41,399 Posts
All it takes in the rest of the country is just the 4473. I have no idea what it might take in LA. Your local gun shop should be able to answer your question.

My question to you is what makes an AR an "overall deadlier weapon" than any other rifle, or pistol, or bow and arrow, a knife, a hammer, or a car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think a ar is deadlier than any other weapon i was comparing it to a gun you would normally get through filling out a 4473 form like a shotgun. What im trying to find out is if a AR requires special paper work like a class 3 weapon would since its a more advanced reliable firearm for crime. I hope you get what im trying to say but i dont think a ar is deadlier than any other weapon.

·
Super Moderator
41,399 Posts
As I said before, it takes only the 4473 in most of the country. I live in Georgia where I can go into my LGS and fill out the 4473, present my CCW, plop down some cash and take it home with me. As a matter of fact, I did that yesterday with two AR-15 Lower Receivers. It is possible that where you live it is not as easy as that. LA being in that liberal, gun grabbing state then it could be different there.

But again, what makes an AR-15 a "more advanced reliable firearm for crime"? I do get what you are saying but an AR is no more deadlier than any other weapon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I said before, it takes only the 4473 in most of the country. I live in Georgia where I can go into my LGS and fill out the 4473, present my CCW, plop down some cash and take it home with me. As a matter of fact, I did that yesterday with two AR-15 Lower Receivers. It is possible that where you live it is not as easy as that. LA being in that liberal, gun grabbing state then it could be different there.

But again, what makes an AR-15 a "more advanced reliable firearm for crime"? I do get what you are saying but an AR is no more deadlier than any other weapon.
Yeah i totally agree its not deadlier than any other weapon but thanks for understanding and spreading some knowledge much appreciated thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,883 Posts
I dont think a ar is deadlier than any other weapon i was comparing it to a gun you would normally get through filling out a 4473 form like a shotgun. What im trying to find out is if a AR requires special paper work like a class 3 weapon would since its a more advanced reliable firearm for crime. I hope you get what im trying to say but i dont think a ar is deadlier than any other weapon.
"more advanced reliable firearm for crime"...Are you trolling??

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I am not sure, but my understanding is that a standard AR is not available in the Peoples Republic of Commiefornia. Something about magazines can't be detachable without a tool, or some such stupidity. Someone who is familiar with the arcane laws over there will be along shortly.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
If you pass a back round check (4473) Then you can buy one that is complaint to your CAL. laws.
Don't forget there are semi auto shot guns too.
Mike

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
By the way, blunt objects are used to commit homicide more often than modern sporting rifles such as the much maligned AR-15. Therefore, a baseball bat is probably more "reliable for crime" purposes than an AR.;)

·
Registered
10,318 Posts
A bat IS more reliable then ANY gun.
It will not jam and does not have to be reloaded.
Mike
And you don't have to pass a back ground check or register a baseball bat and there aren't any laws banning felons or the criminally insane from purchasing or possessing them.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
And you don't have to pass a back ground check or register a baseball bat and there aren't any laws banning felons or the criminally insane from purchasing or possessing them.
But if you carry it concealed in your car it is a good idea to have a glove or ball with it. LOL
Don't expect a robber or carjacker to have enough equipment to play! ROFL

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Did anyone else find that whole line of questioning rather odd? "More reliable for crime?" Why would anyone ask that question if they weren't trolling?. I also noticed he made four posts and done. Don't these people have better things to do with their time? If not, I have a bunch of yard work that needs doing now that spring is coming.

·
Premium Member
19,870 Posts
I live in the only county in Illinois where I can't own an AR15. Cook County. You will have to look into your local laws.

Reactions: carver

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I hope that OP is just naïve and has been indoctrinated by the media and antigun lobby and not a troll.
at this point its hard to tell which one

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
In California you can not own an assault weapon without special expensive registration and tough rules to follow to use it. As delivered in other states the AR are deemed assault weapons in California. But you can buy California versions that are legal today (CA legislature is in the process of trying to change that). The trick is the way the gun is accessorized. It can not have a flash suppressor but can have a muzzle break (reduces effects of recoil). The gun must have the "Bullet Button" which requires a tool to remove the magazine. The courts have said the nose of a bullet is a legal tool. The magazine can not hold more than 10 rounds. There are a list of features that are acceptable and those in some combination that are not. Most all manufacturers of AR's make a California Legal version.

All firearms have to be registered in California and must be sold through a legal dealer, both new and used. All are subject to a 10 day waiting period and a background check. I haven't bought a gun recently but I recollect that you have to pass a written safety test and pay for a license to buy firearms. It now includes both handguns and long guns. All of this is BS, but we Californian have to put up with this in this liberal anti-gun state. One of the recent additions is the "law" requires that every pistol is required to have a serialized code micro-engraved on the firing pin that marks the fired primer. The process is seriously flawed but it was implemented anyway. It has reduced the number of available pistols significantly as manufacturers just quit selling some guns in California.

The above is only a summary and may not be complete. A California gun dealer can fill in the details.

LDBennett

·
Registered
498 Posts
I call it the Peoples Republic of Kaliforniastan for a reason, On the serious side I can see that as the model for the rest of the country as a Republicrat compromise if Cankles the Clown gets elected:eek:

Reactions: FreshP
1 - 20 of 32 Posts